Stock Pickup on LDG

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Dickey

Stock Pickup on LDG

Post by Dan Dickey »

I was wondering if anybody knew what stock pickup was used on an early 80's LDG. And also any opinions on what pickup sounds best in these guitars. I can't seem to find out what pickup I have on mine. I have done a search but can't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Pete Ballard

Post by Pete Ballard »

I think they came stock with a single coil Sho~Bud pickup. I have an L-705 in my LDG, which I love. No hum, big sound, kind of grainy. I have the Sho~Bud pickups in my Pro II, which I also love. They have a totally different sound. I guess that's why I have 2 Sho~Buds.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

I've got a stock pickup from an early '80s Sho-Bud. It's for sale if anyone wants it. Works perfectly. Has new wire leads coming off of it. $35 plus shipping.

Brad Sarno
Dan Dickey

Post by Dan Dickey »

Thanks Pete. The pickup in mine is a single coil so it probably is the original sho-bud pickup. Is there much difference in the sound of the 705 and the sho-buds in your Pro II?
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

Check out Buy and Sell for a George L's E66 for Sho-Bud.
Thanks, God Bless,
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

Pete Ballard

Post by Pete Ballard »

Dan,

Yes, the 705 sounds much different than the Sho~Bud pickup. First of all, the 705 does not hum. It's a very quiet, mellow pickup. It also has more of a grainy, kind of condensed (less string separation) sort of sound (Jimmy Day). Which is great for certain applications. The Sho~Bud pickup is more lively (Lloyd Green) but, depending on the surrounding environment, it hums. I like them both, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with the Sho~Bud, hum and all.