Lakeland Florida STEEL GUITAR SHOW

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Back in the early 80's, when I lived in Gainesville, FL, there used to be a steel show organized by a music store in Lakeland. Anybody remember the name of that store, the show and the organizer? Just curious...
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

JIM COHEN - Larry Self (Debery Fla.) organized Steel Shows back in the late 1990s in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

I attended the January 18th, 1997 & the January 17th, 1998 shows (Jeff Newman conducted a steel seminar at this show).

As I recall, Hal Rugg, Lynn Oslee, Herb Wallace, Walley Murphy, Jeff Newman, Bob Seymour and a few other top steel players performed at these steel shows. Both years had good attendance, and great steel music.

May 15-16 1999 I attended the Jacksonville, Florida steel show. Hal Rugg, Joe Wright, Doug Stock, Chet Gibson, Tommy Dowd, Bill Phelps, Bill Fergurson, John LeMasters plus a few other steel players all performed at the Jacksonville Steel Show. Joe Wright conducted a mini steel seminar.

In November28-30, 1998 Carl Dixon organized the MEGA Atlanta, Ga, steel show. This was a 3 day event.
STEEL PLAYERS:
TOM MORRELL
ROD PARKER
BOBBY SEYMOUR
MIKE JOHNSON
JOE WRIGHT
TOMMY DODD
LARRY SASSER
HAL RUGG
JACK STRAYHORN
HERB WALLACE
ALBERT SVENDVAL
JOAN HERNDON
TOM BRUMLEY
LEONARD ZINN
KAYTOPN ROBERTS
JOE TURNER
HERB REMINGTON
DAVID SPIRES

This show was worth 600 miles of driving from Ft Lauderdale to Atlanta.

Hope this all helps, by the way you performance back in the late 80s in Armonk, N.Y. (PSGA Show) was totally awesome especially when you performed a few tunes using the Midi IVY attachment. I still can here you peform a piano sounding song, "Take the A Train" using your C-6th neck.

Great Steel shows, all of them.

Ken
Larry Danley

Post by Larry Danley »

Bill Payne, had a steel guitar store, dealer for. MSA, and others
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

Larry - Did Mr. L. Self also own a steel store in DeBery, he may have moved to Nashville back in 2000-01. Any info on this.

Also, good luck on the steel show, Joe Wright is an excellent steel player and a very cool comedy actor.
His seminar is well worth the time and money.
KEN
Larry Danley

Post by Larry Danley »

Yes, Larry also had a music store in DeLand Fl. Larry had health issues, and that's when Haywood Henson, begin having the steel shows in central Fl. Larry moved to Tenn,

We have had shows for some time now, Joe has become our featured player, we use to have many featured players, but cost became an issue. As most of you know who have had these shows, but Haywood is determined to keep Steel Guitar alive in central Fl.

And happy to say it has work well for us, this far.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I believe it was indeed Bill Payne that I was thinking of. Thanks for the info. And, Ken, you have a very good memory! That show in Armonk (1984?) was the very first steel show that I'd ever played and I was nervous as all heck, especially with Buddy Emmons on the same program! I'm glad you have good memories of the experience; all I remember is being a bundle of nerves... and that Jody Carver and drummer Larry Eagle were very supportive. And I imagined Buddy was thinking: "Hey, I really liked what you were trying to do." ;)
Larry Danley

Re: Lakeland Steel Jam line up

Post by Larry Danley »

[quote="Larry Danley"]I'm looking forward to seeing the steel guitar lovers on the 26th of January, at Lakeland Florida Ramada Hotel. I-4 & highway 98. Exit 32

I'm excited about hosting this show! Haywood Henson

FEATURED. ARTIST: JOE WRIGHT

THE BAND:

Royce Morgan. Lead Guitar
Jim Frable. Piano
John LeMaster. Bass
Blue Grayson. Drums

Players:

Chet Gibson. Florida
Fred Thompson. Main
Bob Strum. South Caroline
Doug Jones. Oregon
Ollie & Ray Strong. Canada
John King. Florida
David O'Brian. Florida
John LeMaster Florida
Jack Dougherty Florida
Larry Danley. Florida
David. Christmas. South Caroline
Larry Danley

Post by Larry Danley »

The Steel Guitar Show, is just a short time away, I'm looking forward to seeing all the Steel Guitar Friends, If you have any questions about the Show, let me know.

I love the Steel Guitar, Haywood Henson
Jerry Tillman

ETS steels at steel show in Lakeland

Post by Jerry Tillman »

I will have a table at the show with a display of ETS steels.They have a great sound and are lite but stable.Come by and check them out.I may also join in on the show.Thanks Jerry. call for more details 772 215 7070
Danny Hammers
Location: Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.

Post by Danny Hammers »

Bump for the good guys

Danny
Gibson Console Grand D8 - Weenick DT-10 - Dynalap S8 - TriboTone Bars
Nashville 112s - Vegas 400
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Barrett Williams

Post by Barrett Williams »

Can't wait!! I will be there.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hi Guys Anna and I won't be able to make this one but hopefully we will be moved to Sebring buy the time the next one comes around.WE have a Daughter that lives in Lakeland Florida. She is a Nurse and she works in a nursing home about a mile from her home.I think once we get down there and settled I may look around for a place to have a Steel Guitar Jam about every three months. I will make sure there are no other in Florida so as not to interfear with any other steel Guitar Jams or shows. I'm just thinking right now we will see what is around the area.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hey Jim Cohen there was also one in A AUrburN Fl. and it was run by young Dan Witterker and his farther was a Steel Player and he passed away a few years back.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association