Ever Heard of a Carson Wells Steel Guitar?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Henderson

Ever Heard of a Carson Wells Steel Guitar?

Post by Billy Henderson »

Appreciate any info about these steels. I assume Carson Wells was the name of the builder.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

The late Tommy Roots played one. He swore by it. That's all I know.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I took a pretty good look at at Carson's guitars- fancy aluminum endplates with scrolling on them, interesting bellcranks with cabinet hinge pins to keep the rods in place, larger than normal radius on the changer fingers- terrific tone!!! Tough to make a living in this industry~~
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yes Tommy Roots' pedal steel made by Carson was/is awesome.....great custom work all the way around.
Tommy Morrell had his Non-pedal Mesquite wood steel guitar made by CW.....just great work that man does....and the new one he is Making for Tommy Morrell will be another genious design.....wait till you see this one> and every guitar I've ever heard made by Carson....is a WONDERFUL sound.
Ricky
B Bailey Brown

Post by B Bailey Brown »

I have owned a C&W for the last five years and as Ricky said it IS an awesome guitar. It is the best sounding guitar I have ever had and remarkably easy to work on, although it has seldom needed anything done to it. It is very reliable and sturdy and stays in tune well, which for one of the newer lighter weight aluminum frame guitars is not always the case. Additionally, it is one of the lowest priced guitars you can get, but don’t read that as “cheap.” There is nothing “cheap” about it! Carson’s guitars are quality all the way, and I personally believe they are every bit as good, and better in some areas, as some of the “name-brand” instruments that will cost you a couple of grand more.

I haven’t talked to Carson in a few months, but at last report he was working on a re-design of the undercarriage that should make the guitar even more stable than it already was. I guess I should jingle his phone and see how that is progressing! Image

B. Bailey Brown
Jimmie Misenheimer

Post by Jimmie Misenheimer »

Billy, I,m sure that you couldn't deal with a nicer guy. I have never played one of his guitars, but have some of his parts on my M.C.I. His work is quality, and so is he...

Jimmie
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Ricky, I couldn't agree with you more. Carson is a super builder. I've owned two of his horns, the first a SD-10 I bought in a music store and I had Carson custom build me a D-10 afterwards. I think his workmanship is superb and the design is awesome.
Finally, the guitars have a heck of a good tone and they're not that heavy. BTW Carson is one heck of a player. You get the chance to hear him, take it. He's moved his shop from Sabinal to the Kerrville Texas area. I have his address and phone number if anyone wants them, email me.

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real
Edgar Pro Case

Post by Edgar Pro Case »

I played on one of these at the Dallas Show a couple years ago and WOW! I'd buy one before I bought another guitar of "ANY" other brand and I'm a nut for "That" Tone. WC Edgar Image
Dave Goodman

Post by Dave Goodman »

Have played a CW D10 for about 4 years. The sound is excellent (E66's both necks) and I rarely have to spend time adjusting or retuning during a job. Its a keeper.

------------------
dgoodman
C&W,Vegas 400
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Because I've sent out so many emails with Carson's numbers on them, I spent about an hour on the phone with him this am. First to get his permission to post his address and telephone no and secondly, to learn about a new (old concept according to him) of building an improved undercarriage on his steels. He just about has the prototype finished and it sounds great. His address is 341 Green Oak Drive, Kerrville, Texas, 78028 and his new tele no is 830-995-4346. He just requested, because he's retired, that anyone calling respect his sleeping time. Image

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real