Southern Steel Guitar Convention in Saluda, SC

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Wayne F. Smith

steel show

Post by Wayne F. Smith »

I will be there Sat and Sunday. Looking forward to a great show. Looks like some good pickers lined up.
Wayne
Jerry Reece

Post by Jerry Reece »

Sounds great Wayne, good to here you are doing well. Yes we have a good line up See you soon.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey friends,

Looking forward to this weekend. Wayne, glad to hear you're doin better, best news I've heard.....lately.

Can't make the Sat night jam, won't be back in SC til midnight or so. See ya Sunday morning.

Jim
Wayne F. Smith

hey Jim

Post by Wayne F. Smith »

It will really be good to see you and pick together again. It's been a while. Also good to see Russ Hicks and pick with him and Sid Hudson again. Also all my Saluda friends
Wendell Gurley

Post by Wendell Gurley »

Looking forward to being with some great friends Saturday and Sunday at Saluda--they just also happen to be top of the line pickers!! Be on the road shortly--can't wait--- :D
Jim Meiring

great time in Saluda

Post by Jim Meiring »

Thanks to all the organizers and the great players. Russ's version of the Jimmy Day song was tremendous. Sid Hudson lit it up on the steel and his tele. Larry Moore and the Tammy Wynette song was amazing. the house band was solid as rock as usual. See you in Feb. best wishes, Jim Meiring, Highlands, NC
Mike Archer

Ssgc

Post by Mike Archer »

hey folks Mike Archer here I wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome to the show
I enjoyed playing and meeting everyone!!
im looking forward to coming again to the show
thanks also to Jim Hartley and the house band
and to Gary Skelton for bringing me down
and Charles Powell for bringing me down to the show
thanks Russ and Russler steel guitars!!!
so many great players enjoyed you all
Mike :D
Emmons SKH legrande/ Nash 400 amps
Tele and deluxe amp
Bob Strum

Post by Bob Strum »

Thanks Jerry, Joe and everybody that made Saturday and Sunday another great time. The band...you all know them...Russ another treat to enjoy again. Sid, I didn't know that the neurons could communicate that fast with the fingers!
We miss you David!!
Howard Smith

Great Show

Post by Howard Smith »

I second what Bob said..who also did a really good job on that Pedal Master which is tuned to A6. I must agree that Sid Hudsons improvement since the last time he was here was amazing. This was one of the better shows I have attended here since the good old days. Also the band was spot on and it was good to have Wayne Smith back on stage again.
Carter D10 8/5, Hilton VP, BJS Bar, Sonic Research Strobe Tuner, Elite' Powered Speakers, Fender Telecaster, Traynor YCV40 Tube Amp
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey friends,

Another Saluda show has come and gone, and like always, a great day of music and friends. Many thanks to Jerry for all his hard work, not only for this one, but for the ongoing effort to make every show a fun event.

Way too many pickers, and singers, to mention, but all did a great job. I do want to mention first time Saluda guest Mike Archer. Mike, you're a heck of a player and a real plus to the day's show. It was really great to see you again.

And for featured guest Russ Hicks, he once again showed why he is in the Hall of Fame, and on the very short list of everybody's favorite player. Hard to imagine anyone playing one of those contraptions much better.

Again, another great day in Saluda, already looking forward to the next one.

See ya there,
Jim
Mike Archer

thanks Jim

Post by Mike Archer »

thanks bro Jim you are a great player also
and a credit to every show you play on my friend
I never know if these old hands are going to work or not but it sure was a hoot playing the show
you guys in the band made it so easy for me to play
you all are pros!!
im looking forward to the next show!
thanks again Mike :D
Emmons SKH legrande/ Nash 400 amps
Tele and deluxe amp
Wendell Gurley

Post by Wendell Gurley »

Hey Jim--guess all I need to do is say read your post, it was indeed a great show. You, Russ and all the pickers were in great form for making good music. It was indeed a treat to see and hear Mike Archer for the first time, surely he will let us hear more very soon. To have Wayne Smith back was really a blessing, as well as Johnny and Bob doing their tasteful guitar work. As always, it was a treat to sing with some of the players- THANK YOU to all who allowed me that honor! To Jerry and all others that had a part in putting on the show: We are indebted to you and look forward to the next one!
Jerry Reece

Post by Jerry Reece »

Sorry for not posting sooner. Took some much needed time off. I would like to thank the players and Staff for another great weekend. Thanks to the Saluda Shrine Club for supporting this event for almost 26 years. Hopefully this event has given needy children hope and support in there time of need. Thanks to all who came to the Sat.Nite Jam, it was a great time. To the steel players that were with us: Our featured Guest Russ Hicks.Wondrful job Russ. Bob Strum,Ben Lawson, Steve Alonzo Walker,Larry Moore,Sid Hudson,Chuck Cambell,Kenny Martin,John Swain and Joe Turner. A new player this time Mike Archer, great job. Thanks for Gary Skelton and Charles Powell for coming to promote the Russler Steel Guitars. They sound really good. And to the Staff and the Band: Jason Rushton. Great to see Wayne Smith back with us. Bob Strickland, Johnny Thomas and Jim Hartley. I cannot thank you enough. And to Terry Rogers for doing the schedule and his normal duties as MC. Thanks again. Hope to see David Christmas at the next one. Hope you are doing well David. And to all the singers: Milton Mounce, Wendell Gurley, Terry Rogers, Bob Strickland, Joe Turner and Jim Hartley on backup. If I have left anybody out please forgive me.
I would like to let everyone know that the Southern Steel Guitar Convention will be moving to a new location. The Jaycee Building at 98 Johnson Rd Belverdere,Sc. Couple of miles from exit 5 on I-20. There will be directions and map before next Convention.

Thanks to all whom support the Southern Steel Guitar Convention.

Jerry Reece and Joe Turner