The future of pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Leslie Ehrlich

The future of pedal steel

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

I remember reading an article in Guitar Player magazine many years ago that featured a round table discussion on the future of pedal steel guitar. Some legendary pedal steelers were involved in the discussion, and they had mixed feelings about where things were going. Judging from all the information I've gleaned from discussions on the SGF, the instrument's future seems more uncertain than it was back then. Consider the following points:

There are a few forum members who lament the passing of 'traditional' country music. If this means country music that made good use of the pedal steel, then it could include songs that were recorded from the mid-1950s (e.g. Webb Pierce's 'Slowly') on up to the early 1980s (e.g. Ricky Skaggs' 'Crying My Heart Out Over You'). Country music has changed since then, and the rustic charm it once had does not appeal to an urbanized record buying public with a more cosmopolitan outlook on life. That so-called 'traditional country music' includes songs about life on the farm, honky-tonks, and cowboys - songs that don't reflect the way most of us live today.

And because the instrument carries that country stereotype, I've always been hesitant to try it. I play in a rock band, and the bassist grew up listening to the heavy metal music of the 1980s. When I told him I was thinking of buying a pedal steel he almost looked at me as if to say 'I don't know you'. My brother hates country music, and when I told him I wanted a steel he thought I lost what was left of my sanity.

Even if non-country musicians want to try pedal steel, the instrument suffers the problem of availability. I've been playing guitar for over 25 years, and where I live I've seen little more than a dozen pedal steels in local music shops during that time frame. And when I decided to buy a steel none of the local music shops had any in stock. If I didn't have access to the Internet I don't think I would have bought one. The SGF was somewhat helpful in my decision to buy.

Closely related to the issue of availability is the fact that pedal steels are made by small manufacturers. Most of these companies are owned by people who are past or approaching retirement. As George Jones once sang, 'who's gonna fill their shoes' when they're gone?

According to one thread in the forum, a lot of steelers themselves are aging. Some forum members seem worried that the next generation of would-be steelers won't give the instrument a second glance. And don't count on country music to carry the torch. Steel has been pushed further to the margins as contemporary country music slowly converges with rock and pop music.

Finally, the steel is often way off to the side or in the background whenever I see a band performing. I'd like to see a group with the steel out front, preferably with the steel player doing some of the lead vocals. If the instrument is ever to going get any attention, it has to be seen.

I'm sure there are other factors that contribute to this uncertain future, but these are the ones that stand out most in my mind.
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Leslie,
this topic comes around from time to time on this forum, and there never will be given a solution for it. I think that it comes the way it comes and goes the way it goes.
Meanwhile, play the instrument with your heart and enjoy it every way you can. We cannot stand on the barricades and force crowds to listen to us, to listen how pretty the instrument is. Maybe the solution lies in keeping the secrets and the magic, that our instrument exposes to people, to ourselves, the "hard to get" approache. Aren't the nicest girls "hard to get"? ImageJust a thought....
JJ

------------------
Image Click on the pic!

Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Johan, you're right. I'm beating a dead horse. Actually the last point I made makes the most sense. Whenever I get to perform I set up my guitar near the front of the stage. It might not inspire anyone, but at least it will get noticed.
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

Leslie

I like your post.You seem to have some ideas that are reality.We often do not see how many do not even know what a pedal steel is.I hope others will join in on this thread.What is the future of the pedal steel?
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

I am in contact with hundreds of people every month. When a telemarketer calls I answer with"What kinds of Steel Guitars do you Sell?". or ask them "What kind of Steel Guitar do you want?" If I go thru a check out in a store I ask the clerk if they know what a pedal steel guitar looks like. If they say NO I say "It's that SITTIN BANJO you see usually behind Country singers. "That usually opens a conversation and I explain what a Steel Guitar is all about." Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works
Dennis Boyd

Post by Dennis Boyd »

Play the steel guitar in what ever type of music you play. It has the sound and it has the potential. If you like the sound then create with it.
The steel guitar may never be truely recognized until it is featured in a group that is popular to the younger generation. Maybe a new style of music needs to be born before such a change is possible. Something for all of us to think about.
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

A very interesting post and some very interesting replies. Just a couple of thoughts:

A few years back, bluegrass music was waning, too, not many young players, older audiences and older performers. Then Alison Krauss came along and then Nickel Creek. All of a sudden, it's popular like it's never been, getting press and popularity and also getting people interested in fiddles and banjos and mandolins and acoustic guitars. I know, I teach a bunch of folks who hadn't even thought of what bluegrass was a few years back.

