I need some opinions

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fuzzy Plant

I need some opinions

Post by Fuzzy Plant »

I have a ShoBud Pro2, and play thru a NV112. I have tried many, many settings on the amp, and I really never am completely satisfied with the sound. I'm sure that's a common situation with many of y'all. I really welcome your help. Who knows? Y'all might just have what I want. Thanks guys!
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Fuzz - Did you previously play thru an amp that you DID ike the sound? Which one?
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Fuzzy, The paramid EQ is critical to getting a good sound out of any Peavey steel amp. Don Sulesky has a Sho-Bud and his sounds good (at least to me).

On my 112, I run the Low at +9, Mid at 800Hz and -2 to -3. High and Presence 0 or possibly +1.

If that doesn't work, consider getting the OPA2134 Op Amp replacement kit and installing them (or I can do it for you). That is a good upgrade for many.

We can talk about it at the next club meeting.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Fuzzy there's only so much mid-range honk you can dial out of a NV112. It's the nature of the EQ. If you're looking for that typical Sho~Bud sound, it's better achieved using an older Session 400 or a Fender Twin. That's been my experience.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Fuzzy Plant

Post by Fuzzy Plant »

Bud; prior to the 112, I was using an Ampeg w/15" speaker. I never was satisfied with that sound, although it had a pronounced deep bass. Sometimes that is good and sometimes it's no good at all.That's why I bought the 112.

Jack, I hope to see you at the meeting on the 12th. I would rather speak to you face to face on this.

Fuzzy
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

I had the same problem, playing an Emmons P/P. I sold the amp.
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

fuzzy, i've been satisfied with my tone 3 times in the last 40 years.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Fuzzy, for what it's worth here is the setting I use on my 112:
Pre gain controls the volume I run it anywhere between 2 and 4

Low +6, mid 0 (off), Shift a bit under 800, High -5,
Pres: -8, Reverb 4, Master Gain 8 to 8.5
Set the Master gain very high and use the Pre gain to control the actual volume
I have found that this works with a variety of pickups.

I got this setting from pro. He's happy with it, so am I.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Bent, If the Mid is at "0" then the Paramid is not doing anything and you can put the frequency anywhere you like and it will not change anything.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

You've got good advice so far - The NV 112 is a good amp. Maybe try having someone else twirl the knobs while you are playing it. It does have it's limitations and it's not a supersonic tube amp, but it's a good amp. Give it time. If you've been playing a 15 speaker that will take some getting used to also.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Maybe add a 15' cabinet to the 112(may require some tinkering)
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Greg Cutshaws NV 112 settings
Peavey Nashville 112 Settings (Numbered positions)

Pre Gain = 3
Low = +4
Mid = -15
Shift = 800
High = +4.5
Presence +6
Master Reverb = Off
Master Gain = 6

He Lives Within(this is played through a NV 112 with Gregs settings)Go to his website to hear the audio.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Licks/Licks.html
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Fuzzy,

Get rid of the solid state amp. Most likely the tone you look for is in a specific tube amp. I found what I was looking for in the "Little Walter" amp.

PF
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Well there you have it. Money's no object right?
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know the next extra 2-3 grand I get I'll spend on a Lil' Walter :lol: :lol: (kiddin' Paul)

Tommy W. recommends Fender's Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp.Or I think that was a thread posted some time back.
Fuzzy Plant

Post by Fuzzy Plant »

Thanks guys for your input. I've tried the few setups y'all sent, and then went back to around the previous tuning, and mine was closer to what I was trying to find. I think I'm wanting something far more advanced than is possible with the 112 and the ShoBud.
My setings were: Pro gain 4, Low +15, Mid -3.5, Shift 850, High +3, Presence +9, Reverb 3, Master Gain 2.5
Thats probably the best settings for my ancient (80 yrs)ears. I do have hearing malfunction; lost a lot of high EQs. This is one reason I'm not doing much recording lately. Again, thanks guys. You've been a great help, as always.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

If you can get ahold or borrow one, try the black box or a freeloader. Might be the ticket.
Bobby Bowman

Amp?

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Fuzzy,
I think it involves more than just the amp.
First,,,consider your right hand position in relation to the pick up,,,,try moving your right hand a little farther to the left (away from the pick up). Do this in segments of about an inch at a time and listen for the difference in tones and character. Maybe a total distance of 4 to 5 inches or whatever suits you.
Other things to consider might be the angle of your picks when stricking (exciting) the string or strings.
Even the kind of picks you use and how you place them on your fingers will have an effect to some degree. Also the amount of attact pressure, or the lack there of, has its' own effect.
Next,,,give some consideration to your left hand. Things such as bar pressure, even the kind of bar you use, what you do with your fingers and palm behind the bar. Experiment with different ways of controling the bar.
Another thing that might come into play is pick up height adjustment under the strings. There are usually three or four height adjustment screws. Tinker with that a little and see if you find a better, "sweeter", height adjustment to you ears.
There are also other things to give attention to,,, such as,,,cords, volume pedal (try playing direct into the amp and see (hear) if there is any difference in tone and such. Check the wiring and soldering joints and plugs on the guitar and volume pedal.
These are just some of the things to consider overall. There's probably more and other things that could apply and I just can't think of them right now.
Good luck and I hope you find just exactly what you are looking and hearing for.
BB :D
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com