Scam Alert

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

HowardR

Scam Alert

Post by HowardR »

I received this email today from "Todd Clinesmith" or more accurately, somebody who hacked into his email.......

"Hi,

I'm writing this with great grievance . I'm presently in Madrid,Spain with my Family for a short holiday and we're stuck...And really it was unannounced. We were attacked by four armed robbers on our way back to the hotel where we lodged.we were robbed and completely embarrassed.

All our cash,credit cards and mobile were stolen. We've reported the incident to the embassy and the Police but to my dismay they seem not bothered...their response was just too casual.My flight is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon We've got to settle our bills before We're allowed to leave....Now am freaked out....Please I need you to loan some money,I promise to refund you as soon as I'm back home.. . Please Let me know what you can do? Write me back so I can tell you how to get it to me..

Thanks."

------------------------------------------------
Todd Clinesmith
541 670 7218
todclinesmith@yahoo. com

Two things that I noticed......the phone(y) number is different by "18" instead of 81, and the phoney email is missing one "d"........I disabled the link on purpose.....

Don't fall for this........
Fred Glave

Me too

Post by Fred Glave »

I got an email from him too this morning but I didn't open it up. I've gotten several of these types of emails over the years and have learned. Luckily I've escaped virus' and scams. That's why I checked here first for any news on Todd Clinesmith. Now I'll just delete.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Steve Hamill

scam

Post by Steve Hamill »

I received it too Howard and recognized it for what it was. This happened to a local elderly couple who thought they were helping their Granddaughter. The names change to victimize the innocent.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

got it also. i notified b0b. i wonder if the forum has been hacked? i never had any email exchange with chinesmith. how did they get my email and the others here on the forum????
William Lake

Post by William Lake »

I got one too and posted it on Forum Feedback before I read this here.
Scum scum scum.
Bill
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I called Todd to let him know that his email has been compromised.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Thanks for the heads up Howard!

I did not get the email, so if the addresses were harvested from the forum, it would appear that not all were acquired.
b0b

Post by b0b »

It has nothing to do with the forum. It was mailed to everyone in Todd's email address book on Yahoo.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
William Lake

Post by William Lake »

bob, I have never contacted Todd or had an email from him, but I got the scam email.
Something is up.
I am certain whoever sent this is not American. Obviously English is not their first language.
We would not say it is "unannounced" we would say is was unexpected.
Bill
Eric Dunst

Post by Eric Dunst »

I got the identical email addressed not from Todd, but from a friend. This hack (or phishing) has been going around. DO NOT REPLY TO IT! if you have - change your email (or SGF account) password.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

William Lake wrote:I am certain whoever sent this is not American. Obviously English is not their first language.

Scammer's English has improved over the years.....while a few words were a bit awkward, it was still fairly fluent......as I stated in Steel Players.......I've seen far worse English, spelling, & grammar by people who were born and raised in this country......
Chris Watkins

Scam

Post by Chris Watkins »

Hey Guys I received the same email this morning , checked the fourm but at that time nothing had been posted, reguarding the email message , the message I received was the same as Howard R posted, thanks for the Info , I thought something sounded strange, I dont think I have ever spoken w/ Todd :eek:
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

Looks like my yahoo account got hacked. I am trying to get some closure to this issue. Thanks for the many phone calls I have had from folks.
Sorry for the hassle to those who received this email.
Todd
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I didn't get one. So I think that indicates that the forum membership list has NOT been hacked.
Amor vincit omnia
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Edward Meisse wrote:I didn't get one. So I think that indicates that the forum membership list has NOT been hacked.
Edward, send me your email and I'll forward mine to you. :P
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

I didn't get one. Maybe it's because I'm up in the Northwest??? - Jack
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

Thanks to HowardR for the head's up.
Joe Naylor

Yep it happens

Post by Joe Naylor »

Mine was hacked a month or so ago and said I was in London and cleaned it up - it was a yahoo host computer that was hacked and the second time was a dated deal.

Just change passwords and all is well - facebook too

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

I'm in the Pac NW -- and I got one. I'm so glad it was a scam because it would have killed me when Todd came back from Spain thanking everyone for bailing him out, with me the only one who didn't chip in. For what it's worth, Todd, I did respond saying "your credit card company WILL help you." I was thinking, "Crikey! Todd's gotten himself in Dutch with his bookie."
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I got this message from my friend's email a few months back. Knew it wasn't his because it didn't "sound" like him.
b0b

Post by b0b »

They will get better at "sounding like" your friend. Don't rely on that. Call them if you think they could really be in trouble abroad. Odds are, they'll answer the phone at home, or their cell. Few people would think to email all of their acquaintances if they were stranded in a foreign country.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

Yahoo mail has been in the news lately because of its security holes. My IT person at work highly recommended switching to another mail system. He suggested gmail, but there are probably a number of providers out there.