Same with steel guitar, I hope. It just takes a couple of people in the right place to make a shift in the directions of popular tastes. There are ALOT of new "alt-country" bands - the Mavericks, Son Volt, Whiskeytown, etc. - that are using pedal steel and definitely have perked up some younger ears. But alot of my peers are just discovering the sound of old (classic) country - Ray Price, Earnest Tubb, Buck Owens, etc.

As one of the younger (30s) visitors on the Forum, I say - don't give up hope in the future of the instrument. Every break or ride you take could attract the attention of a young or unexposed pair of ears.

So many people I know who've never heard of a pedal steel end up asking me: "Wow, that's a beautiful sounding instrument" - even when I play! (;

------------------
Larry Chung
ZB D-10 8+4; ZB Custom S-11 4+4; ZB Student Model 3+1 Yeeeeahhh, Bay-Bee.

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Leslie, let me tell you something...steel guitar isn't the instrument you play if you want to be popular. We, who play it, play it because we love the sound. It's just something that "grabs" a very few people, and it never lets them go. It has unrealized capabilities, true, but it suffers a reputation of a "country instrument", and a "tinkerer's instrument". So what? There's still good, "classic" country sounds being produced, and they feature the steel guitar. Not as it used to be, but pretty close. No other popular musical style has really embraced the instrument. Robert Randolph is enjoying popularity right now, and that's good. Nevertheless, don't expect to see kids flocking to the music store to buy one. It's strange, it's complex, and it's extremely difficult to play. (I've know many fantastic lead guitar players who tried to play pedal steel...and just walked away, months, or years later...scratching their heads.) It's not cool. It's also expensive, and hard to resell, due to the limited market.

In short, it doesn't really appeal to the younger generation...and it's not for everybody...it never will be.

Maybe that's the reason I like it so much.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Ditto Donny. Well put. I like the fact
that 'you ain't gonna learn this one
overnight'. The steel is a constant source of
bafflement, and yeah, frustration. But I wouldn't want it any other way. It forces discipline & concentration. Just like the martial arts.
I think Confucious or Kahlil Gabran or one of those Eastern heavyweights said it's discipline that gives one true freedom.

FWIW
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Last night at my regular gig down at Viva Cantina,an extremely beautiful woman about 35 years old (think Julia Roberts with more curves)was sitting at the table immediatly in front of my steel.As I set up I overheard her talking to the others at her table and she appeared to be extremely intelligent and articulate.When the band started to play,she spun around and sat transfixed at the sound of the steel.After a few tunes,she approached me and said: "What is that instrument you're playing?" I told her it was a pedal steel guitar and I saw her write down "pedal steel guitar" on a napkin. She basically swooned at my feet for the rest of the set and of course left one song befor we broke for intermission but blew me a kiss as she left the club.Of course I'm married but it made my night I'll tell you. And that's why I play the instrument.I really don't care if I'm the last guy on Earth who ever plays one either. -MJ-
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Mike, how many margaritas did you have last night?
Budd Kelley

Post by Budd Kelley »

A tragic confession. I was not a fan of steel guitar. As a young punk, I wanted to play guitar like Rock And Roll!! The instructer my Mom found for me wouldn't teach little kids to finger fret - he only taught them "Hawaiian" - with sissy slides and such. I declined.

After an uninspired career of entertaining my self (self taught) on "real" 6 string guitars, a banjo and a dulcimer that I made from a kit, I found my left forefinger getting stiff and having a catch when I used it to fret strings. Bummer.

I started selling off my goodies. No one wanted the dulcimer and I started playing it because I could (my finger worked better with out the bend in it). After working out the piano chords at the end of "Layla" I lost interest. It just wasn't interesting or a challenge for me.

Then I saw a video and just happened to pay attention to the steel player. No, I don't remember who it was. Several days later, A co-worker was talking about a Dobro his brother had. I don't like most Dobro's. (Jerry Douglas get's a tone unlike any other I have heard and I like it!) Anyway, I started thinking about a steel again and hit the internet and found this here Forum and learned of the Carter Starter and found Shreve Audio and took some money out of savings and started spending!

I can't play this thing worth a darn. I do not play for people - think head phones! I am having a blast making music that I am making myself! It is a challenge and, no, I cannot play the piano chords for the end of "Layla" yet. I am playing for me and I am entertaining me and I am having fun. what more could you want from an instrument?

