Little Walter Owners Chime In

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Todd Brown

Post by Todd Brown »

I agree, Dick. Amazingly neat and clean. Brad's Rev pre looks pretty badass inside, too. Now, why can't we see what the LW looks like on the inside? :\
Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Hi,

Having had the pleasure to play through, and have a quick peek inside of, a Little Walter amp over here in Sweden last year I can corroborate the statement that the amp is built using no tag, turret or eyelet boards. Save for a few terminal strips (for intermediate wiring) the Little Walter is a pure point-to-point build ... and a very solid electrical/mechanical construction to boot.

Wish I had taken some pictures of the inside, but playing the amp was much more appealing at the time. Sorry.

-- Jan
CDs: Waltz for Elma (2015), Steel Reflections (2009)
Gear: 10-string Desert Rose "Delta Blues", Fender Deluxe 8, Fender CS Nocaster
Transcriptions of Lloyd Green's music: www.lloydgreentribute.com (Tablature menu)
Gordon Hartin

Post by Gordon Hartin »

All of these amps are great! I have not had any problems with them. They are expensive, but after talking with both Ken Fox and Phil Bradbury, I have confidence that they will always stand behind their amps.

Gordon Hartin
Last edited by Gordon Hartin on 15 Sep 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

I guess everyone uses what they can shuck out the bux for, or what they think sounds the best. I have a FOX 4x10 that has done a great job for me, and has many hours on it. I'm sure these are outstanding rigs too. I only have one question, and I'm sure it has been asked over and over, but why did they name them after a 50's blues harp player? Seems a strange choice, but I think there is "more to the story"???
Tim Heidner

Post by Tim Heidner »

Phil says on the website that his nickname is Little Walter cause he looks like Walter Cronkite.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

"and that's the way it is"
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

I must have missed that. Thanks for the reply and "the rest of the story"........
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:"and that's the way it is"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh, and nice wall there, Gordon. What time is supper? :mrgreen:
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Gordon Hartin

Post by Gordon Hartin »

You think I can still afford supper? ;)

gordon
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

I tried the Walter....wow......next year I am purchasing one 100%
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I don't visit here often anymore, so would someone advise me about what is a "little walter"? :?
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

When you hear one, YOU'LL KNOW IT! It is a tube amp that works very well for steel guitar, Travis Toy, Bruce Bouton, Vince Gill, and Paul Franklin swear by them. The first time I heard steel played through one, I couldnt believe my ears.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

I'm really happy to see these boutique builders spring up....With the Little Walter, and Tim Marcus' Milkman Amp, and maybe Town and Country.....there seems to be more going on than previously....

I'm pretty new at steel, but for gorgeous sounding Fender-like combos, it seemed that Ken Fox was the only guy doing it, and it looks like he has a few amps left for sale....

Anyway, they all are different - philosophy, provenance, and sound - and there is really something for everyone...if you decide to come up with the $$$...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Is there anyone out there that has a little Walter in their woodshed that would like to post sound or video? I would love to hear some. I have the time jumpers videos on youtube just about wore out :lol:
Jeff Valentine

Post by Jeff Valentine »

Mine should arrive late this week. I'm pretty excited about it! Thanks to Phil for working so quickly to get it built before our October tour. I also appreciate the great customer service he gave me throughout the whole process.

-Jeff
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Jeff, which model did you order? I'm excited for you man! I hope I can try a 50/50 one day soon.
Jeff Valentine

Post by Jeff Valentine »

Thanks, Quentin. I was lucky enough to get the 50/50 with two black widow speakers. I might be able to make a recording, but not until after we're back from our October tour. Phil built it quickly so I'd be able to take it with me.

-Jeff
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Quentin Hickey wrote:Is there anyone out there that has a little Walter in their woodshed that would like to post sound or video? I would love to hear some. I have the time jumpers videos on youtube just about wore out :lol:
I did a demo video for mine when I first got it: Little Walter demos
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

This is a great demonstration from a guitarists perspective..Its the same amp as Dan's example.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJEjvu3P ... re=related

The 50/50 essentially two 50 amps in one head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVZeB6nm ... re=related

Paul
Jeff Valentine

Post by Jeff Valentine »

Mine came in a few days ago. What a cool sound! It was a little bright at first until I turned the tone knob pretty far to the left. Once I did that it was amazing! I'm excited to use it on our upcoming October tour. The line outs sound good in our in ear system too.

-Jeff
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

8) 8) 8)
Jeff Valentine

Post by Jeff Valentine »

I've been touring with mine for over a week now and it's been great! I started using the line outs into a DI with our in ear system. It wasn't warm enough, so we went to mics on the black widows. That was WAY better. Those tubes have worked great out in the Florida sun. I'm very happy with the amp.

-Jeff
Tore Blestrud

Post by Tore Blestrud »

The Little Walter is like an instrument of its own. Love mine!

Emmons D-10 P/P 78", Franklin D-10, Zum Encore. Sho-Bud LDG
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

OK....one "cosmetic" question. Any reason why the heads are so big.
Are the tubes really that tall? What else is in there? I'm sure there must be a good reason, right?
Charlie Powell

Post by Charlie Powell »

Mine has a 5u4g rectifier in it and yes it is that tall. Any shorter and you couldn't change it without sliding the chassis out. I guess he could have saved a bit of height with a 5u4gb but they don't quite have the same sag. Haven't tried one yet..
Charlie Powell