Attendance?

Post by Joe Alterio »

Just curious how attendance was this year? :?:
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I heard it was way down!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Sadly, I heard it was about half full this year.

I was among the missing. We were going to Kansas City, Mo to visit our son and daughter that still live there and then stop in St Louis on the way back to Florida. But, I got tied up recording a CD project for our Drummer and a weekly picking job and didn't get away.

We are planning for "next year".
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I was there this year and first time I've been since 1997 and yes, it was way down from what I remember in 97. I would say less than half.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Danny Hammers
Location: Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.

Post by Danny Hammers »

Well guys it was up a little from last year as per DeWitt Scott Jr.

When we all closed the side rooms for the awards, the ballroom seem to have a little more than last year.

All we can hope is the economy will get better
Last edited by Danny Hammers on 16 Sep 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gibson Console Grand D8 - Weenick DT-10 - Dynalap S8 - TriboTone Bars
Nashville 112s - Vegas 400
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I make it to the convention every year, but stayed home this year because personal finances are way down due to the economy.
If you look at the average age of attendees compared to 30yrs ago, aging might be a factor also.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm sure the economy took its toll.

Not to take away from the outstanding pickers that did perform, there was no Buddy Emmons, Hal Rugg, John Hughey, Jimmy Day, Herby Wallace, etc. These were the heroes that brought many to the ISGC.

The vendor count is down too, partially caused by the smaller crowds and lack of sales. Carter is no longer, Franklin no longer has a booth, Fulawka, George L's, etc. Danny is keeping the Derby room going, but there are no new Derby guitars.

The last time I was there, the steel guitar manufacturer's rooms always had a "name" picker playing and you couldn't try out a guitar if you wanted. We were looking for a pedal steel guitar for my wife and got discouraged as we couldn't try out any.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Jack, I agree with you 100%. The economy has taken it's toll on everything but the absence of the great names of steel guitar has also. I remember the first convention I went to in 1987 I think, wow, I was just awed all weekend by the Big E, Hal, Herbie, John, Weldon,both Jimmy's, Sara, Wally and so many more players.
I also agree with you about the guitars venders and being able to try ou a guitar. I actually got ran out of room in Dallas one year because a bigger name was going to play. Had the money in my hand to buy guitar and had just sat down at one and they made me get up. Needless to say, I'll never buy that brand guitar. That happened twice in same guitar room. One thing I can say about Carter is they were always willing to let you try out any guitar and they also thought enough of us Day players to have a couple set up Day so we could try them out. I bought a Carter that year. None of other venders even have a Day set up guitar to try.
I just think that if I made guitars and wanted to sell them, I would make sure that I had different setup guitars and that anyone that wanted too could try one out. Just me though!
Henry Matthews

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Danny Hammers

Post by Danny Hammers »

Yes Jack we do.
Brand New Derby Steel Guitars still For Sale!!!
D10 8x5 Black $3950.00
S10 3x5 Burly $2950.00
S10 3x5 Black $2950.00

We had 6 steels with us sold 2

Danny
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

The attendance was a little down, but the quality of the show was not. There were some really great players this year, as usual.
Seems to me that all the steel vendors in the side rooms had steels set up for demo, testing or ogling.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've received several private messages about not being able to try out guitars, so its not just me.
Danny Hammers

Post by Danny Hammers »

Hi Jack
Your private messages was wrong.
"Everyone" selling Steels, had setup to try out guitars. Some two or three. Hicks, our room, Fessenden, Excel, Jackson, Scotty, GFI, Mullen, and on and on, come and see next year.

The only thing down this year from last was the number of distributors. But we had some new ones. Attendance up from last year a little (very little)

Dan
Member:
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Danny, I wasn't there this year so I can't say about this year. But I do know about the previous years I attended (I've been going since 1978 when it was at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel). The vendors have rooms with new and used steels but there was always someone (usually a "name" picker) on the room's stage or they were having a jam session or show and no one else could do any tryouts. Carter and the smaller vendors that did not have a room were the exception.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Where I agree with Jack is the loss of the Legends Hughey,Herby,Rugg and Lloyd,"E",Paul and so many not playing that has an effect on attendance..However don't overlook a bigger fact..AGE..The steady crowd that attended year after year loyally has got up there in age..Health and mobility are now a factor..How long can scotty keep putting in the great effort it takes to continue??.O he will go until he can't thats for sure alot of years lets hope..But we all have to go or not for our own reasons,Lets not make any attendance review make up our minds..There is still a ton of things to enjoy,see and hear..I have been to 6 conventions..Last year because Of Russ Hicks induction..I'd still go just to hear him play....
Dennis Detweiler

My sons have attended with me in the past. About 25yrs ago a St Louis newspaper was covering the convention and my sons (8yrs & 9yrs old) got to pose with the big E for a newspaper reporter photo. They've been hooked on the convention music and closeness to big name players since then. Five yrs ago, one son looked around the convention hall and said, "everyone is old. How long will this continue?"
I think the lack of young steel players is a factor. Also, the lack of distinct playing styles is missing, since the older big name players are mostly gone from the stage.
It's not one factor.
I'm 63yrs old. And, this is just my opinion, derived from attending the conventions since 1975.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Dennis, at 63 you are just a spring chicken. I am 69. I am as good as I ever was for the first 10 seconds. :lol:
Dennis Detweiler

Keith, you have spring in your chicken.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Yeh Keith , I hear you, I'm 68 and I'm not as good as I once was but am as good once as I ever was. :lol:

Looking around the convention this year, I did notice that average age is much older than when I was last there in 97. Not many younger players but the young ones I saw are really great. I didn't mean at all either to take away from this years players. They were awesome, all were. The 2 Mike's, Austin, Ron, Russ and Wally Murphy were well worth the trip. Sure hope economy gets better and business picks up.
Henry Matthews

rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

Dennis - Seems funny as I am turning 72 next month - Most people are starting to look younger (the ones that are left)
Ron Petersen
Dennis Detweiler

Ron, and it all went so fast! Soon we'll all be playing the golden push pulls.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Dennis, I remember when Moby Dick was a minnow, and Madam Butterfly was a moth.
Dennis, what you need to straighten you up--make you feel younger-- is Randy Plummer telling you how to play your steel guitar! :lol: One other thing Dennis: Tell your sister the BEST band I ever played with on Ray Price shuffles was that time in Waterloo. Your sister was on bass, and a girl was on drums. Anyway it was an all girl band except for the guitar player who stayed out of the way. Seriously-- that was the best shuffle band I have ever had.
Dennis Detweiler

Ha! Keith, Ya, I didn't show him how to play bass and he didn't show me how to play steel....mutual conclusion.
Yes, the two girls knew how to lay down a shuffle. We used to play several old ballrooms in the area (4/4 swing). Those too, are becoming history. Most of them eventually fell down or burned down. Jeanne and Dusty were fortunate to learn from that era. Electric Park Ballroom in Waterloo is one of the finest left. You played a super set that day.
My Hilton pedal is still working perfectly. It's an early one with the electronic guts inside the pedal.
Best regards and respect,
Dennis
Danny Hammers

Post by Danny Hammers »

Hi Keith
It was so nice to meet you and say hi.
I love my low-p pedal.
and thanks for coming by the Ole Derby Room

Danny
Member:
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Yes, it was good to visit with you Danny. We had a great time at the Show and I enjoyed playing on the Show.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

:(
Last edited by Herb Steiner on 2 Oct 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?