Saddle thumbpicks

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brad Sarno

Saddle thumbpicks

Post by Brad Sarno »

I'm hooked now. Took a few days to adapt.

http://www.saddlethumbpicks.com/

Brad
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Outstanding. I just ordered one. It addresses two 'wish list' factors for a pick (for me)--ability to up & down stroke--can do that with a standard pick but with issues--and the freedom from snagging a string. Thanks for the post. Look forward to trying it. And I'm forewarned by your post that there's a short learning curve. Good to know.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I'm a complete thumbpick junkie - standard guitar, too. I modify several different ones with filed blades and o-ring handles, I'll have to try these. Between them and the Acri fingerpicks, discomfort is a choice, anyway.

http://jdmc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen ... EARCH=acri

(these also need a bit of work reshaping and shortening the blades, but the bands are fantastic).
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I gave them a try and they just weren't an overall improvement for me:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Saddle%20Thu ... Picks.html

Greg
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I orderd the pick primarily for my wife who has a problem with finding small enough picks. They didn't work out for her small size. I though I'd try it but I have relatively small thumb and fingers. I tried the Saddle picks but couldn't get them to fit or feel right, even splitting them to try and fit better.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

For me, the fit is great, really nails it, but it took days to get used to the position of the pick tip part. It's just not where I'm used to a pick tip residing. But my brain got around it and now it's really natural. But I can imagine it's not gonna fit every shape thumb. Didn't work for my wife either.

B
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

I haven't tried one as yet but from the pictures I can see they would make a food(oooops ah meen good) choice for me as the position of the pick nose is in a natural place as if you were playing without a pick.Think I'll order one just to see if I'm right in my assumption.
Tom Mnich

for any ole thumbpick

Post by Tom Mnich »

These look interesting. Recently I came up with this easy modification to wearing any thumbpick. So here 'tis, in case you're interested.

Get some adhesive tape - I use the 1/2" wide cloth kind from the pharmacy. It comes in a convenient sized little plastic covered spool for about 75 cents. I suppose any tape will do.
Tear off a little piece about 1 1/2" or 2" long depending on the size of your thumb.

Stick the tape to the meaty side of your thumb about midway across and let the rest of the tape dangle off to the side of your thumb (away from your fingers).

Now slide your thumbpick on as normal. The tape will be between the pick and your thumb in part and you should have a length of tape hanging below and behind the blade of the pick. The dangling piece of tape should have its non-sticky side against the back of the pick blade.

Wrap the tape tail up around the back of your thumb and secure it to the backside of the thumbpick.

Now you have sealed off the tail of the thumbpick from snagging a string and the tape also prevents the pick from rotating, which allows you to wear a looser fitting pick that pinches less.

Couple of advantages -
works on the most common wraparound thumbpicks out there - so choose your preference for feel.
The tape is cheap. I have used 1 piece more than one time. The spool fits conveniently in my instrument cases. (or my little Plano micro-tackle box thingie that I use for picks, etc.)

Couple of comments
The tape sticks fine and stays in place and lasts all night, in general. I've tried it on several makes of thumbpick. Only on one type of pick that I've tried (Fred Kelly delrin slik pick) the tape wants to lift off the backside of the pick after 3 or 4 songs. (too slik I guess). Probably need duck tape there. :D It sticks all night to the Fred Kelly polycarb slik pick in my experience.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

What do they get for em?
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

$10 for one saddlepick, $18 for two.

Greg
Robert Deemy

Post by Robert Deemy »

del
Last edited by Robert Deemy on 13 Mar 2014 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

How is the "new" design different from the earlier one? I purchased two of them but couldn't seem to come up with the right feel. The pick point doesn't line up with the hand position I'm used to, so my two picks are laying around not being used. I would be willing to try the "new" ones if I can get a "normal" feel with them. (More like the standard thumb pick)
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

I was able to get a great and comfortable fit, but it felt like it was catching on the strings and dragging. Back to the Bug A Blue...
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Didn't care for this pick