Shobud Fingertips and Permanents----got a picture??

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joel McCoy

Post by Joel McCoy »

hey, I paid $1880 for my Fingertip and my Compactra on Ebay. Not trying to gloat , but show that deals exist. :D
'64 Sho-Bud Fingertip D-10 9+1, Goodrich VP, Sho-Bud/Evans Compactra 100 Custom, Sho-Bud/Evans Compactra 100 Head unit, '75 Tele, '77 Guild D25, '71 YBA-1, Marshall 4x10 and a Les Paul.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

Here's the ABM page JB mentioned, it's the inside back cover of ABM's complete and fairly large catalog of musical instrument parts.

Michael Lee Allen

Curly Chalker with Sho-Bud and Compactra...

Michael Lee Allen

Buddy Emmons with Sho-Bud and Compactra...

Daniel Ibanez

Post by Daniel Ibanez »

Michael Lee Allen wrote:Here's the ABM page JB mentioned, it's the inside back cover of ABM's complete and fairly large catalog of musical instrument parts.
Yeah, similar to the brochure I have, only mine in German only.
Thanks for sharing.
Michael Lee Allen

My ABM catalog is undated, sixteen pages total, bilingual German and English. They make a full line of guitar tailpieces, vibrato units, bridges, jacks, even a page of banjo parts.

Michael Lee Allen

James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Here's a pair of early fingertip keyheads we made for a project. They use brass string ball ends for rollers. The project we are doing is bringing this fingertip back to original form. It's no secret anymore that it is the Lightening bolt seen in the pics of the above post. I have started a thread and here's the link for these new fingertip parts:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 65#1901765

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

TIP: A good way to clean the underside of a guitar (If it's stripped down, of course), is to use Orange Hand Cleaner--it lifts the grease and crud easily, yet does not harm the finish. I think it works very well.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Alan Berdoulay

Post by Alan Berdoulay »

What a sweet old guitar that is
Bob Muller

Post by Bob Muller »

Very clean machine!!
Bob Muller

Post by Bob Muller »

Well I have managed to dig up yet another Fingertip guitar. This one looks to be an early one, in need of restoration seems to have some very nicely figured wood in the cabinet. It is missing a few parts, one pedal Rod, knee lever, wiring and switches, but seems to be fairly solid overall. It looks like someone has put the later style pickup housing's, and pickups on the guitar. The serial number is interesting 6-111-111 still not quite sure how to date these yet.

The guitar has very nice maple wood grain on the top :) :) It also has the early style fret boards with wide fret marker lines.

The pickup mounting plates, and the pickups, are from a later style fingertip, the missing screws from the back plates have no screw holes drilled into the guitar below them. The pickups appear to be from a later style like a professional.

The string pullers are the old flat back style.

The guitar has, Ten cross shafts for pullers, but only nine pedals, and has only one cross shaft for a knee lever. This will require some rearranging, but it looks doable. It should make an interesting restoration project.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Way to go Bob. Looks good now but I know she's really gonna be a beauty when you get done with her.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Stunning! The Maple is outrageous, and the Rosewood has wonderful color!
Carl Mesrobian

Re: How many still gig with their Fingertip or Permanents?

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

James Morehead wrote:Saturday, I basked in Shobud Fingertip tone, as projected through my Fender Vibrosonic, as well as 100 degree sunshine. Nasty 35 mph wind at our back sides--our sound probably carried on up to Kansas. Glad I had an extra George L cable for my hat! :twisted:

James:

You ran the stop sign :whoa:
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

No Carl, I stopped first-----kinda! :twisted:
shobud@windstream.net
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Here's a link to the thread about my new parts I am making for Fingertips.

Here's a couple pics:

Last edited by James Morehead on 12 Sep 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shobud@windstream.net
Alan Berdoulay

Post by Alan Berdoulay »

Oh yeah
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

James,
With work like that, you don't have to bragg...It shows. Love the way you staggered the 5 & 6 keys

BF
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

"Love the way you staggered the 5 & 6 keys "

Bill, that's the way they were on the earliest Fingertips. Here's an oldie, so you can compare, and see how accurate, and beautiful, James' work is!

James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Here's a link to the thread about my new parts I am making for Fingertips. I guess I forgot to put it in my post above. :oops:

Thanx for the kind words, it's a labor of love, and these particular parts will be going on the Lightening Bolt.
shobud@windstream.net
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

John B., I simply love that style keyhead--it's got to be my favorite Shobud keyhead for looks and simplicity.
shobud@windstream.net
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Hey John Billings, I love the pics of that perm you have. Interesting about that keyhead on it, there are only grooves for the strings. How well does the string return on that sort of configuration? I'm sure it led to the use of rollers, but I wonder how good/bad they actually played? Anyone have experience with this?
shobud@windstream.net
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Well James, as you know, no pedals came with the guitar. But, considering all the great music that was recorded on these guitars, I assume it was not that big a deal, although rollers were an improvement. A little Nut Sauce, and I'd assume there'd be no more of a problem than there is on six-string guitars, doing bending, etc.. The open strings sound better than open strings on a roller guitar.
Here's a couple pics, before and after, of the keyhead in question;

Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Had one with a similar keyhead, a small can of 3 in 1 oil was a must to keep in tune...Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!