more delay drama @@ !!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Karen Sarkisian

more delay drama @@ !!

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I have in my possession a TC Electronics Flashback Delay pedal. A friend let me borrow it for steel guitar. I think I might prefer it to my Carbon Copy. The Tape Echo setting is especially nice. I find it is a nice compromise setting between the true analog CC (which gets a little dark and distorted especially above the 12th fret) and the sterility of a digital delay like the Boss DD-6. I also have an 1980s Boss DM-3 made in Japan which is supposed to be the holy grail of analog delay pedals, but it is really only good for fast slapback and a bit darker than then carbon copy. it also distorts a bit. The flashback doesnt distort at all and the repeats are very clean but it does not sound as sterile as the Boss DD-6. I would love to hear some thoughts from others regarding delay pedals. I would like to try the Strymon El Capistan but it is very pricey and may have more features than i really need. chime in if you have any thoughts on delay or have compared the Flashback to the CC, I would like to hear other's experiences. also curious about ehx memory man
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Hi Karen,

I currently use the Flashback delay along with the T.C. Electronics reverb unit from the same series.

I had a carbon copy for about a month, then I detected a distortion from the unit and I couldn't use it anymore. It's subtle, but for me, once hear something like that it's not going to work for me. I imagine the CC could be a good unit for lead guitar work where that kind of "dirty" sound may be welcomed.

I had the same thing happen with an RV3 unit. One time I heard a certain sound, more like an artifact I suppose and I had to get rid of it. I actually sold it with the caveat that it may not have been working properly, but the new owner who got it for 1/3 of what they're going for never complained.

I've never heard anything from the Flashback I don't like but I've always only used the setting that "ducks" when there's input to the unit. I can't remember what it's called. This allows for plenty of delay during a sustain passage but will get out of the way during a busier picking package.

I end up using both the T.C. Electronics reverb and delay unit together all the time. I use both sparingly. I haven't been looking to replace these yet and it's been about 18 months.
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

I use a Boss DD3 digital delay with no problems at all. It's mounted on my steel seat and that's nice.
Bob Graff

delays

Post by Bob Graff »

karren, if you want to spend the money the lexicon mpx1 is agreat unit. they are hard to program, buddy castleberry a forum member will program it for you. he has alot of john hugheys setting in it and they sound great. it has a good reverb and delay that is real clean sound. bob
Karen Sarkisian

i noticed that the carbon copy delayed signal is a bit muffled and it gets worse as the delays repeat. i set my delay to only 1 repeat so its not horrible but i really dont like it. it also colors the tone imo, which my dm-3 does not. the problem i have with a lot of the digital delays is that they sound a bit sterile but maybe warm and clear is too much to ask for in the world of delay. the flashback comes close however.
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Great reviewing guys. I may want one of these for my six string pedalboard because it's small and does tap tempo and loops which my old boss dm2 does not do. Still love the sound of the dm2 btw...

Karen, have you ever played through a good tape echo machine like an echoplex or space echo? They definitely excel at the longer delays, but the difference between an echoplex and a digital pedal is like comparing an mp3 to a reel to reel player.
Karen Sarkisian

I havent but I have heard good things about the Stryman El Capistan as well.
Karen Sarkisian

Brett Lanier wrote:Great reviewing guys. I may want one of these for my six string pedalboard because it's small and does tap tempo and loops which my old boss dm2 does not do. Still love the sound of the dm2 btw...
Brett do you use the dm-2 for pedal steel ? i also love the sound of my dm-3 but it is limited
Karen Sarkisian

Brett Lanier wrote:Great reviewing guys. I may want one of these for my six string pedalboard because it's small and does tap tempo and loops which my old boss dm2 does not do. Still love the sound of the dm2 btw...
Brett do you use the dm-2 for pedal steel ? i also love the sound of my dm-3 but it is limited
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

I do. Though I'm more into playing with just reverb these days. I use the dm2 when recording so I can control the length and amount of delay and then let the engineer add their fancy reverbs that I could never afford (or carry around).
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

The MXR Carbon Copy is supposed to break up and thin out a bit with each repeat. Like making a xerox of a xerox, the quality of each repeat has diminishing return. A digital delay like the DD3 on the other hand, will produce a fairly accurate reproduction of the original signal.

