Peavey Session 400

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Peavey Session 400

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

I bought this amp here on the Forum last summer mainly for the Peavey/JBL 4 ohm speaker in it. Sadly,when the amp arrived the speaker was badly damaged. The seller made me whole on the speaker, but this left me with an amp I didn't need.

As I knew from the pics when I bought it, it's a beater: many rips in the tolex; rust on the corners and chassis strips, could use a new grill cloth (badly); etc. It also was missing the jewel for the pilot light, which was lying loose inside the chassis. I replaced that (no easy task finding the part either(!): Peavey doesn't have it anymore). Someone plugged the extension speaker jack somewhere along the line: no idea why. I also scrubbed some dirt and such off the outside cabinet. With all that: she's still pretty bedraggled looking.

But, the good news is, she sounds good. There is a little ground hum when the reverb is turned up--not severe, but noticeable. Otherwise it sounds good and strong. Inside of the chassis looks clean.

So: I figure if the cosmetics where ok, this amp would be worth @$350. Let's take off 100 for looks, that gets us down to $250. However, as I mentioned, the speaker that came with it was trashed, and I'm not ready to part with my 1502-4 which I need for my Session 500, so let's take off another 100 for lack of a speaker: $150.

I will sell it for $150 plus shipping, as is (=no speaker).

Or:

I could also throw in an EV Force 15" 8 ohm speaker for an extra $50 (so, $200 plus shipping). Obviously the 8 ohm speaker cuts down the power a lot, but I have it in there now it it sounds very sweet. Also the Force line of EVs are way lighter than the original EVs. so it cuts the weight down on the amp a bit.

I've included a pic of the label, in case someone wants to track down the year. Based on the colored knobs, I strongly suspect this is from the later end of the Session 400 model run.

Dan

Dan Beller-McKenna

Bump for for an uuuuuuugly looking (but sweet sounding) amp.
Rex Wiseman

Post by Rex Wiseman »

According to the serial number this amp is a 1979 model
Dan Beller-McKenna

Thanks, Rex.

Sale pending.