Gretsch squareneck resonator guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tommy Wallace

Gretsch squareneck resonator guitar

Post by Tommy Wallace »

Has anyone played the two squareneck wood resonators that Gretsch is now producing? If so what is your opinion of them. I realize that they are entry level , but curious how they stack up against other entry level resonators.
Michael Kienhofer

Post by Michael Kienhofer »

I,m with you Tom,Like to know how the nashville pickup sounds in this one as well
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

I bought one recently to use as a "loud gig beater".
I was really surprised how well it plays and sounds for the price. Even acoustically.
The pick up works really well and the set up of the pup is great. Even volume across the board. With the JD aura pedal it`s the best live tone in a loud situation I`ve ever achieved. Played a gig in a 700 capacity club with 2 electrics, two keys, drums, bass, two acoustics etc and had no problems getting heard or getting good monitor levels. Unbelievable , really. No howls or squeals at all
Really good value for the money, considering that the pup costs almost 200$ separately....
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Tommy Wallace

Post by Tommy Wallace »

Olli, I appreciate your response and input. Very positive review. Thanks again.
Jouni Karvonen

Post by Jouni Karvonen »

Just finished my first (two) acostic gigs with the one month old "boxcar", and it did cut through, according to the audience,and easily could volumewise outplay a top of the line banjo. So I´m pretty happy whith that El Cheepo. + The original rosewood strapbutton had to be replaced, lousy design and did pop out.
Rick Langdon

Post by Rick Langdon »

I've owned a Gretsch G9230 Squareneck Bobtail for a few months now. I had never owned a Resophonic before (although I played a little back in my Bluegrass days when we switched up instruments here and there to impress the crowd :) )...

Anyway, so I'm no expert regarding high quality instruments of this type, but I am very happy with my Gretsch. It sounds good acoustically (maybe not quite as loud as some of the more top line types). Plugged in, it sounds great. The pickup is nice and seems to be installed well. Plugged in this thing sounds way more expensive than it actually was. I think it is a good value myself. As someone already said, the pickup alone is worth ~200 ...
-- Rick

Featured demo (played on Appalachian Reso): https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon/als-workshop

-- Play on!!
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Rick: Are you using the Jerry Douglas Aura pedal, &/or something else, like a pre-amp/DI box? Are you playing through the PA, or an acoustic amp, or ? I'd really like to know what works, and I'm fairly sure it takes more than just a reasonably good resonator with a great pickup.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

We had an earlier thread on these here, and a fairly extensive thread on Reso-nation.org a few weeks ago (that's when Olli took the plunge and ordered one).

I played both guitars, the acoustic only model and the one with the Fishman Nashville pickup side-by-side recently, haven't made the purchase yet, still on the fence. Below is what I wrote on Reso-Nation:

I went to a local music store and played both models yesterday, which I believe are essentially same thing except for a different finish, and one is acoustic only while the other has the Fishman Nashville pickup. I took them into one of the store's private teaching rooms so I wouldn't have to battle the metalhead kid in the electric guitar department.

Not bad sounding acoustically, and for $359 without the pickup maybe a little better than others in that price range but there are a number of brands I have yet to play so I don't know for sure. The bass was just okay. Aside from the laminate wood, you can tell from the metal parts where the money is being saved, though they do have Grover Sta-Tite tuners which are pretty decent for a guitar in this price range. The materials for the coverplate and tail piece looked pretty cheesy.

The acoustic only one sounded a tad better than the Fishman-equipped number. Couldn't tell exactly, the bridge-cap material appeared to made of ebony. When people here write about how the Fishman changes the sound of a guitar, now I know more about what they mean because when you have essentially two of the same guitar side-by-side and you go back and forth, you notice the difference. The one with the Fishman sounded slightly "thinner" acoustically, with a perceived slight drop in volume. It seemed like I had to work it a little harder to get the best tone and volume out of it. Of course if I were sitting there with a blindfold on and was listening to a good dobroist switching back and forth between the two I might get confused as to which was which. But with my eyes open and playing them both myself, I slightly preferred the acoustic only model.