And that is how I came to the pedal steel.

------------------
Carter-Starter, the cutest little Peavey you ever saw, and now a BJS bar!

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Budd Kelley on 24 November 2002 at 06:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

I did a gig last night,,,the first one in many a moon,,,,had a party of 90,,,,nice old
man. Image When Cooley and Tex Williams left the music scene my interest dwindled. It was
the great playing of Boggs and Joaquin that
kept my interest. Steel guitar has become more popular since tunings have been set to a level where more players are able to achieve more than back when. It has been great for the development of the steel guitar
but I miss the energy and musicianship achieved by the non pedal players of yesterday. Many have tried,,,but none have been able to duplicate what Murphey did 50 years ago, nobody.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 23 November 2002 at 10:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

I have to get in on this one. I have been the staff steeler at Renfro Valley, Kentucky for the last 5 years. We play country, gospel, bluegrass, western swing, and even songs of the "old west". The steel guitar is featured in most everything we do which is fortunate for me. But, most people still have no clue what instrument I am playing. They know the sound, but not the instrument. Once in awhile I will get some youngster asking questions. One or two have shown a real interest in the steel. That's in 5 years!!! Mention the cost of getting started and the kids flip along with mom and dad too!! Now more than ever there are so many options for people to get into the steel. Lessons, internet, Carter Starter and Sierra guitars etc etc. What baffles me is someone wont go out and spend $1200 on a steel and accessories, but no problem putting that money to use in a car stereo and CD's. Priorities I guess!!

I remember when Paul Franklin toured with Dire Straits. I thought the steel would finally get the boost it needed in other types of music and P.F. was the man to do it!!!

I am 36 yrs. old and fortunate enough to be making a living playing steel. If this forum is any indication of what lies ahead, I think we will like the outcome. There are new people getting into the instrument and new members signing on all the time!!

Randall Currie comes to mind as I write this. What a fantastic person and player.

Sorry for the babbling!!! Just my 2 cets worth.

Greg
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

I've said this before and I'll say it again...The steel guitar is no diffrent than a piano, drums, Bass, guitar...it can play ANY KIND of music...Its the person behind it that takes it where it needs to go!!!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Terry Edwards

Post by Terry Edwards »

I started out as a rock guitarist like many others growing up in the 60's. I learned Hendrix, Clapton, and Page licks and I thought I was getting pretty good at it but I soon dicovered that there were a gazillion (1 followed by 13 and a half zeroes) other rock guitar players doing the same thing. I was a small fish in a giant pond. My father played banjo and I hated it but I later discovered the pure beauty in the sound of Bluegrass music so I took up the mandolin and acoustic guitar and never turned back! That too was apparently not enough and I discovered the pedal steel guitar and got hooked! I absolutely love bluegrass, classic country, honky tonk, blues, western swing, and jazz. Now what do these instruments and the music I love have in common?

They are not pop, not very commercial, somewhat mysterious, essoteric, borderline cult, loved by millions, rich in history, the foundation for all modern pop music, not a lot of people can play the instruments and music authentically, hard to find on the radio and TV, etc..etc..

The point is, it is the noncommercial appeal that attracted me to both mandolin and pedal steel. The fact that I could play something unique was the attraction! Some people have referred to my mandoin as a ukelele and had no idea what that "electric table with strings" was!!

So why would I want the pedal steel to be more commercially acceptable and more prevalent on radio? I don't!! I know where to find it and I like it just how it is. The more music and the instruments are made to be commercial and pop, the more the music industry execs control how it sounds and what is played. We are still in control in our small steel guitar world and I like it just fine. Play what you love and love what you play! Ralph Stanley and Bill Monroe had no idea that traditional bluegrass roots music would enjoy the kind of popularity it has right now due in part to the movie "Oh Brother". Good music will endure and stand the test of time. I predict that classic country and honky tonk shuffles will re-emerge one day and those of us that stayed the course will have the pleasure of playing to young audiences that are amazed once again by the wonderful traditional sounds of the "electric table with strings"!!