Clete
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I have a DD-3 that has been modded by Analogman. It is quite nice. It is their "hi cut" mod.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Karen Sarkisian

Clete Ritta wrote:The MXR Carbon Copy is supposed to break up and thin out a bit with each repeat. Like making a xerox of a xerox, the quality of each repeat has diminishing return. A digital delay like the DD3 on the other hand, will produce a fairly accurate reproduction of the original signal.

Clete
i think they both have their benefits. i definitely need one of each :lol:
this is one of the reasons i'm liking this flashback tho, the tape delay setting seems to sit right in the middle of the muddy analog and pristine digital.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I have more delays than I need but not as many as I want!...HUH? Some politician said that about guns in Texas.

Truth is, I use a DD-3 with a bit of RV-5 that buffer the signal a bit, not a bad thing, and mostly use the delay in slower songs. I also have some no name cheapo delays that I won't mention that sound nice. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.
Karen Sarkisian

Mostly I just need to practice more :whoa:
Olie Eshleman

Post by Olie Eshleman »

I have an EHX Memory boy deluxe that seems to cover every delay need I could think of. It's analog, but seems clearer than my old Ibanez AD80 did. Though I must say i really liked that thing, but certainly not because it was clean. I don't care for the boss delays, or the line 6 unit that I had either, I've never tried the TC electronics units. With this EHX pedal, I find I like a 300-400ms delay with a bit of mod for a chorus-y effect for slow songs, but only about 30% mix. But if you want to get real weird, it has 5 tap divide settings and an expression pedal input that will control any one of the functions of the pedal.
Karen Sarkisian

cool. will have to check out that memory toy... i would love for an el capistan owner to chime in
Cory Dolinsky

Post by Cory Dolinsky »

Hi Karen,

I had a flashback it sounded good. It was nice having different delay settings, but I didn't like not being able to change the modulation, etc. Also the tap tempo thing was kind of hard to do. Holding the button down and strumming the tempo. So I returned it and bought an el capistan. I have only had it for a couple of days but I really like it. It sounds awesome and you can get alot of sounds with it. Plus it has the non click switches which are really nice. The sound on sound mode is really cool.

I used it on a gig last night with a loud classic rock band. We do a couple of pink Floyd tunes and it worked great for sustaining chords and such. You can really get alot of sounds out of the el cap. I'd go for it. If you don't like it return it.

Cory
Karen Sarkisian

thanks Cory. I definitely want to check the El Cap out. no shops around me sell them though so will have to buy online.
Rick Kreuziger

Post by Rick Kreuziger »

Wampler's Faux Tape Echo is worth a look too...
I have one on my six string pedal board & it's excellent, but I've never tried it with steel. I need to... :)
http://www.wamplerpedals.com/faux/tape-echo.html

They also have the same pedal without the tape echo.. called Faux Analog Echo.
http://www.wamplerpedals.com/faux/analog-echo.html

I especially like the tone control of the repeats.
Joshua Grange

Post by Joshua Grange »

Karen!
The El Cap is AMAZING. It's actually an inspiring and easy pedal to use. Wonderful tape flutter and echo settings, sound on sound like the Echoplex, and hidden knob functions when you hold down both buttons, including the Roland Space Echo reverb for amazing ambient sounds, tape bias for control of the repeat fidelity, and tape warble for non subtle tape wow and flutter adjustment. And when you hold down the tap tempo button you get infinite repeats on command.

I have them on my pedal boards for both kd lang and Sheryl Crow and I love them.

BTW their Flint pedal is an amazing reverb and trem pedal also.
Karen Sarkisian

okay thats it, I am buying an el Capistan ! would love for peeps to share their settings. thanks !
Karen Sarkisian

now I'm back to liking my carbon copy. go figure :lol:
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

This is drama! :lol: