Cab or Rental car

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

James Sission

Cab or Rental car

Post by James Sission »

I found out its much less expensive to fly than to drive out from Texas. I was told there is a shuttle to and from the Hotel and airport. Would you suggest renting a car or taking a cab once I get there. I may want to go to one of the blues bars I have heard of around town is about all I would want to do. Seems like paying 17 bucks a day to park a rental car is a little steep...Anyone have expereince with the cabs there ? Are they resonable ? Thanks..Jmaes
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

I would think getting a cab would be the smart thing to do,it is not far to the blues bars from the hotel.Parking fees would pay for the cab.

Jerry
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Jerry, is getting a cab pretty easy there ?? Also, any info on a good blues joint to visit would be appreciated....James
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

James I believe they are having the Big Muddy Blues Festival Sat Aug 3o an Sun Aug 31.That is on river front not very far from the Hotel.

Jerry
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Thank you..James
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

If you're flying in and traveling light you could take the metro train from the airport to within a couple blocks of most downtown hotels. A few years ago, fare was $1 one way and $3 the other way. Even at double the price it would be a bargain and you'll pass a lot of cabs in the 5 o'clock rush traffic.

"Beatle Bob", a local radio celebrity, splits time between both Scotty's and the blues festival. I belive he told me they are only a brief walk apart.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Yeah, the Blues festival stuff was like a five minute walk as I recall. Unless I've got a lot of stuff or am in a hurry, I'll always use the train to get to and from the airport - it works great, and like Ron says you can't beat the price. The savings from doing that will buy a few cab rides. Cabs are much like anywhere else I've been - certainly I found them reliable and available.
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the information. I have never done any flying where I didnt have a ride watining for me, so I was not to sure about the cab situation. James
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Like Bob said, unless your schlepping major gear (or pack like a girl :wink:), Metrolink is the way to go :!:

Fare is $3.50 from airport to downtown, $2 back out to the airport: see some sights; depending on time of day, smile & wave to people stuck in traffic along I-70

Get off at Stadium station, then walk a couple of blocks around the ballpark to the hotel...stop in at the Interational Bowlng Museum & Hall of Fame if you need a breather :P

I recall it runs every 10-15 mins and will take about 30 mins. or so from Airport to Busch Stadium stop.

http://www.metrostlouis.org/

<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Great information and I appreciate it very much...Thanks....James
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

For some possible live music options close (i.e. walking distance) to the Millennium before the steel pickin' starts in earnest, the Broadway Oyster Bar is about half mile south and a block over from the Millennium; further afield in the Soulard district there are I believe some other blues clubs.

Also looks like the Big Muddy Blues Festival (at Leclede's Landing, walking distance) even has some lap steel happenin', as Sonny Rhodes is a scheduled performer :D

OK, now that the tunes are covered 8), for eats & treats (for most of these you will need wheels…)

Grabs you some St. Louis style 'cue, namely the rib tips from Mama's Coal Pot :mrgreen: almost as good as Wib's Drive-In in Jackson MO, but I digress... :lol:

To soothe the sweet-tooth...

Ted Drewe's

Crown Candy Kitchen

Last but not least, my sentimental favourite - a trip to Scotty’s is never complete w/o scarfing down a “Slinger” at...

Always remember to EAT-RITE or don't EAT at ALL
:D
<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Thank you very much...That is exactly in information I was looking for...James
Chris Allen Burke

Around Town

Post by Chris Allen Burke »

If you can walk around, there are some great clubs and restaurants in D-town, SL. As well as not too far away via CAB. However, the cost of taxi's are going up with the cost of fuel. So that's something that should be considered.

Keeponapicin'
CAB
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Thank you Chris...I appreciate the input...James
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

The Eat-Rite really does have some excellent food!
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

if you only have a suitcase take the metro from the airport, jmh0.
a cab is much cheaper than a rentacar......
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI