Your shining star............steel player

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Montee

Your shining star............steel player

Post by Ray Montee »

Have YOU....... ever had the opportunity to meet your favorite steel guitarist idol?

I've been fortunate to meet Billy Robinson, JERRY BYRD, Speedy West, Lloyd Green, Jeff Newman and LT Zinn.

I'm now satisfied.....altho' it would be fun/nice to meet other really top stars.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I've met Emmons and Day. I'm satisfied with that.
Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

I met two great steel player gentlemen before they passed-Don Helms and Herby Wallace. Two of the best!
Lynn Fargo

Post by Lynn Fargo »

Yup, And he's such a sweetie-pie. I had to make him another shirt since he grew out of the first one I made him 35 years ago.

My buddy, J.D. Call, Pure Prairie League!
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, GFI Ultra SD-10, Fender Pro Amp, Fender Mustang II Amp, Morrell 8-string lap, Epiphone 6-string lap, Galveston reso, etc.
Franklin Lehlbach

Post by Franklin Lehlbach »

I've met Buddy Emmons and was friends with Lynn Frazier - back when he was in high school. His family played on the Midnight Jamboree after the Opry (at the Ryman) one night at E.T.'s Record Shop. Buddy Emmons was there and after the family's gig someone joked that "Emmons just broke his (Lynn's)fingers". He was amazing - and so was Emmons. This was in the 1963 timeframe. Lynn must have been 14 years old and played a Fender.

A long, long time ago. :( :(
William Lake

Post by William Lake »

Not a steel player, but I met and jammed with Barney Kessel once. My feet did not touch the ground for over a week.
Bill
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Yep..........even got to pick with some of them. 'course they had to play down on my level. I've been really lucky.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Met Jerry Byrd, and some forum friends over the years
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Ray I met YOU.

Larry Behm
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

First steel player I ever met was Stoney Stonecipher at Dollywood-he is the man who got me into playin' steel guitar in 1998-that was fourteen years ago. I met a lot of my steel heroes like John Hughey, Paul Franklin, Don Helms, Tim Sergent, Randle Currie, Teddy Carr, Lloyd Green, and so many others. I think my steel's builders, David, Harry, and Dawn Jackson can be heroes too because they built my best steel with the sound I've been lookin' for for almost thirteen years.

Brett
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I've feel that I've been incredibly blessed in my professional life to have met and become friends with so many of the greats of steel guitar, but I would say that friendships with Speedy West, Jimmy Day, Buddy Emmons, and Joaquin Murphey are standouts to me because I learned so much of how it was done back in the day from the masters themselves.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ray Montee

Ah yes...................

Post by Ray Montee »

and LARRY..........

I've met YOU!

You're simply too kind........
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I have had the privlidge of meeting my favorite steel player, Buddy Emmons. I have met Paul Franklin, John Hughey, Jeff Newman, Mike Sigler, Herby Wallace, Jay Fee Maness, Jr. Knight, Joe Wright, Zane King and Gary Carpentar. All of these men have made an impact on my playing steel guitar.
Peter Nylund

Post by Peter Nylund »

I've had a cyber toddy with Gary Lee Gimble. Does that count?
I know my playing is a bit pitchy, but at least my tone sucks
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

The one and only Jay Dee. I was fortunate to have met him when he was a teen-ager and playing his little 6 string lap. What an great man and player.