Staying the course,

Terry
Doug Seymour

Post by Doug Seymour »

Boo! on commercial! That's what's killed the steel guitar?? (who knows?) The young players don't even bother to learn the 6th tunings......too much work??? You have to do something besides mash A & B pedals!?? You have to understand chord stucture, theory, notes and all that music stuff. Heck, they went out and played rock & roll as soon as they could play 3 chords! and got paid for it.....only to be replaced by a DJ that gets as much for a gig as their whole band used to get. Of course he's probably got as much invested as their whole band did, too! Enough of this, throw down your picke & bars!
Never mind the money, play for the pure joy of it.....Ever see Buddy play? Think he's not havin' fun? Think again! Music (or anything else for that matter)needs to be done because you LOVE it, not because it's going to make you rich! Ask the super guys in our world that are building these PSGs.
They are not getting rich, they love building them & improving them. In the process.....self improvement. As players there's room for that, too! OOPs! I just fell off my soap box! bye all!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Doug Seymour on 24 November 2002 at 08:16 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Doug Seymour on 24 November 2002 at 08:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chuck Norris

Post by Chuck Norris »

DITTO! JR. Miles Davis said if you can hear it[IN YOUR HEAD] you can own it.Believe that and the future of steel is bright.So where`s my shades.
Happy Thanksgiving Everybody
Chuck Norris NFM
Wayne Cox

Post by Wayne Cox »

If we truly want the pedal steel to be accepted by newer/younger generations,we,
as players, must learn to adapt and accept different musical styles and forms. Like many of you, my roots are in country music
and western swing; however, I have never been afraid to play rock,rhythm & blues,etc.
As a result, I have never been without work for very long,except by choice. My first efforts in these fields were dismal but I simply had to practice them as with my early efforts at playing counrty. Hey, I'm 54 years old and I even learned to sing and play one Rap "tune". I did not say I enjoyed it,but it translates into "job security".
Many forms of music do not appear as though they would accomodate steel guitar,until someone gets brave and tries it. I never would have thought pedal steel would sound good playing "Moonlight Serenade",but after Buddy did it so beautifully,who is out there that could not love it!
Maybe Mother is the necessity of invention!
That's a sick joke,but it illustrates that learning to look at things differently,opens our minds to new possibilities.
Don't trade in your Emmons for a Strat,just learn to make it sound like one!
~~W.C.~~
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

I was setting up to play with a "metal/noise" band. The house mixer upon seeing the steel came over and wanted to talk about it and what it was doing on this venue. He then went back to the console and started playing all his Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant CDs over the PA. You just never know.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>I know where to find it and I like it just how it is.
We are still in control in our small steel guitar world and I like it just fine. </SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terry,
The bands that let me play what I love tend to be pop bands or new music composers. To replay the same brilliant music that Emmons and Green played with the steel back when it was revolutionary and new in current musical contexts adds nothing more than a cliche. I can think of of no better way to kill off the steel guitar as a viable musical instrument.

Bob<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 25 November 2002 at 07:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I agree with Bob and Terry and the others who expressed the same thoughts. For most of last year I played in a hard driving blues rock band, (which sadly, is breaking up )and we played to audiences who have never seen a steel before, but wherever we played people loved the sound.

This band was not a country rock band. We played Hendrix and Claption inspired hard rock and roll. Our lead singer/guitarist couldn't tell you who who Merle Haggard or Willie Nelson are. I didn't play any E9 country licks in this band, I played things and uzed sounds (distortion) that were appropriate to the nature of the music.

Every time we played, guitar players in the audience came up to me and asked what I was playing. I always let them sit down at my steel and try it out. One guy took my card and called me about buying a steel and taking lessions from me. We have plans to get together after the 1st of the year.
Nathan Delacretaz

Post by Nathan Delacretaz »

I'm new to steel, so maybe my beginner's enthusiasm is blinding me, but I don't see steel facing a crisis. In fact, my case is an excellent argument to the contrary - I fell "bass-ackwards" into steel from a rock/jazz backround with no real traditional country knowledge - but now I'm learning the history and the classic steel tunes simply out of enthusiasm for the instrument.

A lot of people in this thread share my opinion about steel: what makes it great is its unique sound and personality - and by extension, the personality of its players. It is uncommon and esoteric and it's those qualities that we should celebrate. As a performer, I love the fact that a steel player gets to sit and concentrate on the sound, the harmony, the "color" of the music. I consider it a luxury.

Don't think of steel as an "endangered species" on its way out, but rather as a rare bird that a select few can identify and appreciate.
Keith Murrow

Post by Keith Murrow »

..<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Keith Murrow on 26 October 2004 at 04:01 PM.]</p></FONT>