The future of pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

Mike P.,
have you got any suggestions on how to get accepted by the blues/rock guys? Did you introduce yourself as a 6-stringer and then say something like, "by the way, I´ve got that other instrument that I´d like to try..." or something different?
The reason I´m asking, the country scene over here is very, very disappointing, at least for me. There´s nothing but the so-called "new country" covers that I just don´t care for or the same bunch of standard tunes that you´ve heard a million times, and that pi$$es me off. When I started on steel, I dreamed about playing country rock like NRPS or old Bakersfield stuff, but that turned into an illusion pretty fast. Most "country" musicians around here never even heard it or aren´t interested in it, and there just doesn´t seem to be any demand for that around here. There are plenty of blues/rock etc. bands however and after all that´s where I originally came from and it´s still a kind of music that I like. But I don´t feel like going back to 6-string at all because I love the steel so much and I can identify with it so much more than with regular guitar... so one possible way out of the dilemma just might be to attempt to take the steel into a different direction... what do you think?

Regards, Joe H.
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

My story sound like many of yours. The sound drew me in - country, hawaiian, blues, rock, pedal or non. I think steel will live on and continue to grow. I also have a STRONG feeling that the visibility of this instrument will increase - how I don't know. To everything there is a season.......

I used to think that making the market huge would be great. But lately I've come to cherish the fact that it is unique, hard to find, focused. There are "1562 guitar pickers in Nashville - and every one will play twice as better that I will." or however the song goes. Geez - it's nice to go to a jam and pull out the lap steel or pedal and not be one of the other guitar players!

I play steel in a country band but like many areas of this country (US), it's getting harder to book gigs for the old style. Especially in this university town! We play older non-top-40 because we like it - but we don't get to play that often! So because I love non-pedal as well ( and to get more gigs) I suggested we do Hawaiian. So last summer we created an old style Hawaiian band (steel, uke, gui, bass). Having the drummer get a DUI and not be able to drive to gigs anymore helped too Image, so we fired him and got a uke player.

I've never had an easier time booking a band. The sound is unique, and it fits into lots of events (esp. in summer). Something else I've found is that the songs are so obscure on the mainland due to distance and time - NOBODY's really heard this stuff. The catalog of music is wide open. It's fresh. No more classic rock or country songs I've heard 1000 times! People always ask about the steel!. I get to play steel, and get to learn and polish the basics. It's making me a better pedal player. And it's fun. So Colorado Hawaiian music is alive and well. I forecast an increaseing trend in nonpedal steels showing up in many types of bands in the next 5 years. As a result - the pedal will see growth as well!

Unless someone is a musical bigot, or overly concerned about 'being cool' - most real players appreciate the contributions of all music styles, and all other instruments.
So like many have said - play what you want, follow your heart, see where it leads. I think there's enough passion for this instrument in the world to keep it going.

Cheers, Chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon" www.seldomfed.com www.book-em-danno.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by seldomfed on 25 November 2002 at 11:55 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by seldomfed on 25 November 2002 at 11:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Joe H: I was pulled into this band by a member I had worked with before in a country band, who knew what I can do. The other guys were skeptical till they heard me play. Once they did, it was no problem.

Here's what I think you should do. I assume there are blues clubs in your city that have weekly jam sessions. Go there a few times as a guitarist and establish yourself as a good player, and casualy mention that you play steel. Sooner or later the time will be right for you to bring the steel and blow everybody away.

The reason I can play blues on the steel is that I played blues guitar, including slide, for about 20 years prior to taking up the steel. At first I played my slide guitar licks on a lap steel, and then adapted them to the pedal steel and added pedal work to the style.

I suggest that anybody interested in playing this style listen to such blues slide guitarists as Fred McDowell, Robert Johnson and Blind Willie Johnson. You should also check out Duane Allman's work on "Statesboro blues" from the Live at the Fillmore East LP/CD

------------------
Some of the confusion over our instrument is due to the fact that the name has three words. I propose we simplify it down to one word. I suggest TIFKATPSG (The Instrument Formerly Known As The Pedal Steel Guitar.)

Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

A big part of this discussion that seldom comes up is that the pedal steel is a very difficult instrument to play, let alone master. There are indeed a few souls who could play right out of the box, but for many of us, it has taken great dedication and practice to play in tune, on time and with something better to offer than just pedal mashing.

I recently got back into the game after selling my Emmons D-10 to get the $$$ for my house down payment. I'm rusty as heck, but it's slowly coming back. I love my just-purchased '67? Sho-Bud Professional, it's perfect for me...

In the meantime, I've spent nearly three years dedicated to another "fringe" :- ) instrument -- the 10-button Cajun accordion.

These things are the anti-steel -- LLL -- 10 buttons on one side, two on the other and diatonic tuned like a harmonica. Stone simple to get started on, but the masters of Cajun accordion can really play!

