Speakers for Twin

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Cook

Speakers for Twin

Post by David Cook »

Hi, I have 25 year old heavy duty speakers in my old Twin. I think that they are Electrovoice HEAVY magnet speakers that don't sound good anymore. I got these because I played pedal steel exclusively. Now I use the Nashville 400 for pedal steel mostly, and I am wanting some new speakers that I could use for lap steel thru the Twin.

Thanks, David
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

here is what I like to do to cut down weight and get some inexpensive speakers in a Twin:

pull the outside pair of power tubes out (or the inside pair, but aesthetically I like to avoid the gap tooth look)

now you have an 8 ohm output instead of a 4 ohm.

buy 2 Jensen C12 speakers 16ohm each - they make them in 35W which is plenty for your twin with 2 output tubes (total 70W capacity)The 2 speakers will match the 8ohm load.

Now you did not have to shell out for Neo Magnets, you cut the weight by at least 10-15 pounds, and your amp will have some ceramic magnet speakers which sound great for lap steel!
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

I doubt that your EV12L speakers are bad... have you tried another set of speakers yet? Twins need occasional maintenance... I'd make sure it was up to operating spec before I started shelling out for new speakers. New tubes and filter caps is the first place to start... take it to a good tube amp tech. That amp with EV's should be a killer rig when running right.

If weight is your main issue I'd look at a smaller amp... if you put low powered wrong-ohm speakers in your Twin you've basically hobbled it... it will never sound like a Super Reverb anyway, and when you have a 100watt power supply feeding a 50watt amp you open a can of worms that affects sag, harshness, etc... all your HV voltages go up. If you want to go 50watts with the Twin then first set it up right running at 100watts, then pull one final tube from each side (doesn't have to be inside/outside) and clip one speaker free... that way it can easily be taken back to full power.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

I agree with Stephen that, if they are EVM12L's, I doubt if there is anything wrong with them. I use them for guitar all the time. If they are not EVM's, you might want to try Celestion Vintage 30's which is the other speaker I use for regular guitar.
Michael Brebes
Instrument/amp/ pickup repair
MSA D10 Classic/Rickenbacher B6/
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Just know that chasing the "speaker tone" dragon can get to be a pretty expensive habit. Trust me I have tried about a dozen different 12 and 15 inch speakers in my Twin. Do you have a specific sound in mind that will help narrow down the choices or are you looking for lighter weight? Offhand I like the Weber Neo 12s for a Twin - lightweight and great JBL-like tone. I hear good things about the Jensen Neo 12s, too, if you prefer more of a Jensen tone.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

back in the day, we would just pull the outside tubes and disconnect one speaker. did the trick. you could remove one of the EV 12s and reduce the weight a lot!!
those are fine speakers. one would get you a lot of output and maybe some edge on the lap steel sound.
David Cook

Post by David Cook »

Thanks for the replies. I have a unused 12 inch Eminence speaker that has the Fender logo on it that sounds better to me than the older EVM's. I know they are good speakers, maybe they should just be reconed. They are not blown but have a slight "harshness" to them. I will probably pull two tubes and use the 12 inch. By the way , I have a Weber neo 15in 4 ohm that I have hardly used because it broke up too much playing with a band on pedal steel. I didn't like the tone I got from it.

Thanks again
David Cook

Post by David Cook »

Will it harm the Twin in any way to take out two power tubes, run it thru an 8ohm speaker, and play loud at a gig?
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

shouldn't

Fender amps are very robust, and tubes are very forgiving when it comes to impedance/voltage discrepancies
David Cook

Post by David Cook »

Thanks everyone including Tim!!
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

I used a single 15" JBL K130 for 30 years About a year ago a made a new 12" baffle and now have a single 12" Peavey 1203-4 in it. There is more than enough bass and the clarity is unreal. I'm completely ok with a single 12". I might try Tim's suggestion of a weber neo 12.
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

"Harshness" is never a term I have heard associated with a working EVM-12L. They are a very smooth sounding speaker. Verify that it is not the amp that is harsh. If it is definitely the speakers, then there is definitely something wrong with them.
Michael Brebes
Instrument/amp/ pickup repair
MSA D10 Classic/Rickenbacher B6/
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

I might try Tim's suggestion of a weber neo 12.
I wouldn't trust a single 12" Weber Neo in a Twin. I don't think it can handle the power. You need to run two.
By the way , I have a Weber neo 15in 4 ohm that I have hardly used because it broke up too much playing with a band on pedal steel. I didn't like the tone I got from it.
I tried the Weber 15 Neo in my Twin, too, and experienced the same results. It crapped out if I needed to push the Twin in loud situations. On the other hand, I loved the tone. Very much like the original JBL D-130 (not the F type).
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

I originally used a single 12L in my Twin clone, and I liked it, but finally got around to building a 15" baffle, and installed an old SRO, really sounds great!
Image[/img]
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Eminence EPS-15C 15" speaker. Only 7.8 pounds. 300 watts. JBL like sound. You'll drop about 20 pounds off the amp.
Jim Strawser

speakers

Post by Jim Strawser »

TRy some Webers, you will be glad u did and they will recommedn the right ones for you via email. I use them exclusivly!!! :D
"Steel players are like fine wine, we get better with age"
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

Twin Reverbs and JBL D130s go together like bacon and eggs. I've got a '65 with a D130, and it sounds like 'buttah'. A bit weighty, but quite a bit lighter than one with 2-D120s. Pedal steel, Tele, fiddle; they all sound great through this amp. That's a tall order for any amp.
Johnny Thomasson
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I like the Weber California ceramic with paper dust cap. I have a pair in an old Bassman cabinet and they sound great with a Showman head, even without reverb.
Lefty