Need advice on 8 string Melobar pickup

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Curt Langston

Need advice on 8 string Melobar pickup

Post by Curt Langston »

Hey guys! I am wondering who makes a decent pickup for an 8 string Melobar lap. I have heard that Lawerence does....Also, since this lap thing is new to me, which tuning would be best to learn on? I have been told C6th..Low to high ACEGACEG..Any advice would be appeciated. I am just trying to lighten my load of equipment, and the lapsteel seems very interesting....Also, I think that I need advice on string guages.(I know where the chart is)...I just wanted to know if heavier strings on the bass end would sound better....Like I said, this is new, and I need help!....Thanks.
Ted Smith
Location: Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"

Post by Ted Smith »

Curt, if you go back through the forum you'll find a dozen post on the 8 string upgrade pickup to a Lawrence Stringmaster style for the Melobar Tomohawk model, that was replaced by the new TD8 model, that now comes stock with the Lawrence Stringmaster. Why didn't you contact me directly through our web site?

Ted www.melobar.com
Ted Smith
Location: Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"

Post by Ted Smith »

Sorry Curt, I didn't put 2 and 2 together there, that you were the one who had an older model Tomohawk stolen. For insurance purpose both the original model and the new model are the same price. Good luck finding it.

Ted
g montgomery

Post by g montgomery »

Tomahawk. Drink much?
Ted Smith

Post by Ted Smith »

Don't drink at all, Tommyhawk Guitars actually threatened me with a law suit so we have been spelling it with the o for trade mark reasons, and I think we are just going to go with TD8. People are so wonderful in this world.

Ted