Twin Reverb Speakers

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Norman

Twin Reverb Speakers

Post by Paul Norman »

If I change the 2- 10 inch speakers in a 1983 Fender Twin reverb amp to a 15inch Black widow will it be more steel compatible?
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

Paul, I have a 70's model Peavey Deuce that originally had (2) 12" speakers in it and when Ray Walker split the case he installed a 15" Black Widow. Just about everyone that has played thru it or heard it loved the amp. I still have another Deuce with the (2) 12" and the 15" sounds much better to my ears, but in all fairness the 12" speakers are original as far as I know. I believe the 15" would be superb for that Twin.
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

It sounds excellent for lead guitar , but it doesn't sound good with steel. I thought maybe the extra speaker movement room would help.
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

I have two Twins with 15" JBL's, a D130 and an E130... both were greatly improved with the 15" speakers.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Paul, I expect your speakers are 12" rather than 10". Before you go and change anything, just unhook the #2 speaker. That's what I do with my Twin. You will find that you get a different, tighter sound that to me is more pleasant with steel. Another plus is it sounds great with guitar that way. I know I'll get flak some some on this, but Fenders are very forgiving of impedence mismatches. I also have a single 12" in my Vibrolux.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Thanks for all the comments.
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

Clyde Mattocks wrote:Paul, I expect your speakers are 12" rather than 10". Before you go and change anything, just unhook the #2 speaker. That's what I do with my Twin. You will find that you get a different, tighter sound that to me is more pleasant with steel. Another plus is it sounds great with guitar that way. I know I'll get flak some some on this, but Fenders are very forgiving of impedence mismatches. I also have a single 12" in my Vibrolux.
Clyde, you're right about Fenders (Twin Reverbs, at least) being very forgiving about impedance mismatches. Over 30 years ago I put a 4 ohm D130 in my '65 Twin, and have never looked back. Before I knew any better I ran a second cab with another 4 ohm D130 in it, putting a 2 ohm load on the amp, going the opposite direction from you disconnecting one speaker. Conventional wisdom says that should have destroyed the amp, but it sounded like a million bucks and still does today. I don't recommend anyone doing this, though.

I never tried a 15" Black Widow in it, but suspect it would sound fine. I've always preferred JBLs, but that's just me. I'm sure the audience couldn't tell any difference. They're both fine speakers.
Johnny Thomasson
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Although the amp sounds pretty good with pedal steel (starting settings I'd recommend would be Treb 3, Mids 2 and Bass 6-7) an even more "steel friendly" amp could be made by changing the slope resistor to around 200k. Better yet, you could add a 250k pot where the slope resistor is. That would essentially give you a "mid shift" control, and would vastly increase the tonal capabilities of the amp.
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Thank you all for your input.
John Robel

Post by John Robel »

A great musician and friend here in Spokane, Don Larson, years ago sold me a Peavey monitor and took out the 15" scorpion replaced it with a B/widow and by unplug/plugging in a cord I can change between speakers. Hell of a difference in sound with only having a monitor cab to lug for a penalty. Get a 15" and and a sheet of plywood, fire up the table saw and give it a try!
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Thanks. I already have an extension 15 inch I can hook to it.