Restored MSA Classic D10 - Split Cases - Lowered Price Again

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Darvin Willhoite

Restored MSA Classic D10 - Split Cases - Lowered Price Again

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

One more steel guitar I need to get rid of in my downsizing program. This is a '74 MSA Classic D10 that has been fully restored. It is set up with 8 & 8, and has a few little customizations. All of the knee levers have thumbscrews for adjusting the angle, and it has adjustable changer springs. (Some of the pictures were taken before I converted it to adjustable springs) I added adjustable stops to the knee lever shafts, the stop, as well as the backlash is adjustable. These can be seen next to the center support rail. All of the aluminum polished nicely and the only ding I know of is a small one on the top edge of the LH end plate which I put there when i was setting up the guitar. It is small and you have to look closely to see it, but it is there.

The guitar has the original single coil pickups on it and has a fairly bright sound. This is the Classic I used on my steel tone demo a couple of years ago, it's the guitar I used on the last chorus. Here is the link if you want to hear it. (Of course it's recorded through my setup and I like a good bit of reverb on slow songs, so you may or may not like it.)

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... light=tone

Here's the post where I revealed which guitars I used on which part of the song.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

It is currently 1 1/2" over standard height, but I can lower it if necessary. It also comes with a custom made cover and leg bag.

I built a set of split, flight type cases for it that snap together for rolling, and come apart easily for carrying. The material alone for the cases cost me around $600 and took a lot of hours to build.

The price was $2300 for the guitar and the cases, now $2100 or I would sell the guitar without the cases for $1700 (was $1900). Due to the weight, I would rather not ship the guitar, but I can if it's not feasible to meet within a hundred miles of Austin, Texas, or I could deliver it to the Dallas area, I go there quite often to see my grandkids.

I have more pictures I can email if necessary.

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 13 Feb 2013 11:15 am, edited 7 times in total.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Mikey Phillips

Msa D-10

Post by Mikey Phillips »

Very nice guitar! A very interesting article on demo tone. What you said about the tone is what I have been saying for years. I have a '76 wood, '74 Mica that are here to stay. You can't beat the old MSA's for durability and tone IMO. You just have to dial it in to find what you like. Good luck on selling your steel.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

OMG Darvin, thats too bad you have to let that piece or art go! Well it must be for a good reason considering the heart and soul you put into it. Shes a beauty for sure!
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

That is identical to the one I bought off this site this past summer! Now if I could play as well as you I'd be the happiest guy in the world! From what little I know about this instrument, these MSA Classics are still awesome guitars even by today's standards. Good luck with the sale!
Been at this damn thing for a few years now. Not so sure that I'm getting anywhere but it is fun. Sometimes.
Darvin Willhoite

Bump - still available
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Darvin Willhoite

Bump
Darvin Willhoite
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Bump..
F.Y.I.
You won't find a better 74 in the world, this guitar will last forever..... :D :whoa:
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

I second that one David! I missed my msa classic U-12 so much that I bought a black Classic D-10. Good solid axes and tone comparable to anything out there today.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

up^^^^
Darvin Willhoite

Thanks for the bumps David, this a great guitar that needs to be played. I lowered the price a little for Christmas.
Darvin Willhoite
Peter Martell

Post by Peter Martell »

Hi

I had an MSA just like this white and everything. I had only 4 knees.

I will make an offer much lower thenyou are asking. All in goodfaith.

$ 1,750 foe the lot, please donot laugh

Peter L.Martell
Thanks
Darvin Willhoite

Sorry Peter, I did have to laugh a little. I would consider your offer for the guitar only without the cases, but not with the cases. These cases would probably cost you $1000 to have a case company build them. Thanks anyway.
Darvin Willhoite
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

UP+ :lol:
Lee Dassow

restored MSA classic D-10-split cases

Post by Lee Dassow »

You wont find a better 74 than that david said, Boy he's right about that, . Compared to the one I just got, which is a 1974 D-10 classic, that looks brand new. Great restoration darvin. LEE
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Ron Kirby

Post by Ron Kirby »

Darvin, Do you have the original case that comes with it at $1800.00?
Darvin Willhoite

No Ron, I don't have the original case, I don't remember what I did with the case, I think it was trashed and I threw it away.
Darvin Willhoite
Ron Kirby

Post by Ron Kirby »

Ok.. Those Classic's are great guitars..
Darvin Willhoite

It was just pointed out that the links in the first post were the same. DUH Oldtimers disease setting in. It is fixed now. Sorry guys.
Darvin Willhoite
Darvin Willhoite

This one is exceptionally nice Ron, it's virtually like new.
Darvin Willhoite
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

UP for Xmas!!!
Darvin Willhoite

Bump for the new year.
Darvin Willhoite
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Darvin:

Nice guitar and I hope it finds a good home and is appreciated. You have some of the sweetest instruments and gear and the picture I viewed of you last year with your herd of stuff was very impressive.

Regards,

Lenny
Darvin Willhoite

Bump for the weekend.
Darvin Willhoite
Lee Dassow

restored MSA classic D-10-split cases

Post by Lee Dassow »

DARVIN,
Still for sale? Whats the copedant.
LEE
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Darvin Willhoite

Yes Lee, it's still for sale. It has Day floor pedals on the E9th, with the Franklin pedal on #4. My knee levers are arranged a bit odd. The C6th is pretty standard with a D on top. I have a PDF chart I can email you if you would like to see the whole arrangement.
Darvin Willhoite