Carter Steel Guitars - you like 'em?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Buddy Emmons wrote:I have two Legrande lll models, one of which I used on Gene Watson's last album. Just for the record, I used a Carter D-10 on Gene's Gospel album and for all practical purposes, I can't tell a dime's worth of difference, but what do I know?
Michael, if he can't tell the difference, it probably means you shouldn't worry about it. :wink:
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

I played on a session yesterday and used my carter. It really sounded great.
<i>My playing sounds more like it did before than it does now</i>
Anthony Minstein

Post by Anthony Minstein »

My Carter S10....like the sound, the ability to carry (I need a roadie to help schlep my MSA U12) and the all-around playability.

Anthony

Carter S10 Professional
JazzKat Solid State Amp
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Clete Ritta wrote:
Dustin Rigsby wrote:...The first steel guitar I owned was a carter starter...
Me too, but unlike you, I was quite fond of mine because it was my first. It stayed in tune, sounded good and had the basic Emmons changes to learn. For a year, I didnt know what I was missing. It served its purpose very well to me. YMMV.

Even with its shortcomings (due largely to its less expensive design), it was not mass production that made it inferior to pro level steels IMO, but merely the cheaper parts it was made of, and its inflexible copedent. It is still a very affordable beginners instrument. Im glad I had the opportunity to start on a very inexpensive used Starter model. I was instantaneously and thoroughly hooked on pedal steel from the day I got it. There are many threads here, pro and con on the Starter, so I will just leave my positive note here on that.

I wasn't deriding it as something cheap...I just wasn't fond of it. I had it for about a year as well. I knew right away what I was missing because my teacher, Gary Preston, started to spoil me by letting me play his Sho-Bud pro II... :lol: It was and is probably the best student guitar for the money. Plus it still holds its value at 500.00 to this day, which is what I paid for it 8 or so years ago...man if I had only known then what kind of $$$ I would be dumping into steel guitars,amps,and efx to try and steel Lloyd and Buddy's tone.... :eek: :lol:

Edited to add: It is only money right.....besides I learned the most important lesson of all....JUST BE YOURSELF !
D.S. Rigsby
Gary Preston

'' uhhh''

Post by Gary Preston »

:\ Not to rain on anyones parade but ! I think the Carter sounds ok and plays ok but the quality is the main problem i have . When i saw the under side of them i was quite '' unimpressed '' ! To me it looked like someone hung some '' coat hangers '' for changer rods ! The pro model seemed to stay in tune very well but i thought the quality i was use to playing and looking at wasn't there ! Most folks on here know i have been a Sho~Bud freak for many years and also an Emmons LeGrande lll ,so i look for the quality thats in these guitars and judge the rest by them ! Not meaning to start a '' range war ''but you asked for opinions ! Have a nice day .
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

This chap is not too sure.

pick here

Arch.
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

I am on my third Carter and they were all very very good. ALWAYS returns to pitch, records well, firm and accurate halfstop that is easy to operate, rich tone, exceptional sustain, easy to haul around...
One of my three was a pre-BCT model and i can honestly say it sounded every bit as good as the other two.
As for the quality i have never had a problem. But then i care more about the function than the looks of the undercarriage. :)
My "other" axe is a SKH Emmons legrande and while it's an awesome steel in every way i must say that the Carter is getting the most playing time.
Bud knows what he's doing!
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Mike Perlowin wrote:The reason some people look down on Carter is that they were not made by hand, one at a time. Instead they had the parts pre-manufactured, so they could assemble the guitars quickly and less expensively than some of the other builders.
I don't know of any builder that does that...not even Noel Anstead :?: Efficient manufacturing, even if it's just one guy, dictates that while a machine is running, you're off assembling a changer, or doing something else. Or, while the cabinet's drying, you're loading small parts into the tumbler and polishing a pedalboard. When machines make the parts (as opposed to the old by-hand "file, hacksaw and pistol drill" method) the parts are about as identical as they can get, so if you make 10 pullers on a manual Bridgeport, or a jobber makes 2,000 on a CNC Fadal, the only difference is time and money...the parts are the same. Most of the difference with mass producers is that they have a lot of semi-skilled people doing simple, repetitive tasks, while only a few might have all the skills necessary to make and assemble a guitar.

