Are there any pedal steel players near Shelburne Falls Ma?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Banville

Are there any pedal steel players near Shelburne Falls Ma?

Post by Ben Banville »

I would love to find players living locally, or within a reasonable distance of Shelburne Falls who would be interested in getting together for a session or two to share their knowledge. I've recently met with a couple of players and it was such an amazing experience to share information. It was nothing short of fabulous! I'm not sure if this is the right category to post in, but I'm sure someone will let me know if it isn't. Thanks.

Last Sunday I had a great session with Sam Gibson from Hampden Ma. Here's a pic of his Fessenden 12 and my BenRom#4.
BenRom pedal steel, 1963 Guild Starfire III, Gretsch 5120, S.A. Robelli Strat, Fender 1957 reissue Mex. Strat, Fender Highway One Tele, Schecter Jazz-6

"Ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering
there is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in"...Leonard Cohen

Ain't nothing quite like hearin' that high lonesome bent sound!
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Doug Beaumier teaches at Downtown Sounds in Northampton. Seriously, you should hustle down there and get some lessons, Doug's a fine player with decades of experience.
Ben Banville

Post by Ben Banville »

Hey Dave,

Thanks! I know Doug and took a lesson from him last May. I plan to do so again, but at $50.00 an hour, it's not on the agenda just yet. Just lookin' fer local folks who wanna talk shop and share a few licks and chords. I did get together w/ Ron Banks and Sam Gibson recently and it really jump started things. The 34th Annual N.E. Steel Guitar show is next week in Norwalk Conn...Lookin' forward to that one!

Take care,

Ben (rnard)
BenRom pedal steel, 1963 Guild Starfire III, Gretsch 5120, S.A. Robelli Strat, Fender 1957 reissue Mex. Strat, Fender Highway One Tele, Schecter Jazz-6

Allen Kentfield

Shelburne Falls

Post by Allen Kentfield »

It's nice to hear somebody's trying to bring steel to that part of the country. I played that area years ago with Mark Snow. My neice is engaged to a guy from Shelburne.
Do you have any honky tonks around there now? I played at Alan's Bar-B-Que on Rt. 2 in Gill back in 1972 with Red Sweeney. I was on lead guitar and Dobro. Started playing steel later that year.
Sammy G. custom-made linkage for a knee lever on my Sho-Bud. It still works. Thanks, Sammy! 8)
Ben Banville

Post by Ben Banville »

Hey Allen,

I just saw your post. Usually they're forwarded by the Forum, but there must be a ghost in the machine. There ain't much for Honky Tonks in these parts lately...Allen's is gone. There's the Rt 63 Roadhouse in Miller's Falls, The Rendezvous in Turner's Falls, The Arts Block in Greenfield. Amherst and Northampton have more venues. A lot of the gigs get taken up by them infernal DJs. As for me,...just a newbie who's been to a few jams (and survived 'em ;>) but no gig yet. I'm only a year into it but it's commin'along. I just need more seat time.

Take care,

Ben

P.S. That's Sam G's Blue Fessy in the photo

Allen Kentfield

Post by Allen Kentfield »

Hi Ben
Thanks for the comeback. It seems like a long time ago I posted to you on the forum. Glad you finally found it. I'll give you a shout when I get back that way. 8)
Ben Banville

Post by Ben Banville »

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the message. By all means, if you're ever up in the area, please do get in touch. It would be great to connect.

Take care,

Ben

Joel Meginsky

W/Mass steel player from Springfield

Post by Joel Meginsky »

Hi Ben, I've known Sam since 1996. He got me started on the U-12, but I've defected to a 10 and 12 string lap for the time being. I do see him regularly and he's mentioned you and the fact that we might come over his garage and steal (share) ideas. I've done this with him in the past. BTW, isn't the steel thing in Norwalk in the fall? Regards, Joel Meginsky
Don R Brown

Re: W/Mass steel player from Springfield

Post by Don R Brown »

Joel Meginsky wrote: BTW, isn't the steel thing in Norwalk in the fall?
The post which is misleading you is from November 2012. Don't feel bad, I didn't catch on at first either.