Why'd They Do That?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Olson

Why'd They Do That?

Post by Tom Olson »

I was wondering if anyone knew why Fender started making steel guitars (including pedal steels), and then stopped making them not too long afterward.

I'll bet Mr. Jody knows the answer. Was the decision to quit building them purely an economical decision based on profitability? If so, why did they start building them in the first place? Did the market go soft? I can't believe that it did.

Or, was their decision to quit building steels coincidental with some other event such as a change in ownership of the company or a change in company philosophy? Thanks ahead of time.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Olson on 10 January 2003 at 09:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

IMO,

Fender being an international company, opted for the wider sales that the steel guitar just didn't offer. If one considers that there are roughly around 30,000 steel guitar players worldwide, that is an infinitessimal part of the regular guitar players. I am sure there are 10's of millions of regular guitar players worlwide.

At the time Fender entered the market, Gibson, Richenbacker and National were large musical Instrument companies, and they all had steel guitars in their product line. Because back in the 30's 40's and 50's the steel guitar had much wider appeal amongst prospective buyers than it had later on. And sadly, now.

So IMO, Fender just decided to get out of the steel guitar business altogether. From a business standpoint it was and is probably a wise one, much to our sadness. It is just too bad that our beloved instrument did not find the appeal of the average youngster like the regular guitar found.

Interestingly, Fender lap steels (of the 50' and & 60's) are in wide demand nowadays. Particularly among Hawaiian Guitar lovers. This is not true of their pedal steels even considering that The Fender PSG's were quality steels. This due of couse to two over zealous whippesnappers bythunama Bud and Shot. Or was it the other way around.

The explosion of the Elvis era and Rock & Roll probably had a great deal to do with the demise of the steel guitar. It was just left out almost entirely in that unbelievable era in musical evolution.

Whether it will ever include a steel enmasse, is highly debatable.

carl
B Bailey Brown

Post by B Bailey Brown »

<SMALL> Fender being an international company opted for the wider sales that the steel guitar just didn't offer. </SMALL>
I think Carl is right on target with this. Additionally, as Carl mentioned, Fender lap Steels are very good instruments and still very much in demand to this day. The Fender 400 and 1000 peddle steels were excellent guitars and in some respects far ahead of their time!

I remember having a conversation with Jerry Blanton when he was designing his guitars in the early 1960’s. We were talking about his undercarriage Bell Crank and puller system, which for that time was rather unique. I said something like “Gee, that is really new and different…how did you think of that?” He said, “I didn’t…Leo Fender did it years ago. I just looked at what he did and thought, now that is really cool…and if he had just gone one or two steps further it would have been even better!”

My conclusion is that Leo Fender was a brilliant and innovative instrument and amplifier designer. He apparently was also a very good businessman! He went for the mass market…read that as the MONEY! Image

B. Bailey Brown
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Carl! Right on!
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Speaking of Fender innovations -- weren't some of the Fender pedal steels offered with keyless tuning heads? I'm not sure how I got that idea, but I seem to remember it from somewhere.
Dave Birkett

Post by Dave Birkett »

Was Leo still with Fender when they stopped making steels?
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

<SMALL>weren't some of the Fender pedal steels offered with keyless tuning heads? </SMALL>
It was the PS210 and there were something like 16 of them made. Gene Fields was the wizard behind them.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

<SMALL>I was wondering if anyone knew why Fender started making steel guitars (including pedal steels), and then stopped making them not too long afterward.</SMALL>
Leo Fender started making Steel guitars in 1943 and pedal Steels in '58. Leo sold the company in 1965 due to health problems. Fender Musical Instruments continued making steel guitars till 1981.
So from the first K&F steel to the last steel that Fender made, that makes 38 years that they were in the steel guitar business. Are there any other companies that have made steels for 38 years?
I think if he would of kept "Fender Instruments" they would be making steels today, since that's what he started the company with.
<SMALL>At the time Fender entered the market, Gibson, Richenbacker and National were large musical Instrument companies, and they all had steel guitars in their product line. Because back in the 30's 40's and 50's the steel guitar had much wider appeal amongst prospective buyers than it had later on.</SMALL>
The first guitar that Leo ever made was a steel(K&F). I think it had more to do with the fact that at that time the steel was the usually the only amplified instrument on stage.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Alvin Blaine on 11 January 2003 at 12:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Peter Cummins

Post by Peter Cummins »

While the subject of Fender Pedal Steel Guitars is being discussed, does anyone know of a site with information about these guitars. Thanks Image
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Emmons Guitar Co. has been making steels for 39 years... 40 years if you count the prototypes.

Sho~Bud longer still, but whether or not they remain as a functional business, with someone picking up the phone when you call, is a topic for debate.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

according to my fender history books i own...it says here that gene fields (GFI guitars )was a big part in that....

i agree with the others on this ...but i think gene could shed some lite on this thread

wayne
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Gene was at Fender from the early '60s thru the mid '80s, so he certainly witnessed the demise of the steel there.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

here's a stroll down memory lane....
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/003861.html
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Alvin -- thanks for the info. Actually, I didn't realize that Fender steels were marketed as early as the 40's or as late as the 80's. I was thinking it was more like the 50's to the 70's. But, in any case, I agree with you -- they were apparently marketed for a pretty long time.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Not too long ago (5-6 years) I saw a reissue of a D-8 stringmaster at a NAMM show. I am under the impression that these instruments are currently being manufactured and are available in Japan, but not here. I could be mistaken.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Since this years NAMM show is next week, I'll make it a point to go the Fender booth and ask about whether or not the re-issue stringmaster I saw is still available.
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Mike -- I know for a fact that Fender Japan is currently building both a single 6 and a single 8 Fender steel and have been apparently for a number of years. There is a music store in Japan that sells them and will ship anywhere in the world. The 8-string sells for around $1200 depening on the exchange rate of the day, and costs about $100 or so to ship to the US.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Carl Dixon gave the answer to the often asked
question as to "Why"?. There is another thread that explains the reason why in a simplified manner.