Pedal steels will never be popular enough to be assembled on robotic assembly lines, which are economical only for products produced in the tens-to-hundreds of thousands. So rest assured that any pedal steel you might buy is truly "hand built", even if the parts aren't. :mrgreen:
Gus York

carter guitars

Post by Gus York »

Thought I'd chip in on this one as I have owned a Carter S10 pro for the last 4yrs.For me any PSG Bud Carter has been involved in is spot on! Like my 70's MSA legend and my late 80's MCI RangeXpander! All my previous older guitars continually broke the 3rd string with relentless monotony, and forever needed tuning! So much so you'd almost need a weather forecast to know what troubles were ahead!!! BUT when the MSA came along the experience was life changing, as was the MCI and now the Carter! What I can't quite understand was that all three of the guitars mentioned sported totally different pick-ups and were played through different amps at different times and yet I was easily able to get MY personal sound with all of them? gotta somewhat be down to Bud- my hero!
PS I noticed the picture of the Blue S10 Carter posted earlier (same as mine)-
Never seen pedals in that central position before? and no volume pedal? Are both feet used on the pedals as on C6th ? Curious in the UK!
Nice ZUM 12 D9 2 Roland Cubes,+ various effects and bits.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I owned a couple of Carters, a D10 and an SD10. Both were BCT. The D10 was incredible and the SD10 was a dud. I guess that's the way it goes with most brands that produce in substantial quantities. All in all I'd buy one again, though. I like the brand. As has been already implied here, however, the company itself was a tangle to deal with. Because my steels weren't bought new from them, they made it clear that they could/would not help me. That was a downside for me, because so many of the other brands have EXCELLENT customer service. I guess it's a moot point now anyway.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Chris....I totally understand your point of the company not being interested in helping you because you didn't buy it new. My universal (which I love) was also used when I got it. As you know there were three people that worked there, it was only one person I had problems with..I think we all know who that was. Anyway it's a shame Carter's are no longer going. If I had the money I'd buy an ETS if they did a universal of course. Anything Bud Carter builds is great. Perhaps the "DUD" guitar you had is the same with most guitars. I've been to shops where they had identical models of various brands,same pick/up etc....but no two sounded the same. :? :?

Micky Byrne U.K.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I am on my 3rd Carter D10 Steel, it's everything I could want , need or desire ! 9+8..PF Pedal on the zero position...it's a 2004..it's quite the Instrument.

Above it is mentioned that Carters are not made 100% by hand, components were send out to a machine shop. TRUE..as it is for perhaps ALL manufacturers.

The primary difference between Carters( John and Bud philosophy ) and other builders was the amount of parts ordered for inventory. John ordered enough parts for inventory so that there was not a long delay in delivery. I am thinking his average delivery time( non custom body) was in the 30 to 45 day range.

Quality instrument, should last a long time !
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Tony, that's right...for us over here in U.K. it was 30 days and your guitar was guaranteed and be ready to be shipped to you. Why wait a couple of years with other brands? :? If I want something I want it "NOW" I'm impatient. If you remember the clip from their first website, John said if they had a real emergency and a player came in at 9am in the morning,they'd have his steel ready for him by 4pm. I'm sure that with two on the job of assembly they really "could" do that...with all the parts there.

Micky Byrne U.K.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I bought a 94 Carter 8/8 that didn't have BCT and in spite of it being beat up it played very well and sounded great once I got the p-ups in it I wanted. I went to a 2002 model 7 years ago and still have it. I put BL-710's in it and the thing honks and I get lots of compliments of the tone of it. I played a 2004 Zum the other day that was for sale at $4100. I played the Zum for about 10-15 minutes and it didn't play any better or sound as good as my Carter. It had the BL-XR-16's which is pretty close to the 710's but a little more mellow in tone. I like it too have a good bite and be clear and the BL-710's work for me. It's the same p-up Paul Franklin puts in his guitars too. I still like this guitar as much as I did the day I got it and that's good enough for me.
David Friedlander

Post by David Friedlander »

Hey guys- can you bring me up to speed on Carter...
Are they still in business?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Nope. John Fabian passed away and the company folded. Al Brisco at Steel Guitars Canada, bought all the inventory and has had whole guitars as well as replacement parts for sale.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.