Sho Bud pros and cons?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Otis

Bud Time!

Post by Larry Otis »

So after digesting all of the above with great gratitude.....I bought this on Ebay. It is immaculate! near mint! Changed strings, lubed it and tweaked on it awhile and it runs like new. Never been touched! Not one unused hole underneath. The case doesn't even have any wear! I love this thing and here it is! much prettier in person than this. Thank you!
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Perfect!
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Larry,

Last week I bought your guitar's little brother. A red Pro-1 3+3. Unused. Now, I'm a push-pull guy but started out on a Super-Pro decades ago. Sold that guitar some 10 years ago. Then I saw this Sho-Bud and, heck, I'm lovin' it! Stunning color!
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Sweet.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

In general, each of my four previous Sho-Buds had stiffer knee levers than my Emmons LeGrand. Plus, they are heavier than the newer brands.

Other than that, all of them never had any tuning problems, and string breakage was usually only on the .011 and .018 strings, which is normal, after several gigs. I still have a Super Pro with my original BL-705 p/u's on it. Great sound! Very dependable.

Thanx,
Jim
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

For the problem in restringing the .018, just widen that wishbone with a screwdriver so the string will fit. (from anonyomous)

I can't count the number of string changes I made where I didn't change the .o18 because of the difficulty of doing it.
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Good buy.... I have a similar era S-10, and it is probably my all-time favorite steel.
Mine never breaks strings....
And Bo..... I only tuned my PP once.
Adam Sorber

Post by Adam Sorber »

I own two mid 70's pro II's that I use for both live shows and recording sessions. Tried lots of guitars over the years. Nothing compares to the tone of a Bud for me. No tuning problems. minimal string breakage.(usually breaks only occur if I have neglected string changes) Shobuds are great guitars when setup properly. And when I have broken a string it takes me about 1/2 a song to have her restrung and retuned.
Adam Sorber
Sho Bud PROII custom D-10
Sho Bud PROII custom SD-10
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb
James Taylor

Shobud S10

Post by James Taylor »

How old would a Shobud S10 be and were they a professional model or a student and were they a good model; free from cabinet drop etc? James Taylor
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

James,
The student model Sho buds are called "mavericks". The pro level S10 Sho Buds are fine instruments and there value is based on there condition.
Basically all steels have "cabinet drop". It is not a factor when it comes to what is thought of as a pro level instrument. For instance Sho Bud, Franklin steels and old Emmons Push Pulls have noticeable cabinet drop.
Bob
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Sho~Buds have character. Something that many modern guitars can only aspire to have. They can often be picked up at reasonable prices, and usually have great tone and wood.

The punched out zinc parts are a downside on guitars from that era, but they are easily replaced these days with so many people producing replacement 'Bud parts.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

"How old would a Shobud S10 be "

I have a '67. The oldest that I have personally seen was a '63/'64 Fingertip. But I'm certain there are many even older ones out there. I just haven't seen them. I'll bet that a lot of them are C6th, or other 6th tunings, guitars.
James Taylor

S10 Shobud

Post by James Taylor »

Hi and thank you all for your expert experience on the Shobud .I am told this one is 1970's and has 4 knee leavers-the teardrop style - as can be seen in the photograph. Should I be careful of cabinet drop and would the mechanisim be a good set up on that age of instrument. I am assured it is in first class condition with paint work as new, JAMES TAYLOR
Image The picture is included hereImage
Herb Steiner

Re: Shobud S10

Post by Herb Steiner »

James Taylor wrote:How old would a Shobud S10 be and were they a professional model or a student and were they a good model; free from cabinet drop etc? James Taylor
The very first Sho~Bud pedal steel WAS, in fact, a single neck, but an S-8, not an S-10. This would be the Don Warden guitar he played for decade after decade with the Wagonmasters, Porter W.'s band.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

How about a pic of the underside? The mechanical workings.
James Taylor

S10 Shobud

Post by James Taylor »

Hi John, This is the only picture I have, but I will try for more . I am told it is tuned to E9 and it is in excellant condition and stays in tune .thanks for your help -I am green as the guitar! JAMES TAYLOR
James Taylor

S10 Shobud

Post by James Taylor »

Hi John, hope these pictures are alright
James Taylor

S10 shobud

Post by James Taylor »

Hi Larry, your picture looks very similar to the one I have incerted ; is it an S 10 too?
Larry Otis

Post by Larry Otis »

James,
Mine is an S12. An '81 to be exact. Yours looks pretty unmolested as does mine! Regards, Larry
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Sho bud steels sound and play as good as any steel ever made.. I love the action... However over the years I have found them to be very hit or miss as far as tuning stability is concerned.. I know I will get arguments, but some just will not stay in tune at all.. I know , I have owned 8 buds over the past 35 years, Many DO stay in tune I realize that... I am looking for a good stable S 10 as we "speak"... I WILL find an S 10 Bud that plays and STAYS in tune one day.. There is one around, I just haven't found mine yet.. I have a feeling the Buds that stay in tune well don't get passed around much.... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Thanks Larry and Bob for your input . I guess it is quite hard to tell if an instrument is that good even from photographs. I suppose there is an element of chance in it. James taylor :) :) :)