Low F#->G# on the 'D' lever?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Bauer

Low F#->G# on the 'D' lever?

Post by Chris Bauer »

Help me out with this ones, kids...

I'd like to experiment with the low F# to G# change but don't want to lose my low G# to F# (Which is on the same lever - my LKR - as the high F# to G#). I was thinking of adding the low F# to G# on the same lever as the 2nd and 9th string drops (RKR). My E string lowers are on my RKL.

I'm having trouble seeing the bigger picture of what I'd gain and lose with that arrangement. Thoughts?
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Not a bad idea Chris.However this will be stiff on most guitars and could make your 1/2 stop a little funky.But will give you some idea as to weather you want to keep the change.Tommy White has his low F# to G there.I say go for it.That's the 2nd best place for it.1st place being with the 1st and 2nd string raise.----------bb
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

Thanks Bobby.

Anyone else have some thoughts about this?
Dennis Boyd

Post by Dennis Boyd »

Hi Chris,

You'll lose an important scale tone if the F# is not available with the lower C#.

Dennis
Chick Donner

Post by Chick Donner »

Most people I know (including me) who raise the 7th do it on the RKR, the pedal that drops the 2nd and 9th. That would include John Hughey, BTW.
Terry Wendt

Post by Terry Wendt »

Hey Chris,

I pull 1/2 of that change (F#--> G) on a RR with the 1st string to G#. If I were trying to leave the other knee the way it is you can try putting it where you lower the 5th sting to A#. I would also consider being able to use it conjoined with lowering the E's. I find that combination more useful than when using the 2+9 lower lever.

[my opinion]

------------------
TheEarlyDays.com

and appearing regularly...
Jimmy Crawford/Russ Hicks... and Buddy Emmons on Bass! aLotOfSpace.com