Open source Band-in-a-Box alternative for Ubuntu/Linux OS

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Kurt Schrotenboer

Open source Band-in-a-Box alternative for Ubuntu/Linux OS

Post by Kurt Schrotenboer »

Looking for advice on what open source Biab app works best and on what OS flavor. I use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Carvin JB200C
Ibanez Artist
Mackie 32/8
Boss BR1600
1971 Marshall Super Tremolo
ASCAP member
www.accordionkeyboardservice.com
Pete Nicholls

Post by Pete Nicholls »

You might take a look at Improvisor: Impro-Visor is free and runs on any platform that supports Java 1.6 or later, including:
Windows (7, Vista, XP, 2000, maybe others)
MacOSX (with Java 1.6 installed)
Linux

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/
Justice The Judge SD-10, 2007
Justice Pro Lite SD-10, 2011
Quilter Steelaire
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I don't know about Linux, but most security "experts" recommend uninstalling Java because of security holes.

I've uninstalled it on my Win 7 system and have not had any problems with any browsing or sites.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Kurt Schrotenboer

Create, play and print sheet music for free with MuseScore

Post by Kurt Schrotenboer »

I have found this app to be about the best alternative to BIAB. It gets a top user feedback rating compared to other open source BIAB alternatives. Musescore is an open source BIAB alternative that "will import BIAB files".

http://musescore.org/en

-----------------------------------------------------------
Many people are tired of having to upgrade their Windows machines and then find out that some software is incompatible. I've had it with Windows and have been using Ubuntu for over 3 years with no serious problems. Everything works. All my hardware is compatible. Printers, scanners, video cards, sound cards, camera, phone, usb flash drives, CD burner, DVD player ...all work just fine. If you are looking at Windows 7 or 8 and have some time you might want to try the live cd of Ubuntu which will let you try it without having to install it. If you like it then I suggest you install it on a second hard drive.
Carvin JB200C
Ibanez Artist
Mackie 32/8
Boss BR1600
1971 Marshall Super Tremolo
ASCAP member
www.accordionkeyboardservice.com