Either one is a respectable level starter instrument, campfire or beater reso. No "Frugalhorns" (Wechter/Scheerhorn) or Goldtone Beards at this store, but I can tell you from memory that the Gretsch isn't in the same league as either of those in their lowest priced forms. Goldtones and Frugalhorns kick the Gretsch's butt. More volume, bass, greater sustain. There's no free lunch in this world folks. I was just looking it up, and the cheapest price new right now on a Goldtone is $704, and the lowest price Frugalhorn goes for $750, neither having a pickup included. So they should kick the butt of the Gretsch. There's a number of Asian-builts in the under $400 range (acoustic only) that are probably in about the same ballpark. I do think the Gretsch sounds better than some of the Regals I've played in that price range. I've never cared for the sound of the lowest end off-the-shelf Regals. You could probably get the acoustic sound of the Gretsch closer to the Goldtone and Frugalhorn by upgrading to a world class cone and some setup work, but by the time you're finished with all that you'd be getting up close toward the price of those guitars, so you might as well just start with the better guitars, plus they look a lot better with things like real bindings and a gloss finish.

Now for the plugged-in part, which is the reason Olli of course bought one. They didn't have a Fishman Aura Jerry Douglas pedal at the store, and I know that makes all the difference. I plugged it into a Roland 60 watts acoustic amp (didn't use a preamp), and pressed down the button on top for "piezo pickup" so that it wouldn't be too "quacky." it sounded pretty respectable plugged in with just the pickup, and in a fairly loud mixed band situation where great resonator tone isn't a huge consideration, I would think it will do a reasonably good job. Once again, I'd like to hear it with the JD pedal, i think that would add a lot. It was fun to play though - since the only plugged-in reso playing (aside from trying a couple higher end Beards with the Aura setup) I've done in the past is with the Fishman donut pickup, and that thing is an insult to the sound of my Clinesmith.

It appears that the Gretsch people did a good job in the Fishman Nashville pickup installation, which seems to be half the battle with the thing. It sounded pretty even across all six stings, and as Kent Schoonover writes on his website, getting excellent contact between the spider and the the pickup is very important.

I'm still going back-and-forth between getting the Schoonover modular spider wiht Fishman Nashville for my Clinesmith or doing something like getting one of these Grestsch resos. Maybe I need to hear the thing with the Fishman Aura JD pedal, that might help with the final decision. But it would have to be another sales job on the Missus, because the $500 Gretsch + JD pedal will still put you out $800 or more.
Mark
Tommy Wallace

Post by Tommy Wallace »

Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.
Rick Langdon

Post by Rick Langdon »

Paul Sutherland wrote:Rick: Are you using the Jerry Douglas Aura pedal, &/or something else, like a pre-amp/DI box? Are you playing through the PA, or an acoustic amp, or ? I'd really like to know what works, and I'm fairly sure it takes more than just a reasonably good resonator with a great pickup.
Well I don't have the JD Aura Pedal ... I have tried it direct to my Fishman Loudbox and thru my pedal board into a DRRI (a little compression and delay) ... both sound very respectable to me ... I'm sure it would only sound better with something like the JD Aura ...
-- Rick

Featured demo (played on Appalachian Reso): https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon/als-workshop

-- Play on!!
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

If you've never watched the video linked below it's worth checking out. Jimmy Heffernan playing at Paul Beard's shop in Maryland his newly equipped Fishman Nashville Beard MAS in 2008 when the pickup and JD Aura pedal first hit the market. Mike Auldridge has a video as well doing a similar thing. Though the pickup sounds decent on its own, I think it's night and day when the Aura microphone "images"' are brought into play.

It's $290 currently for the JD pedal, but I think it's money well-spent if you're going to go plugged in. Obviously the "raw materials" here being the guitars are also like night and day compared to a $359 acoustic only Gretsch, but the Beard MAS sells new for over 10 times the price for around if memory serves, $3750.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15iC4-_yGs
Mark
Tommy Wallace

Post by Tommy Wallace »

Just wanetd to say thanks for all the help,but I found a used Gold Tone Paul Beard squareneck and bought it. Thanks again
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Nice move Tommy.

The Gretsch guitar as I wrote earlier isn't bad for the money, but it's not in the same league as a Gold Tone Beard, that's for sure.

I really think the best potential for the Gretsch is in the acoustic/electric version with the Fishman Nashville pickup for plugged in playing.
Mark
Michael Shipman

Post by Michael Shipman »

Just wanted to add my thanks for the contributions here too. I am also looking to upgrade to an intermediate squareneck (ie Gold Tone / Wechter - Scheerhorn). Only problem is that here in the UK they are hard to come by and when you do they are darned expensive in relation to US prices.
I saw the new Gretches and was toying with the idea of one (as they are available and in my price bracket) but with your views confirming what I thought was the right thing to do, I will hold on for a 2nd hand Gold Tone / W-S that will (eventiually I am sure!?) come up for sale over this side of the pond.
Thanks again, Mike.
Regards, Mike Shipman.
New Forest, Hampshire UK.
Dave Rodgers

Post by Dave Rodgers »

Michael Shipman wrote: Only problem is that here in the UK they are hard to come by and when you do they are darned expensive in relation to US prices.
Thanks again, Mike.
Prices certainly are better in the States compared to UK Mike. Mostly that's down to the added expense of shipping and import duty and VAT over here.

