Fender PS 210

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Van Allen

Fender PS 210

Post by Dave Van Allen »

How many were actually produced?
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

Gene Fields would know! and then some!
Doug Seymour

Post by Doug Seymour »

Seems like it was posted here sometime or other. I think you could count them on one hand?? Bill Nauman in Vegas had one!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I thought it was less than 10, turns out there were 15 of them (made by Fender), and 1 more that Gene Fields made up of leftover PS210 parts, and some home made parts. Really want one? Then expect to pay around 10 grand!

Discontinuing this guitar has to rank as Fender's biggest goof, IMHO. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 17 April 2002 at 05:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

yeah Donny, I agree... back when they were in the Fender catalog I came REAL CLOSE to buying one as my first d10... woulda shoulda coulda
I loved the LOOK of it in the catalog photos.... never seen one in the flesh tho

here's a link to Gene's Site article page about it... with no indication how many... http://www.gfimusicalproducts.com/profile2.html <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 17 April 2002 at 11:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I believe there were 15 of the 210's produced. I have #5, Al Gershin has one, and the fellow who builds the Whitney has one as I am to believe. I don't know where the others are. As I've said in other threads, even to this day, I feel that the 210 was way ahead of it's time.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Crow Bear- THAT'S the picture!! the one that made a teenage country rock wannabe drool...
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Arizona Music Center in Glendale AZ let me try one out over a weekend in 1972.

It was $1500. and the pedals worked both necks by throwing a switch, also the pickups were activated that way too. It was capable of 9 pedals or 5 pedals and 4 knee levers. This one had all nine pedals.but they could work both necks. Like the Williams of today.

I played a lot of standards on the C6 at the store and it sounded great to me. The people around me thought so too.

It had a much improved changer than my Original Gibson Electra-Harp of which about 7 were made before WWII, but similar in that Screw on a tuning bar made the chords.

I almost bought one but I had a Push Pull Emmons at the time and liked it pretty well.

I didn't think they were going to just drop it like they did. Dumb Move....al Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 17 April 2002 at 03:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Hey Al,,,,you calling FENDER "DUMB"????

What makes you say that. Image

I received (here we go again) the first ever
salesman sample, WHY you ask??? because I was
the only salesman who played steel guitar.

Why do I have to repeat this?? Its killing me
and you all say I tell long stories.....Its
because you ask "long questions" .

The PS 210 was sent to me, as a sample for my
evaluation. My comments to the "suits" was of
a positive YES,,,,ITS GREAT.....I called Gene
at the office (Fullerton Calif) and told him
how much I liked his guitar,,,I have copies
of my letter to the "suits" with a complete
evaluation of the PS 210.

They asked each salesman on the sales force..
How many do you think you can sell??
How many dealers will stock this guitar??
Do you feel more emphasis should be directed
towards the Fender Rhodes Piano keyboard line?? CBS was "big daddy" back then.

No one but me voted YES for the PS 210. CBS
is to blame. I was really bugged by that stupid decision.

BUT,,,,,,,they proved that the RHODES (took
off the (Fender part of the name) "long story" and the Rhodes Pianos sold like Ice Cream on a "hot summers" day.

I would advise each of you to discontinue watching a CBS TV channel or an affiliate of
CBS....they did me wrong,,,they did YOU wrong
"how dare they to ignore my advice".

Gene is a fine guy,,,ask him about the only
one who supported his effort,,,,tell him
Broadway Jody sent ya. Image Image Is this too long
or do you want more.????

Operators are standing by,,,,your call is important to us,,,,your call may be monitored
for quality assurance. Thank You.

What do you expect from a bunch of guys who
wear those (3) button suits and wing tip shoes at CBS,,,Brains??? NO they didnt have any. It was the clothes that mattered.

They even had their hair cut every two weeks.
They were really weird.

I was the only normal one...ask Gene.. Image

This is a "True Story" Only the names have been changed to protect the "GUILTY".

Walter Cronkite agreed with me. And thats the
way it was. Goodnite. edited as Walter just called me to do his TV show "60" Minutes" they have to lenghten the show to "180" minutes because I will be on the show. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 18 April 2002 at 04:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

I think Billy Cooper has one on display in his shop in Orange, Va.

Greg
Winnie Winston

Post by Winnie Winston »

apropos of Jody's story...
Long ago and far away I worked as a designer for Creative Playthings-- children's toys. They had just been bought by CBS. I had to sign an amazing contreact that I wouldn't do a bunch of stuff without their permission-- write books (they owned publishers), play major sports (they owned the Yankees) and a lot more.
We were out in Hightstown, NJ and the "art" bunch. We wore colored shirts with non-matching ties, and had messy deasks. It made the "shirts" crazy.

