57 Fender Champion Value?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Larry Otis

57 Fender Champion Value?

Post by Larry Otis »

I got offered a 57/58 6 string Champion (I think). It.s not the early one with the tele pickup and mots finish. Duo sonic type pickup. Tweed case and legs. Hang tags, instructions, cord and super clean for $700. That seems about top dollar for this these days to me. What do you think? Thanks.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

If it has legs it's not a Champ. It's probably a Studio Deluxe (6 strings, single PU, 3 legs). Basically it's a Champ with legs. They don't have the same tone as the 2 PU Fender steels. Some forum members have described the sound and sustain as "somewhat lacking". I tend to agree. $700 seems a bit high, but on the other hand, it's super clean with hang tags, so that might be about the right price. FWIW the 2012 VGM price guide lists it at $800 to $900 in excellent condition.
Daniel Foster

Post by Daniel Foster »

I had a Studio Deluxe a few years ago, and noticed the same thing. It was a little thin sounding and lacking in sustain. I’ve wondered if it’s just a pickup issue, or if it’s something in the design. I really love the compactness, looks, solid build, and feel of those. If it’s just a pickup issue, that’s an easy fix. I'm always on the lookout for another at a good price to see if a new pickup is a good fix.