I have a problem, and I'd like your input about the solution

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Hoke

Post by Jim Hoke »

Tell us about the gig, Mike, when you do it. Which pieces, etc. If you can position yourself so that the conductor is right in front of you and all you have to do w/ your eyes is look up a tad from the fretboard (not laterally), maybe you can do it that way. Like reading charts in the studio. The drag of steelers reading charts onstage is that the best place to see your chart is right in front, which totally blocks the audience from seeing what you're doing, which isn't much, visually, to begin with. I try to put the stand off to the left, near the tuners, where I don't have to shift my eyes too far back and forth. Otherwise it's about as fun as watching someone use a laptop.
b0b

Post by b0b »

How do cello players do it? Same problem, isn't it?

Frankly, I don't understand this "I have to watch my hands" thing. Watching your hands doesn't keep you on pitch. It just gives you a better sense of security about your pitch. If you develop your ear better, you don't have to watch your hands so much.

How do you read the music if you're watching your hands?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

b0b wrote:

How do you read the music if you're watching your hands?
I don't sight read. I figure out what I'm going to play and memorize it.

You know, everybody is different, and has different strengths and weaknesses. Some of you guys may not need to look at your hands while playing, but I do.

Look at the expression on my face in this blow up of my avatar. http://msapedalsteels.com/html/m__perlowin.html

I like Peter's handycam idea, but they are too expensive. I'm going to experiment with some mirrors.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Joe Gretz

Yup!

Post by Joe Gretz »

Jim Hoke wrote:Periferal vision, Mike. That's the only way I can imagine it done.
Respectfully, I believe this is the solution to the problem.

Eye contact with the conductor is essential but it does not have to be constant. When you need to focus on the stick, use your peripheral vision to monitor the steel and vice versa...and yes, it will take practice to develop this ability!

I am an experienced orchestral bassist. I routinely split my focus between the conductor's stick and other cues, sheet music, my bass and my section mates.

Best of luck with this, and Merry Christmas!!! :)

Joe
Dattebayo!!!
Allen Kentfield

conductor

Post by Allen Kentfield »

What Bob said. 8)