Here's one for you older musicians,

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Les
I know you have received more advice than you need , if you will allow me to tell a little story about a similar gig we had , - I believe it was a 50th - One of the planners for the party had hired a couple strippers to entertain on our brake -- it turned out a disaster for the couple -- the bride of 50 years was totally traumatized - & the Groom of 50 years had to god a time, but it embarrassed almost every one else including the gal that hired them -- she said “ I didn’t realize how gross this would be" .
Bottom line -- stick to the things and music they knew as youngsters -- don’t sell out to the rockers --
JMO Les , I’m sure the couple will have a grate time .
Jim Craig

Post by Jim Craig »

sit right down and write myself a letter
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Now is the hour--Bouquet of roses, Careless hands,
Sweet Dreams, My Happiness, Blue eyes crying in the rain. Blueberry Hill, I Can't stop loving you.
Am I losing you.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Thanks a ton Willis. I was about to ask the forum members who could remember the closing tune in the old days of barn dancing. It was "Now Is The Hour"

After last night's practice session the lead guitarist (the band leader) stepped aside because he couldn't hack the moan and groan tunes that were being played. Not a problem however, the drummer has moved from his drums to his wife's keyboard and the sit-in sax player will be playing at the gig. The young bass player (26 years old) loves the music. There is still hope for these young musicians! :D :D
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Jim Craig wrote:sit right down and write myself a letter
...a lot of kisses on the bottom. I always like kisses on the bottom. :whoa: :lol:
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I'll be glad I got 'em…. :lol:
Bill Howard

Are we allowed to play??

Post by Bill Howard »

Better check and see if anyone over 30 years old is still allowed to play,I posted a blog about age discrimination and was told no one wants to hear old musicians...
BUT some good songs Beer Barrel Polka is good Misty is another one I used to do Dream lover,Teenager in Love,Travelin Man, Older crowds LOVE 50's!! they go over big, We Done Last Kiss at a reunion a few yrs ago and this Kid came up and said Didn't know you done Pearl Jam songs....uhhh I didn't either:)... Johnny B Goode is liked by everyone. There are lots of 60's songs easy to do...Buddy Holly, Well got to go time for my diaper change....(not really:)
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

When I was actively playing in a band until last year, our biggest reaction from the crowds came when we did our Dedication To Hank Williams Sr. segments. We found that even many young people know the words to many of Hank's songs.