Emmons Gui_ar Co. What's Up?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wade Medlock

Post by Wade Medlock »

My son-in-law, Matthew Spencer, a professional photographer, sent me this shot of the Emmons headquarters @ Burlington, NC. What's going on at Emmons? Below is Matthew's commentary.
Wade

The other day I went following the late afternoon light to shoot in Burlington and stumbled across the Emmons Guitar building which is on Webb Ave.

As you can see from the vertical, the building is for sale. I peeked in the front doors and saw a light on, an Emmons/ Lashley advert on the wall, a black duffel bag sitting on the sofa near the entrance, and a display case with an array of tiny US and Confederate flags sitting atop.

Beyond that it looked like an unkempt warehouse to me and no signs of guitars or parts. The side driveway sits adjacent to an auto repair shop and there were some junkers sitting in the Emmons parking lot. Kind of depressing and more so, completely intriguing. I want to go back and explore more - even get inside if I can to shoot more. I wanted to know if you knew more of the current state of Emmons Guitar Co?
jay thompson

Post by jay thompson »

Just now got off the phone from placing and order with the Emmons folks.
Always friendly and responsive.
Regards, Jay Thompson
Wade Medlock

Post by Wade Medlock »

Is the company still on East Webb?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

According to the website, it is.
But eyewitnesses say that building looks unused
EDIT: Send got hit in mid-type.
Those who were paying attention saw that they were doing the guitars and support elsewhere (Lashley Jr's place?). I read that here months ago.
Last edited by Lane Gray on 19 Nov 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Emmons Guitars

Post by Emmons Guitars »

Dear Forum,

Yes our building is up for sale. We are looking into minimizing our overhead and relocating the company. Our building is not unused the lot next door with the used cars does not belong to us. The stuff you saw peeping through the doors is CSV related. Our boys and myself are re-enactors for the Son of Confederate Soldiers.

Our daughter Savannah age 10 has been battling cancer since last January. We have just found out that her cancer has returned and our focus has been on her financially.

The company is well and moving forward. Thanks to all who have supported us through the years, you are the reason why we are turning 49 years old!!!! Thanks again, and please keep our daughter in your prayers!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Ron and Rebecca Lashley
Emmons Guitar Co. by Lashley, Inc.
Phone 336 227-2782
Wade Medlock

Post by Wade Medlock »

Thank you for the update, Ron and Rebecca. I'm sure everyone on the forum will keep your family in their prayers. I know I will.
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

that is a fairly large building (photos are deceiving - its 2 floors with the machine shop/assembly in the basement, sales/showroom on ground floor) that was perfect back in the steel hayday, but i'm sure now it is not financially prudent to keep it up overhead wise and i can see why they dont need it any longer.
that area of town, like many, has seen its apex pass.

of course, its always sad to see historical places vanish, but thats how it goes - remember - they were actually thinking of tearing down the old Ryman for a parking deck in the 70's after Opryland was built.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Dear Ron, Rebecca and Bobbie, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I was talking with Bobbie recently but this didn't come up. We believe in prayer and will pray for her. I love you all. Charlie Curtis
Lyle Bradford

Post by Lyle Bradford »

Ron, Rebecca prayers for you here in WV Keep us updated if possible. Thanks for always taking care of my needs any time I have called.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

That picture was hard on the heart for sure. Glad to see them post here with the status of the company. Glad to hear it. We lost Sho~Bud, hopefully we won't lose Emmons.

I will send prayers for Savannah and the rest of the Lashley family.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Prayers and best wishes for your daughter Ron & Rebecca..
Hook
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Sigh. Started my pedal steel journey right there at those doors, back in 1995.

Positive thoughts and prayers headed to your daughter.
Dearl Roughton

Post by Dearl Roughton »

My prayers are with you Ron and Rebecca for your daughter.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I've always had good experiences dealing with Rebecca and all the guys at the Emmons factory. I certainly wish them the best during this difficult time.
Jim Means

Ron and Rebecca

Post by Jim Means »

Be assured that prayers will be going up from Missouri for little Savannah. Nothing touches the heart of God like a child.

Jim and Helen Means
Musicians have to play.....They really have no choice
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I have always had great dealings with the Emmons Company and was always treated very nice. The family will be in my prayers. Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Bill L. Wilson

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

My wife and I, both being cancer survivors, can testify to God's miraculous healing power. I will pray for your daughter. Keeping a positive attitude even in the face of insurmountable odds, goes a long way in the healing process. DON'T give up, DON'T give in, and DON'T give out.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i hope buddy sees the photo op potential in this. being a photographer himself, i can see a pic of him in front of the degraded building and the for sale sign.

being a cancer survivor myself (so far) i hope for the best for the daughter.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

A note to say that I've had nothing but positive experiences from my very earliest dealings with the Emmons Company.

Immediately prior to my emigration to the USA in 1998 I ordered a new guitar from Jim and Joanne Aycoth - this was when the company was under their control - and I was treated wonderfully by them both. I paid a visit to Burlington in Summer, '98 and Jim took me to Cracker Barrel for lunch! I also met Ron Jr and Jack Strayhorn at this time.

Later I had occasion to contact Ron and Rebecca for some work on my second new Emmons and they, too, looked after me very well. I'm very saddened to hear of their family's health problems.

It does make me sad to see that venerable old building in decline; I know it's just a machine shop but the image from the LP sleeve of the Black Album is seared on my memory and I'll never forget actually seeing the place for myself. I've whiled away many an hour hanging around and asking dumb questions as my needs were taken care of by either Jim, Joanne, Ron or Jack.

I hope Emmons will be with us in some shape or form for many years to come.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I too have had nothing but positive dealings with Emmons Guitar Co and Ron and family. Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery and best to you and your family and Emmons Guitar Co.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I have just said a prayer for your daughter. Folks, let's keep Emmons Guitar Co. and their family in our thoughts and prayers this season. Some times we are too quick to judge. I know I was. These are trying times.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Thanks for all the great Emmons guitars and service. Most importantly, my thoughts are with your daughter.
Bill Bailey

Emmons

Post by Bill Bailey »

Dear Ron and Rebecca, our thoughts and prayers will be for your daughter and your family.
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
Bruce W Heffner

Emmons Guitar

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

Thanks for the great guitars during my tenure as a dealer. Keep fighting and you will be around for a long time. Prayers for your daughter.

Sincerely,

Bruce W

Payson, AZ
Bruce W Heffner AKA Wally

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ
Bob Poole

Emmons

Post by Bob Poole »

Just read the post from last year that had picture of the shop on Webb.Ave with for sale sign.Prayers for your daughter...I grew up 30 minutes away from y'all's front door.My journey in the steel guitar world started there.used to stop in when I was a kid.now 40 years later i'm getting my first Emmons,a black LeGrande SD10 & couldn't be any more excited.Thank you folks.