Which strings to use?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bennie Hensley

Which strings to use?

Post by Bennie Hensley »

I have been buying strings for my PSG from Musicians Friend. I can usually get a dozen for about $4.00. Should I buy a better string and do certain strings give more sustain than others. Thanks Bennie
Keith DeLong

Post by Keith DeLong »

I have been using George L stainless steel strings and have had really good luck with them--the 3rd hasn't broken in over 6 months. I'm a rec room steel player so it's not like being out on gigs and playing all the time, but they seem to stand up well.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

I use Cobra Coils from Bobbe Seymour and I'm now trying Jag Wire from Herby Wallace.Both are Stainlees Steel.I Like both and they do not break that often. I play a Gig Tuesday nights and i practic every day for two to three hours.
Sam White
Al Burk

Post by Al Burk »

Bennie,
My favorite is George L's stainless. S.I.T. and Jagwire also make a good set of stainless. I recently switched over to nickel wound because I read on the forum that stainless tends to cut into the changer more than nickel wound. This seems to make sence being that stainless is harder than nickel.

Al B.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Bennie,
I intermix the GeorgeL stainless and the generic stainless wound and plain steel strings from Musician's Friend. Can't tell a bit of difference. The MF strings are fine in my book.

BTW, re: the 3rd string
It doesn't matter whether you use stainless or nickel or whatever -- the unwound strings are the same and are made by only 3 or 4 mfgrs of musical instrument wire in the world. The string companies buy the same wire and their competitive advantage comes from their winding process and materials. That said, there are those who feel that some brands sound better or last longer than others -- even in the unwound strings.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

Bennie, what brand of strings are you using from Musicians friend? I am using Ernie Ball nickel strings (not the stock set but with bulk singles with the gauges I use) and have had good success with them. I use the reinforced 11 and 18 on E9. I put on a set of SIT C6 recently and some of the wound strings were dead straight out of the package. I have used the George L's stainless in the past and they sounded great too. Haven't had a chance yet to try the Cobra's or Jagwires, but I hear good things about them. The stainless strings feel different than nickel, and if you bounce back and forth between the different types you may have to fine tune your guitar each time. Also some sets come with wound 6th string instead of a plain 6th, (Dean Markley) this will cause you to drastically adjust your tuners at the changer or even cause you to re-set something under your guitar. If you are happy with your gauges, stick to them and order singles of the same gauge from each company to experiment.
My favorite pedal strings are Franklin's. I don't know why, but thay just last and last and last. Also, something I have done when changing strings is to clean them with a Blitz Cloth, also available from Franklin, before putting the strings on the guitar. You would be surprised how dirty strings are right out of the package, and cleaning them with the Blitz Cloth makes them last even longer. Sure it takes a few extra minutes, but in most cases, it's worth it.
Thanks God Bless,
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Michael T
One of the secrets is the Blitz Cloth. Gets a lot more mileage out of any strings. I highly recommend them.

However, the reason that the cloth will turn black even with new strings is that it removes a thin layer of metal -- just a few molecules deep -- from the string. You can clean them then clean them again and they will still turn the cloth black. Doesn't mean the string was dirty.

They're also great for endplates and any other metal on your guitar.

Can be bought online for $2.95 here.

You won't regret the investment. Image
------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 22 December 2002 at 07:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I've been using George L Stainless for years and years, but recently tried a set of D'Addario XLS 490/500's (E9/C6) stainless strings and like them a lot. If y'all like a stainless string, this might be another way to go.

D'Addario is also going to be marketing a steel guitar bar with a newly patented electropolishing process (not plated like BJS). I've been using a prototype and it has a really nice feel and finish to it. The length of the bar is 3 5/8", about 3/8" longer than a standard 10-string bar. This might be a good feel for someone with longer fingers, or who just likes a slightly longer bar.

The bar is not yet on the market, but if anyone is interested, I can obtain them from the manufacturer. I think they'll be in the $50 range.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 22 December 2002 at 07:20 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bennie Hensley

Post by Bennie Hensley »

Thanks to everyone for your input. Wow what a bunch of great people. Bennie
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I have been using Frenchy's Silent Series nickel strings for over a year now and I am very pleased with the tone and durability. Jody.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I use John Pearse Strings exclusively. They are a very good quality and take only a minute or two to stretch out! Available through Breezy Ridge Instruments, LTD. Jpinfo@aol.com and http://www.jpstrings.com "Big John" Bechtel, Nashville, Tn.
John Borchard

Post by John Borchard »

I concur with Herb. I've used D'Addario's for quite a few years and love the way they sound. The wound strings are wound around a hexagonal core which seems to prevent the wrap from shifting, thus they stay nice and bright (but not harsh) for a long time.

Having said that, I am going to try some of the Jagwires available here on the Forum. Just to try something new and support b0b with some of that Christmas (and New Year's Eve!) money.

By the way, Herb. I sure have been enjoying those CDs of yours. Good work!

John Borchard<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Borchard on 31 December 2002 at 09:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jake L

Post by Jake L »

I have had my best luck with GHS pedal steel Boomers. I liked the sound I got from those better than any other set I tried.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

I just put on a set of Tommy White series Jagwire and so far am really pleased.I still don't sound like Tommy,maybe it ain't just the strings.
Got them from from b0b $10

Bill

------------------
Bill Ford<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Ford on 31 December 2002 at 07:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I have also used the Musician's Friend, "Rouge" Brand, single strings. They seem fine to me and last about the same as any others I've used. When I get complete sets of strings, I like the S.I.T. brand, I prefer nickle wound. The Rogue single strings are very reasonable in price.

------------------
<small>Bill Moore...
my steel guitar web page</font>

KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Bobbe Seymour's Cobra Coil's. Image
Charles Tilley

Post by Charles Tilley »

I am not a professional player but I am a constant Music Room player and I put a lot of miles on the strings. I play every day for about 3 hours.

I have been using bulk strings from Musician Friend for 4 to 5 years. It is my understanding that they are SIT in bulk. I cannot state that for a fact They come 12 to a package and hold up very well. I have replaced strings on other players guitars and they like them too. I use the nickle strings and not the stainless.

It costs very little to evaluate them. A dozen #11 strings cost about $3.00.

This is my opinion and not to be construed with someone who knows what he is talking about Image Image

Charles Tilley<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Charles Tilley on 06 January 2003 at 05:32 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Charles Tilley on 06 January 2003 at 05:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Harmon

Post by Mike Harmon »

Ed Fulawka puts GHS Boomers on his E9 steels. He included a note saying that the sound may change if different strings are used. Since I really like the sound "as-is", I'll probably continue to use them unless I have some reason to switch.

That's my neophyte two-cent contribution!

------------------
Mike Harmon
Fulawka S10 3 & 5
Nashville 400