Gene had a great idea and a fine guitar, he also had the corporate shadow upon him.

Bob Campbell then President of Fender CBS had
Gene build a few of his PS 210 guitars of which I had probably the first sample that was sent to me for my evaluation.

If Gene reads this he will be aware of my comments to Mr.Campbell. I copied Gene on my
letter to Mr.Campbell.

The venture between Shot and Fender was short
lived,the Sho-Bud Fenders had all of Shobuds
design with the "add on" "manufactured to Fenders specifications attached".

Leo was long gone and the non pedal guitars were still in existence but barely. Leo left
in 65 and non pedal steels were still available until the group led by William Schultz took ownership of Fender.This was app
1988 Im not certain.

When Leo returned in all his glory with his newly formed Musicman company,,it was then I resigned from CBS.

Leo always loved steel guitar and the people
who played them.He was amazed at the prices
of instruments he developed so many years back and often asked me,,"why" do they spend so much money? when I can build a better
guitar than I ever did right now.

He was a modest man and never took anything for granted,he always thought he could do better than he did,he didnt rest on his laurels.

When MusicMan was having their internal problems,Leo set the G&L company up with Dale
Hyatt and George Fullerton. I got involved with Leo again.

Tom Walker,President of MusicMan and one of Fenders first salesman got together with Forrest White former plant manager for Fender
under Leo's command. That was the beginning
of Leos return. It was Walker who did much of the MusicMan amplifier design, while Leo took care of guitars and basses etc. Fast forward.

G&L was now in full swing and MusicMan was sold to Ernie Ball. There was no room for field reps with EB as all of their sales were generated by telephone marketing. It was
relativly easy for EB as the ground work was done and the MusicMan name was well known throught the world and the man who made it come to be,Leo Fender.

This is the answer to your question..When I called Leo back in 87,I told him of my finding my fourneck stringmaster (original)
"See GUITAR PLAYER" Feb 1988 where there is a story of my long lost Fender.

I told Leo was I was planning on coming out to the NAMM show and that I had a few problems with my "born again Quad" he said,,ship it here,I told him I was afraid to ship it,he said well,,darn it,I'll make a shipping case for ya.

I received a lock jointed case that was iron
clad and it was laquered and had a screw down top with hex nuts,so it could not easily
be opened by unauthorized personnel. It was as strong as a vault. And as heavy as well Image

I decided to go to the NAMM show after all.
When I arrived one of Leos people met me at
LAX and we went right over to Leo's.

There he was standing with a big smile on his
face and said,,well how did that baby hold up during your flight?? I said that baby is fine,,its me thats sick from the food and turbulance.

Before you could say "Leo" he took the vault
from me and opened it up. I could see by the expression on his face as to the joy of once again seeing one of the loves of his life.

It was as if the bright blonde finish reflected upon his smiling face when he said,darn it Jody,,who built this guitar for ya??. Image

I told him what was wrong with it and he then
did what he loves to do best,,tinker with it.
He asked me If I thought something like this
(Stringmaster) could sell if he could build them,.

I stuck my neck out and said Yes,I can sell some,,he said how many are "some",,I said "some" he then replied OK thats good enough for me.

Whatever he did to my quad,I'll never know,it sounded better than ever and ever was
great,I asked him what he did,he said,,I just took a few wrinkles out and said,,Jody
if you want a face lift I can do it for ya,with a big smile on his face.

It was shortly after that I sensed Leo was not feeling well,his telephone conversations were not as they were,he had a tone to his voice which I realized that he was ill.

He wanted to build another steel guitar non pedal,,his love for the instrument and the people who played them was his love.
He never lived long enough for that second dream to become a reality,but he always told
me,,( Im workin on somethin & when I get it all together I'll send ya one. He never did.

I have no doubt that the Japanese are working towards a limited production of Fender steel guitars.Most all of what was sold over the past few years was remnants of inventory left over from by gone days.

My feeling is,one would have to love steel guitar and the people who play them in order
for them to succeed.

Im not certain this is the case nowadays.
Mike P. If you go to the NAMM,,the atmosphere
is different and you have a better chance of getting a role in Godfather (4) as you will trying to find out "The Impossible Dream".Better wear your Sunday "Suit".

Leo Fender was the man,those of you who have his originals,keep them,,there will never be
another.

I promised myself I would not post this,
Smiley Roberts sent me the link to this and I
explained my reason.

I'll hate myself in the morning....

PS John Tipka was the last person to touch my quad. He is another dedicated man,cut from
the same mold somewhat as Leo Fender. I should have taken my wifes advice a long time ago and retired myself from this Forum.
Consider this post as a "Cameo" appearance.

The bottom line is,,you have to love the instrument and dedicate yourself to building
them and playing them..the current Fender has no interest in Steel Guitar..It was Leo's
whole life when he built what many called....

The "Diamond Guitar" reffering to Noel Boggs
Custom when Noel Played with Spade Cooley on KXLA TV.The "Diamond Handle" was that the 2 chrome diamonds on the guitar front were recognized as a Fender. It was just that, a Diamond. I hope this lasts you a long time,and to Smiley...next time dont e mail me Image Enough already...

IM retired...Gone Ice Fishin.. Image

Copyright "(c)" by Jody Carver 2003 All Rights Reserved.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 12 January 2003 at 04:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Jody, thanks for your post. I was reading in some other post that you had lived in Westchester County, NY. I was wondering if you might have lived in Peekskill or close to it. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Olson on 12 January 2003 at 11:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Tom
I lived in Somers for 38 years.