Where are you from?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Talon Ross

Post by Talon Ross »

Walter Glockler wrote:New Mexico - and some believe this is a foreign country.
Then you must be familiar with people asking, "I'm surprised how well you can speak English, and can I see what your green card looks like?"
Michael Weaver

Post by Michael Weaver »

Lancaster County, PA Amish & PA Dutch country!!!!
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

Ramsey,Il.
Ruth Iseli-Dahler

Post by Ruth Iseli-Dahler »

That was a nice topic to read, enjoyed all the pictures. I think I am the first one posting here from Switzerland. I know a handful of other swiss pedal steel players. I know about 8 personally and I know there are more, maybe 20?

Without the contacts on the Forum and on youTube I would be lost.
Thanks to you I got teaching and friends and even the chance to see the Steel Jamboree in Dallas. See y'all there next march :D
Mullen Pre-RP D10, Emmons D10, Mullen G2 SD10, Dobros
Bill L. Wilson

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Born close to Caneyville Kentucky, raised in Dallas Texas, and after marrying an Oklahoma girl, I now live in the woods, not far from Guthrie Oklahoma. Shake a bush out here, and 15 or 20 guitar or steel pickers will run out from under it. Thanks to the forum for educating me on steel guitar around the world. I guess I've lived in the backwoods so long, that I never thought of steel guitar as a world instrument. To all you players out there, world wide, LOVE and PEACE!!!!
Roy Heap

Post by Roy Heap »

I am another boy from the smoke "London" Chiswick in fact and now living in South Gloucester, west country. Although we seemed to have lost a lot of good steel players to your side of the pond, we can still boast of many good ones still living in the UK.
David Nutt

Post by David Nutt »

Another UK Birmingham boy- Aston to be exact, now live in sunny South Wales arrived here via Biggar (Scotland) then Canterbury (Kent)
Ruth Iseli-Dahler

Post by Ruth Iseli-Dahler »

from Mandal, Georg? I spent 8 days there in July and I tried to come in contact with musicians but did not find any.

en annen gang, kanskje..... ha det. Ruth
Mullen Pre-RP D10, Emmons D10, Mullen G2 SD10, Dobros
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

David Nutt wrote:Another UK Birmingham boy- Aston to be exact,...
All my ancestors, going back several generations, were from Aston. My great-grandfather had a builders' yard at Aston Cross. My parents on both sides came from Aston, and, as a child, I did most of my shopping in Aston, which was where our family doctor, Dr. Leslie, held his practice.
pdl20

where you from

Post by pdl20 »

Zanesville,Ohio and been in Central Ark 36 yrs :D
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Harry Johansen

Post by Harry Johansen »

Northern Norway,and somtimes in the Phils.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Birmingham AL, Atlanta, Tamps FL is home really...Live in TEJAS!
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
David Nutt

Post by David Nutt »

Alan Brookes wrote:
David Nutt wrote:Another UK Birmingham boy- Aston to be exact,...
All my ancestors, going back several generations, were from Aston. My great-grandfather had a builders' yard at Aston Cross. My parents on both sides came from Aston, and, as a child, I did most of my shopping in Aston, which was where our family doctor, Dr. Leslie, held his practice.
Spent my whole childhood in Aston (born 1943)
great place,lots of fond memories, but Alan you would be dissapointed if you went back now,hardly recognisable. I did three years ago, never again will remember it as it was.
Dave.
Alexander Stepanenko

Post by Alexander Stepanenko »

Moscow. Russia.
This is an old photo. Now many houses are built and I even managed to play in a nightclub on the 70th floor. :)
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Born in Alexandria , Virginia,,, but left when I was 6 weeks old. Dad worked for the NACA, Now NASA. Maybe that's why I eat grits every morning? Now live outside Cleveland.
"Burn on,,, Big River,,, Burn on." Actually it's quite clean now.

Ray Thomas

Where Are You From

Post by Ray Thomas »

Good old North Carolina, home of Earl Scruggs and Andy Griffin
Ray Thomas
Livesteel Strings Dealer
Call 919-920-5482
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email
James Taylor

Scottish to the CORE

Post by James Taylor »

Hi folks, I live in the north east of Scotland . Part of the forgotten country. It was the breeding ground for jacobitism in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries where local laird , LORD FORBES OF PITSLIGO , led a substantial force in aid of BONNIE PRINCE CHARLIE in 1745.I wrote a song about his life. Then it became the fire power behind Scottish Nationalism for attention to local neglect. Today everything is more peaceful. However , a local lad deserves attention GENERAL HUGH MERCER who fought for AMERICAN Independance and was killed at the battle of Princeton - his decendant was GEORGE PATTON of ww 2 fame ; yes old blood and guts. Perhaps ROSEHEARTY is a small insignificant little town but it has GUTS and we are all proud of our USA connections: let us build on them ; More PEDAL STEEL GUITAR MUSIC FROM YOU GREATS and teach US . YOURS AYE JAMES TAYLOR :) :) :) FOREVER GRATEFUL :) :) :)
Last edited by James Taylor on 7 Dec 2012 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
James Taylor

Scottish to the CORE

Post by James Taylor »

Hi folks, I live in the north east of Scotland . Part of the forgotten country. It was the breeding ground for jacobitism in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries where local laird , LORD FORBES OF PITSLIGO , led a substantial force in aid of BONNIE PRINCE CHARLIE in 1745.I wrote a song about his life. Then it became the fire power behind Scottish Nationalism for attention to local neglect. Today everything is more peaceful. However , a local lad deserves attention GENERAL HUGH MERCER who fought for AMERICAN Independance and was killed at the battle of Princeton - his decendant was GEORGE PATTON of ww 2 fame ; yes old blood and guts. Perhaps ROSEHEARTY is a small insignificant little town but it has GUTS and we are all proud of our USA connections: let us build on them ; More PEDAL STEEL GUITAR MUSIC FROM YOU GREATS and teach US . YOURS AYE JAMES TAYLOR :) :) :)[/img]
Last edited by James Taylor on 1 Dec 2012 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lee Warren

Post by Lee Warren »

Born in Borehamwood, North London, England ...

moved to Auckland, New Zealand ...

then moved to Toronto, Ontario, Canada ...

now living in Nashville, Tennessee

Ferdinando Ghidelli

Post by Ferdinando Ghidelli »

from Caserta (Italy)