Winnie
Gene Fields

Post by Gene Fields »

There were about 15 PS 210's produced by Fender. The entire steel guitar line was discontinued at that time, not just the 210. They felt that there were too many players wanting different combinations of set ups and that their production wasn't intended to be a custom shop.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Hey Gene, welcome to the Forum, and glad to finally see you on here! Image We can sure use your help with some of the steel guitar history. As you know, my memory is the second shortest thing I have! Image
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

thank you Gene!

straight from the source!
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

*<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 04:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Fields

Post by Gene Fields »

I've got to correct my earlier post, since I made a typographical omission. Only the PEDAL guitar line was discontinued as knee levers were new and the older models did not offer them. Too many people were ordering special setups and I reluctantly agreed with marketing that this instrument did not belong on the production line.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Image Image Image Image
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Gene,
Good to see you on the Forum! If you're in St. Louis this year I'll see you there. I haven't made it since '98.

On the Steel Guitarists of Hampton Roads website www.evertize.com/sutphin I wrote a little piece about the PS 210 and also have a picture of the one which is in Billy Cooper's store........Later, Jerry

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Gene remember Bob Campbell?? He was President of all six (6) divisions of CBS Musical Instruments.
Fender
Rogers
Rhodes
Gulbranson
Leslie
Steinway

And that was not including his own..
Campbells Soup.. Image Image He didnt know a steel guitar from a "trombone". But a nice man overall...He was a product of the Piano business where they didnt use knee levers.

How are you doing???do you miss CBS??? dont have to answer that in public... Image PS When Campbell left CBS..he offered me a position with his Campbell's Soup company.
I accepted and was the "exclusive" rep for the entire East Coast....however,,,I had only one line of his products.

The Bean Soup,,,man it was a real "GAS".<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 18 April 2002 at 04:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Hi Gene- Jody= those guys in the 3 pc suits should checked around a little more. Those PS=210"s were the easiest to change a pedal pull that exists even to today.

I had an Gibson Electra-harp with a similar changer and I used to change a pedal pull or change IN BETWEEN SONGS ON THE BANDSTAND try that wtih any other steel.That's also without turning it upside down!

Gene- I am sure that you had the knowledge and expertise to take the cables off of 4 pedals and hook them to knee levers. Then you would have about what Williams has today 4 or 5 knee levers and 4 or 5 pedals, plenty enough as you have two necks to work with.

I am glad to see you breaking tradition as you did with the PS-210. ,with your own GFI ULTRA. You have a lot of good ideas there.

They could have made the Rhodes Piano, (which was very popular) and the PS-210 both.

To completely drop all pedal guitars, after they had a big part of the market, was silly and dumb to say the least....al Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 18 April 2002 at 04:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Al
You should have been President of CBS Fender.
But you would have to have had a "suit". I have a few extras if you need one. Send me your size...One Size fits all.

Corporate Structure. or is it Corporate Destruction? Image
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Winnie
I was not aware that you were part of the CBS
"family". Thats interesting and I enjoyed your comments. Bob Maickle President and
"founder" of the PSGA was an employee of CBS all of his career.

Bob was head engineer at CBS NYC for a number of years until his retirement a few years back.Bob was a competent engineer.

Bob worked with people such as Walter Cronkite on a daily basis as well as many other local and network shows,. I was suprised to see you were also a member of CBS affliate's "Creative Playthings".

I guess we were all one "Happy??" family.

I will tell you a story which more or less supports your comments.

Just after CBS aqquired Fender,,,there was a
number of "new policy's " put into effect.
Rather than addressing the issues at hand regarding products etc sales etc,,they had to
start with something more important to them.

"Dress Code" for all FENDER Salesman.

A Blanket letter was sent to each Fender sales rep (15) nationwide. The letter was as follows.

ATTENTION ALL FENDER CBS SALES REPRENTATIVES.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATLY.

There will be a dress code put into effect for all members of the CBS sales staff. There
will be NO EXCEPTIONS.

We are requesting that all Fender CBS salesman send their suit size to "no names here" "this guy may be watching" our office and list your suit size,,,,,trousers included
"geez" I had hoped so,,,what no pants???.

The letter went on to say....All Salesman are to be dressed according to CBS dress code.
The regalia,,,or was it "Ragalia"? is to be
Navy Blue 'Single Breasted Coat to fit,what was this?? a coat not to fit?? it follows with,,,you will be expected to wear contrasting "tan" "beige" trousers as well as
a white shirt and "marroon tie".

Please send your sizes to "no mame" and he will order your apparel.

Be sure to include your correct size as far a
jacket size,,,sleeve lenghth etc etc. It is most important as well to submit your trouser
waist size as well as the length you require. "I guess they meant "No short Shorts".

The trousers will be cuffed and shoes are optional as long as they are black in color.
A White Shirt is a MUST repeat....A White Shirt is a MUST.

Failure to comply with the information herein
will or can lead to dismissal of those who do not co-operate and adhere to CBS policy.

All of our sales force dressed neat and appropriate...Luke Morris (god rest his soul) he was the epitome of class,,he always
worn those "southern gentleman clothes" lightweight well fitted clothes,,his white hair complimented his overall appearance.

Ole Luke covered the southern part of the United States,,,Alabama No & So Carolina etc.
He was well respected and well liked by those who knew him.

