1957 Fender Stringmaster D8

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Jay Doughty

1957 Fender Stringmaster D8

Post by Jay Doughty »

I bought this directly from Gruhn's 4-5 years ago.

It is definitely in played condition--lots of nicks and dings.

Finish is original. Original case and pickups too. The knobs are not original, which is the way I got it from Gruhns (only they failed to mention that little detail!).

I don't know how to measure the scale, so I included a photo with a tape measure.

Guitar sounds amazing.

One of the legs is kind of messed up--it doesn't hold weight so it will have to be fixed.

Feel free to call me if you want to discuss or get more details 651-334-1721.

$1100.

Thanks for looking.

Tons of pics here:

http://s1043.photobucket.com/albums/b438/Gophertele/
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Scale length on this one is 22.5"

I'd never let a few bar dings bother me. That leg probably needs a new clutch. You can steal one from an old Atlas mic stand. Or send the leg to Jim Palenscar. He can fix it.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

On the messed-up leg, unscrew the clutch all the way and look for the internal parts... there are three clutch pieces and a squish-ring that captures them. When the clutch is unscrewed more than necessary one or more of the clutch pieces will fall down inside the leg tube.

If the pieces are there, put it back together and see if it works... it should. Hold the three clutch pieces around the inside leg, shoved into the outside leg, then put the squish ring on top of them (note the cone inside the ring goes toward the clutch pieces) and drop the big screw piece on top of that and tighten it. Only unscrew it just enough to move the leg and this won't happen again.

BTW, your guitar is a short scale... 22.5". The key is that there's two dots after the 24th fret... there are 3 dots after on the 24.5" guitars and four on the (early only) 26"ers.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I regularly gig with a guitar identical to that one. It's a tone machine and I wouldn't part with it for the money you're asking for yours. Good deal for someone out there in Forumland.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tom Mnich

I'll buy that!

Post by Tom Mnich »

Just spoke to Jay. I'm going to buy this one.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

You'll enjoy it. A different dance from PSG, but a good one.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.