I love the pedal steel, it's a great mental and physical workout and it has really helped my music theory. But I think it will always be an instrument that only calls a special kind of player who has the dedication few others possess... YMMV :- )
Steel tryin

Post by Steel tryin »

Pretty soon we'll have the entire population
that has never heard the Standards of Steel Guitar. We can just start over with
Storms Never Last and never look back!!!
John Borchard

Post by John Borchard »

I think that there is always a market for good music of any stripe. It might not be enough of a market to make you millions of dollars; it might not even be enough of a market to free you from the reality of a day job. But if you really work at something you love, I believe, it shows and is appreciated by people who understand that ethic. This probably excludes Christine Aguilera/Brittany Spears fans, but so what?

I really think that the best thing we can do for the instrument we love is to work hard at it and expose others to the pleasure we take in playing it. I know of two fellows I turned on to pedal steel in their 20s and they're still playing - one in his 50s (part-time) the other in his 30s (full-time). If each forumite could do just that, we'd have plenty of players to carry the torch. That's my 2 cents worth.

John Borchard<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Borchard on 26 November 2002 at 02:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Listen to Shania's new cd!
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

????????

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

It seems to me that the steel guitar is not in a death spiral at all, but is being left in some very capable hands of the players that are out there making new sounds and new kinds of music (not me). Robert Randolph ? Yeah, now there's a future for steel. It ain't that Mooney thing, but it's good.

Like Theresa says, listen to the new Shania CD. You may not like it, but it has plenty of steel. Hell, there's steel on most country records you hear and also on quite a few other types of music. It ain't dead or dying by any stretch of the imagination.

There will be plenty of players who can make that Mooney or Emmons or Lloyd sound when the occasion demands it in twenty years, and they will be able to play some cool licks like that Franklin guy used to play too. They will have a wealth of information to draw from in the form of recordings, instruction courses, tab, etc., thanks to the great work that is happening today. They will probably still be able to dig up this old steel forum on whatever thing replaces the internet.

As for the instrument, we have the best instruments ever made being produced right now. People probably worried what would happen when they couldn't get a Bigsby or Rickenbacker anymore. Look what we have now!! Zum,Emmons, Mullen, Franklin, Sierra, the new MSA, the list just goes on. These guitars will last longer than I will, and there will always be someone who can fix them if anything goes wrong. As the cliche goes, "it ain't rocket science". No doubt there will be new builders in the future, just like there always has been. And like now, they will probably just keep getting better.

No steel guitar isn't going to die. It's just going to bloom in a different color. Hell, it might even be more pretty!

------------------

Doug Earnest
The only Zum Keyless U12, Fender Cyber Twin

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

Jerry Garcia played steel on cuts by Crosby, Stills and Nash,
Rusty Young played steel with Poco,
Don Felder played some steel with the Eagles,
of course Paul Franklin played some outstanding steel with Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits,
Even Sheryl Crow has steel on some cuts.
Not to mention all the slide guitar, dobro and resonator guitar sounds in pop and rock music, but I know that this post is about pedals. David Lindley's cuts with Jackson Browne come to mind.
As far as the age of builders and players, I just turned 36 today, and Ron Lashley Jr., a great builder of pedal steel guitars, isn't too far from me in age, I do believe, perhaps younger. We will keep the ball rolling. If nobody else wants to fill the shoes, I'd sure like to try them on.
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

Jerry Brightman

Post by Jerry Brightman »

Leslie,

I like your comments...along with some of the others..If we celebrate the history of this instrument as the present, then there might not be any future. I hold ALL of the historic and icon players with reverned ground and with much respect. My new CD is all about the music. I don't beleive it will drive anyone thats a steel player to thier instrument to try and figure out what I've done and that wasn't the point of it. However, I'm finding that it is driving people who didn't know or weren't familiar with the instrument, to take a second look. Many things are in store in the not too distant future, and although it may not be in the more traditional sense or present preconveived idea of the steel, it will contain a lot of exposure and interest..but then, what the heck do I know, I'm just a musician Image

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

Hi Leslie, I to am a rock guitarist or use to
be still play a little R&B there are rock
bands out there that use steels Joe wright
has played a few Paul Franklin has been with
some, Brent Mason is another, or Freddie Roulette will perform blues with willie kent
and the Gents, some times it requires us to listen to these guys to help us be motivated to get out there and develope our styles that will get the steel noticed, but I do agree with the others on this forum it`s the
challenge. blacksteveb@aol.com
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Steel Guitar is not going to die out. When more and more people, including other Musicians and Record producers, realize that it is more versatile than just "mashing " A and B pedals, it will come back strong again.....al Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 28 November 2002 at 08:02 PM.]</p></FONT>