Another was a good friend and the very first
ever sales rep for Leo Fender years ago. He was from TEXAS. He covered the Southwest and
he too dressed appropriate,,he was well attired in expensive and well fitting western cut suits including "Luchese" boots which you could see your face in,,,,he was well groomed. He stood 6 ft 7 inches tall and had that "western drawl" he looked like
"High Noon" in the flesh weighing in at about 245 lbs and well built. He didnt take any S..t from anyone.

As for myself,,I always wore a good fitting conservative suit and or sports coat and I too dressed accordingly.

Ditto most all of the Fender salesman dressed
well.

I sent my sizes of the coat,,trousers etc etc to this individual who was to have these
CBS issue outfits sent to Chicago to the Namm
Show.

I was careful to make certain the size of what I sent was correct....Jacket size 39 regular....trousers size 32 waist....length 33 inches,,,,shirt 15" neck 33 sleeve length.

This was a "major project" and no doubt a special person was hired to do this important
job. This was the "Big Time".

The feed back from a few of the old guard of Fender salesmen were not complimentary to say the least,,,I never heard the "F" word used as much as I did regarding this new policy.

It outlined NO COWBOY BOOTS will be acceptable.

IMPORTANT ANYONE WHO DOES NOT ADHERE TO THIS
POLICY may submit himself to IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL. THIS IS A MUST.

When I arrived at the Hotel Pick Congress in Chicago,,,my new outfit was waiting for me.
I put the jacket on,,,it was down to my knees
and was a 44 LONG..the trousers were able to be wrapped around my waist 3 times and I would still have room to spare.

The "Crotch" was down below my knees,,,,there
was room enough for a Twin Reverb to fit inside the crotch with room for a P bass.

It was no suprise to me however,,,somehow I was expecting the worst,,I dont know why..Oh yes,,,,the tie did fit. The shirt looked like
a twin sized bed sheet.
I looked like a poor imitation of Soupy Sales
Woody Allen and Pinky Lee all rolled up into one.

I didnt care,,,they asked for it,,,,they got it. I walked into the Convention Center with my new CBS "look"....I walked over to the individual who was in charge of this abortion and said,,,Well....How Do I Look???
His reply was ,,,Sir....thats me,,,I sense a bit of sarcasim in your tone of voice.

I said Oh Yeah??? you should be in my pants.
I said I ordered one pair of pants for one person "ME" I didnt order pants for a "Three Some". My jacket looked like an overcoat,,you could not see my hands as the sleeves covered them....I didnt need gloves. Image

As I infuriated him,,,he turned red and replied (Sir) thats me,,,do you know what CBS Is? and what it stands for,,,I thought for a moment and said to myself in the presence of 9 Fender salesman who looked almost as bad as I did,,,I replied "yes sir" I know what CBS stands for..................

C....onstant B....ull S......T.

He walked away in digust,,I dont think he liked the way my pants fit....I said to him
Hey Sam....you made the pants too loooooong.

CBS purchased The New York Yankees as Winnie
stated,,,they paid $11 million dollars for The Yankees.....they paid $15.5 Million dollars for Fender,,,I think I was the reason they laid out the extra money...they needed me more than they needed Mickey Mantle.

Often wondered if they told Mickey how to hold his bat and wear his pants. Image

Let this be a lesson to you...KNOW WHO YOUR TAILOR IS. and to my friend Bob Maickle...do you need a pair of pants for three?? you can fit yourself and John DeMaille VP and Jeff Di Maio in thse pants and play (three part harmony with (3) long scale 24'1/2 necks....
but NO PEDALS PLEASE.....they may cause you a problem. ImageKnee levers are acceptable.

To My Friend Winnie

Winnie Sounds Good Like Steel Guitar Should.

Later....these pants are available for "group
"outings" reserve early.... This offer expires when I do.So order Now...E bay rejected my outfit,,I didnt know how much reserve to place on this oufit. Image

I will address the Haircut code in my Fender
Book. That will be a "cut above the pants. Image
PS Gene Fields,,,be happy you worked in manufacturing.
------------------
Copyright(c) 2002 by
Jody Carver "All Rights
Reserved"

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 10 June 2002 at 09:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

CARVER! FIELDS! GET THIS HILLBILLY CONTRAPTION OUT OF MY OFFICE !!!!! WE'RE TRYING TO SELL PIANOS HERE !!! AND DON'T LET THE SWINGING DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT !!!

WINSTON! WHERE'S THAT CAN OPENER I SENT YOU FOR?

Memo: Fill out a requisition for the other half of this suit.

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

The second President caught with his "Pants" "Down" and a "CIGAR"

UNREAL....One picture is worth a THOUSAND
WORDS......,,,, Image Image Image Image Image Image Beans anyone.??..."Steelin the Beans"...

No "Saxaphones Allowed" can you find "Monica"
in this picture????. Cabinet Drop not allowed. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 20 April 2002 at 10:27 AM.]</p></FONT>