If you were to find what you wanted in the US market place for say $400 (thats about £250 right now ) add £100 postage (you may have to pay much more than that in reality right now ) and then and add import duty and VAT it comes in at around £425.

If you're at the Cornish Bluegrass festival next month you're welcome to try out the Wechter i have for sale..it's still around at the moment.
Michael Shipman

Hi Dave - thanks for the update that yours is still available. Yours is certainly a nice looking instrument and I recall Brad (mod here) saying they were very good for the money.
There have been a few "possibilities" since I exchanged the e-mail enquiry about your guitar, one was a very nice Gold Tone with some very tasty additions (Allen tailpiece / chrysanthemem (?) coverplate / Beard screenless rings) but the seller decided to withdraw it for sale a few days before I was due to go up to Birmingham to view it. I am waiting on confirmation of prices of a Gold Tone and W/S Rob Ickes at the moment.
If they dont work out I might just be back in touch with you!.
Not sure if I can get to Cornish Bluegrass fest as its a bit of a trek and I have family / work commitments to fit in too...but who knows!
Cheers, Mike.
Regards, Mike Shipman.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I've played the Gretsch Bobtail squareneck acoustic/electric at Guitar Showcase in Campbell, CA and would have no problem recommending it as an alternative to the Regal/Recording King/other resonator guitars in that same price range. It sounds fine unplugged and the pickup works well.

I have not done a side by side comparison to my Wechter Scheerhorn, but the ability to purchase a decent sounding resonator guitar with pickup for that price is a sign that Gretsch is serious about making a dent in the resonator guitar market.

If I didn't have too many guitars already, I'd consider getting one of these myself.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

I played a Gretsch suareneck yesterday at a local area music store, which also sells Regal, Fender and recording King resos. It has a good balanced sound, plus the cover plate has the 'higher' hand rest on it which makes it much easier to play, and also allows for a higher bridge and more down bearing. The two and three finger rolls are much easier for me with the higher hand rest.

Thanx,
Jim
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

The local GC has one, I'm driving over to try it out tomorrow :) I have a Frugalhorn but it doesn't have a pick up system. I don't think I want to spend the money it'll take to install a fishman with the JD aura pedal in it. I'm wondering if you guys think just picking up the Gretsch with the Nashville Fishman is a good idea. I mic my resonator, now.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Michael Shipman

Hi Rick - by "Frugalhorn" are you referring to the cheaper Wechter Sheerhorn?. I might be looking at one of those in the UK if my Gold Tone search comes to nothing. What do you think of them?
Regards, Mike Shipman.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Yes, Frugalhorn refers to the Wechter Scheerhorn resonator. I absolutely love it, it has the tone I like, but it doesn't have electronics and I have to mic it. If you have a chance to get one, by all means...do it. I thought about sending it to Beard and having them install their pick up system, including a Jerry Douglas Aura pedal, but that kinda takes the frugal out of the horn. :lol: I had a email conversation a while back with Howard Parker, of Beard. He said the Wechter Scheerhorn is a perfect candidate for the upgrade.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Well, I tried the Gretsch G9230, the one with the Fishman Nashville pick up, this afternoon. I loved it. Truthfully, I couldn't tell the difference between it and my Wechter. $499 seems to be the goin' price.
Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 3 Mar 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Langdon

Post by Rick Langdon »

Rick Barnhart wrote:Well, I tried the Gretsch G9230, the one with the Fishman Nashville pick up, this afternoon. I loved it. Truthfully, I couldn't tell the difference between it and my Wechter. $499 seems to be the goin' price. I found a nice surprise at Warp Drive Music on eBay for $424 free shipping. Order placed, can't wait. :D
I've had my G9230 for about 3 months now ... I have been enjoying it very much ... of course, I am a beginner as far as lap steels/dobros go ... but it certainly seems to be a good value for the price and the pickup is great ... hope you enjoy yours ...
-- Rick

-- Play on!!
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Now all I need is a case. Any ideas? This is a pretty good little resonator. I like it.
Rick Langdon

Post by Rick Langdon »

Rick Barnhart wrote:Now all I need is a case. Any ideas? This is a pretty good little resonator. I like it.
I had an old Roadrunner gig bag so I am using it ... it is very well padded and larger than the squareneck but it works ...
-- Rick

-- Play on!!