Which Player(S) Inspire You To Practice?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

john buffington

Post by john buffington »

Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day, Jr. Knight, Papa John, Tommy White, Mike Johnson! For my ears!
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I can honestly say everybody I hear inspires me, even if it's to think "I wouldn't have done it that way"... and then explore why not. There is SO much outstanding music out there to draw from, and a rich legacy of back catalog.

I noticed there have been a number of C6 specific replies- for C6 (or C6ish on E9!) I have two serious additional recommendations- early trombone (re: Jack Teagarden) and Charlie Christian. Just work out some of their lines and you'll see what I mean!
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

I have to say everybody, but Lloyd Green, David Hartley, Paul Franklin, Bruce Bouton, Jerry Garcia, Speedy West, Buddy Charleton, Don Helms, Cindy Cashdollar, Bobby Koefer, Steve Cunningham, Buck Reid, Buzz Evans, Tommy White, Ralph Mooney, Jim Cohen, John Hughey, Reese Anderson, Jimmy Day, Buddy Emmons - these are the players I have "found" always finding more!

If I learn one lick from each, I'll be a monster :)
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Riley Hart

Post by Riley Hart »

Sometimes it is difficult to find inspiration to practice, so I usually just end up playing scales(under such circumstance). A recording I made recently of Chuck Lettes at a small steel gathering has been providing some great influence when I encounter those times when I am not totally inspired to practice. Helps me remember there is more soul in one note than in a flurry of 16th notes, and centers my thoughts around how a good singer would approach it.

Also, Chet Baker's phrasing on trumpet has captured my attention here last day or so...
Sven Kontio

Post by Sven Kontio »

I listen a lot to Mike Johnson, Buddy Emmons, Hal Rugg, Buck Reid, Paul Franklin, Lloyd Green and many others. What can you say about those guys? I mean, they all are at a level to dream about. But the one player who's inspiring me to practice...? Well, I must say it's Mr. Mickey Adams!! I don't know, but I love listening to the 'supermen', but Mickey makes it happen!!
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

...and Dicky Overbey.
Steve Pawlak

Post by Steve Pawlak »

Buddy Cage...
And Fred Justice
Ron Deardorff

Post by Ron Deardorff »

I'm gonna say... Junior Knight, Rick Price, Steve Hinson and Tommy Detamore (and Buddy and Lloyd). THAT'S what I want to sound like when I grow up. Deep, deep into the twang.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

Mike Johnson, Ron Kirby and Dave Hartley
Oh my, I for got Zane King
Last edited by Carl Kilmer on 24 Dec 2012 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

All the Steel players named in this thread. Also My Idle's was two guys David Hartley and my good Friend that has gone now Ray Walker. He thought David Hartley was one of the best out there.I also have to say Mikey Adams as I go on steeling on the web and he has helped me out a lot.Mikey don't send me a bill as I have no money to spare.Social Security does not pay much.
Sam White
Last edited by Sam White on 23 Dec 2012 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Since I don't really aspire to play like, or pattern myself after other steel players, I get most of my inspiration from other instruments, and also from really good songs. My imagination is far better than my ability to copy what someone else does. I guess this is why I tend to do songs that other steelers don't generally play.
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

The person who got me "hooked" on the steel guitar was my old friend and fellow forum member Nick Reed. I've listened to him play steel since I was a teenager. He was a big influence on me wanting to learn to play.I love listening to David Hartley and Zane King. But I hear them then I hear me and its frustrating!!! They make it look like so easy!!
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

Reese Anderson...Gary Hogue :D :) :o 8) :P
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Junior...when did Gary pass away ? And didn't his Dad pass about the same time ? Excuse my lack of recall but it's just the years getting onto me...
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

Gary Hogue and Junior Knight are my inspirations to practice. :) :D :) :D

Paul, Gary passed away on Mother's Day 2000 and, yes, his father, Grady, passed on the same day.
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
JamesMCross

Post by JamesMCross »

Tommy Detamore, Dickey Overby, Jody Cameron, and Bobby Bowman - listening to these guys will always get me to sit down at my guitar and try to find at least some of what they are doing.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

What a great array of responses!!!.
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

I agree with all the foregoing but would like to add the name of Jerry Byrd. For a guy with no pedals and no more than eight strings he sure came up with a unique touch and an unmatched approach. He can immediately be identified. No one has quite matched the nitch he carved.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Early influence...Buddy Emmons, no one could make two notes sound better...Tom Brumley, Lloyd Green, John Hughey, Paul Franklin...More recently Mickey for his willingness to share his knowledge and teaching gift...where were ye when I was a lad???... :D :D :D
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Emmons, Day, Green, Hughey, Franklin, White, and really really Chalker.

The other side of this, and probably a different thread, is which payers are so good that they make you want to quit..... I go through that with all of the above.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Mike back in the early 90s I felt the same way and gave up trying to play the Steel Guitar. Then in 1997 I decided to give it another try and I have been sticking with it ever since. I can play but I'm no as good as I would like to be. I have been going on Steeling on the Web and watching and following Mickey Adams and I'm coming along a lot better. I finally also got to follow Tab Work and tracks.I have been back playing at least a hour or so a day now and it is coming along good.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Sam,

I have been playing for over 35 years, most of that professionally. There is no danger of me stopping now.

I have enough chops to play anything that I need to play.... But I have to work hard at it.

I have played with people like G.E. Smith or Garth Hudson, etc. who can just hear and play anything like it is magic, and then take it up a notch from there.... that's what I mean by the guys who make you want to quit.... cause it will never be effortless for me.
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

Lots of the heavyweights listed in this thread, and also, my favorite steeler, Bobby Black, especially his Hawaiian and Big Band standards. Whenever I hear him, it encourages me to try and emulate the taste with which he plays.

I said try.
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Oh Mickey! What a great question! I have had inspiration from players for sure. Usually, when I hear the very best from the greatest of players I just want to quit. :)

Candidly, I have barely studied any player except when I was just a young kid. Even then my mentor Zane Beck challenged me to listen to Pat Martino, Oscar Peterson, John Coltrane and many other giants from various fields of music. Mostly jazz.

If I had to mention names though, I would land on Lloyd Green and John Hughey for most of my inspiration. That said though just about every steel player inspires me in one way or another. I find something in just about everyone's playing that I eventually steal and use it. Ain't that why they call this "steeling"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zane King
Email: zaneking@me.com
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Reece Anderson, Zane King.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.