Vintage Emmons... iiish, it's in pretty bad shape!!!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

sylvainvallieres

Post by sylvainvallieres »

Alex,c'est dommage qu'elle n'a pas été entretenue mais c'est probablement arangable,je connais quelqu'un qui m'a installer une pedal de plus que j'avait commander chez Al Brisco et qui m'a demancher mon ''changer'' pour tout le nettoyer,il a fabriquer 2 guitares pendant ses luchs a la shop ou il travaillait baser sur sa MSA,si ton monsieur veut te la laisser pour un prix raisonnable,celle que Jerry a dans les vidéo c'est probablement celle que j'ai,une 66 S-10 avec un pad ''clipper''
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Lynn, about the leg socket..what is your experience in taking the end plate off, and welding the hole shut, boring it out and re-tapping? I am thinking about warping and such ugly things....
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

[quote="Donny Hinson" This isn't a wrap, or even an early B-O,[/quote]

Donny,
What does "B-O" mean?
Thank you.
Mitch
Eugene Cole

Re: Vintage Emmons... iiish, it's in pretty bad shape!!!

Post by Eugene Cole »

Alex Cattaneo wrote:Allright guys, I got some pictures and more info. Hope you guys can fill in the blancks for me.....

Check out the damage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87959690@N ... 048511801/
When I try to go to the URL I get a message which reads "Oops! You don't have permission to view this page."

Why/How is it that the rest of you could view the images?
Regards
-- Eugene <sup>at</sup> FJ45.com

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)
Gary Watkins

Re: Vintage Emmons... iiish, it's in pretty bad shape!!!

Post by Gary Watkins »

Eugene Cole wrote:
Alex Cattaneo wrote:Allright guys, I got some pictures and more info. Hope you guys can fill in the blancks for me.....

Check out the damage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87959690@N ... 048511801/
When I try to go to the URL I get a message which reads "Oops! You don't have permission to view this page."

Why/How is it that the rest of you could view the images?
I get the same thing also.
If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool. It's just that the person trusted you far more than you deserved.
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

Sorry guys, I think I might have deleted those pictures.

Anyhow, I'm happy to report that Lynn Stafford bought the instrument and will restore it. I just shipped it today. I'm happy someone will bring it back to it's former glory. I'm not mechanically inclined, and I prefer to spend my time playing the darn thing!
Lynn Stafford

Leg Sockets

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Bent Romnes wrote:Lynn, about the leg socket..what is your experience in taking the end plate off, and welding the hole shut, boring it out and re-tapping? I am thinking about warping and such ugly things....
Bent,

Well, I don't think I'll have to worry about the leg socket on this one, according to Alex. I've had experience with Heli-coil inserts but I'd be very leery about welding up the hole, for fear of warping the end plate. It might be possible, if done by a very talented welder though. Perhaps the use of some copper heat sinks wrapping the corner would be helpful. I just saw that trick being used by a welder to repair the very thin fulcrum edge on a LeGrande end plate.
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

sylvainvallieres wrote:Alex,c'est dommage qu'elle n'a pas été entretenue mais c'est probablement arangable,je connais quelqu'un qui m'a installer une pedal de plus que j'avait commander chez Al Brisco et qui m'a demancher mon ''changer'' pour tout le nettoyer,il a fabriquer 2 guitares pendant ses luchs a la shop ou il travaillait baser sur sa MSA,si ton monsieur veut te la laisser pour un prix raisonnable,celle que Jerry a dans les vidéo c'est probablement celle que j'ai,une 66 S-10 avec un pad ''clipper''
translates to:

Alex, it's a shame it has not been maintained, but this is probably arangable, I know someone who has me installing a pedal more than I had ordered from Al Brisco and me dislocate '' change'' for my whole clean, making it 2 guitars during his luchs to the shop where he worked based on the MSA, if your man wants to leave you for a reasonable price, the one in the video Jerry c is probably the one that I, a 66 S-10 with a pad clipper''''
D.S. Rigsby
Bent Romnes

Re: Leg Sockets

Post by Bent Romnes »

Lynn Stafford wrote:
Bent Romnes wrote:Lynn, about the leg socket..what is your experience in taking the end plate off, and welding the hole shut, boring it out and re-tapping? I am thinking about warping and such ugly things....
Bent,

Well, I don't think I'll have to worry about the leg socket on this one, according to Alex. I've had experience with Heli-coil inserts but I'd be very leery about welding up the hole, for fear of warping the end plate. It might be possible, if done by a very talented welder though. Perhaps the use of some copper heat sinks wrapping the corner would be helpful. I just saw that trick being used by a welder to repair the very thin fulcrum edge on a LeGrande end plate.
Thanks, Lynn. I'll run that trick by my welder. Also maybe preheating would work.
Lynn Stafford

It's Now Been Restored...

Post by Lynn Stafford »

I thought I'd share with everyone that this old Emmons push-pull now has a few more years of life in her!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 84#2046984
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Amazing job, Lynn. See my added kudos on the other thread! :)
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill L. Wilson

Recycled Emmons

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

STUNNING!!!!!!!!! MAN, WHAT TALENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARTISAN EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!!!!!!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Mr Stafford - you are a magician of the highest order. To turn that dog of a guitar into something that beautiful was an amazing piece of work. Well done, and lets hope whoever gets this guitar next treats it with due reverence. :)

It's great that the guitar was not scrapped for its parts as some suggested. It is better than new now.
Last edited by Ken Byng on 30 Jan 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Lynn Stafford

Replies

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Herb Steiner: Thanks very much for your very kind words. I look forward to seeing you and hearing you perform in Dallas soon!

Doug Beaumier: Thanks so much!

Bill Wilson: Gosh, thank you!

Ken Byng: I'm very humbled by your comments...thank you so much.
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST

Billy Knowles

Lynn

Post by Billy Knowles »

Lynn is as good as it gets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob Munn

Post by Rob Munn »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAN9ep6syjQ

Just had to google Jerry Robitaille and I found this video of him and Johnny Farago, a good looking gal with real long hair, and is that that old Emmons Jerry is playing? An interesting take on Ronnie Milsaps tune. Good playing there. When did he die? I would like to hear what it sounds like now.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Here's another possible project, an early S10. Looks like it was originally a six pedal one knee model. This guitar needs you, Lynn!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emmons-pedal-st ... 27cfac2479