Best Little Whorehouse In Texas Original Broadway Cast....

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robbie Bossert

Best Little Whorehouse In Texas Original Broadway Cast....

Post by Robbie Bossert »

I know that I'm probably late to the party here guys, but I recently picked this disc up and the steel player is just great! Of course, he didn't get a credit so does anyone know who it is?

Robbie
Emmons LeGrande III Pedal Steel. '54 Gibson lap steel, Peavey Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Telecaster,Banjo, Peavey Power slide Lap Steels ,Effects, and other assorted crap.....
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

I believe that was Lynn Frasier of Austin,Texas. He came to New York City with the show and lived in Englewood,NJ for a few years. A great player and fun to hang with! JS
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Thanks John.....I'll look him up...

Robbie
Emmons LeGrande III Pedal Steel. '54 Gibson lap steel, Peavey Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Telecaster,Banjo, Peavey Power slide Lap Steels ,Effects, and other assorted crap.....
Ed Kelly

Best Little

Post by Ed Kelly »

try Josh Dubin, I know he was the original with Ernie Reed on fiddle.
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

I also think it was Lynn Frazier on that recording. Monster picker as you can hear from all the great ideas he has and executes.

Joe
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

my record says the rio grande band w/lynn frazier..

i learned the show from this record and pretended to follow the charts at the music circus in sac a couple of times.
Ed Iarusso

Post by Ed Iarusso »

I have a recording (album) of the Rio Grand Band with Doug Jernigan as the steeler.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ed.. i have that album too! some great stuff...kinda obscure album, i think.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Same Rio Grande Band?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

As I understand it Doug played on the Rio Grand Band's album, then they were picked to back the "Best Little Whorehouse" production. Doug didn't want to go to NYC,so Lynn took the steel seat..Josh Dubin was an alternate to Lynn and so was Harvey Shapiro..All excellent players...JS
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Thanks John.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Thanks for the info guys. Now, where can I find the original score for that show?

Robbie
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I did the show here in Austin back in 1985, and the score is written out for the steel. You'd be surprised at how complicated a relatively simple, almost cliche'd steel run looks in standard notation! :lol:

Lynn Frazier, whom I've known for 4 decades, is a monstrous player and he literally "wrote the book" for the show. Other notable players who've done long runs of the show are Neil Flanz and Jim Loessberg.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Josh was Lynn's understudy,Got, me and my mom Ticket's Mom had adopted Josh as one of her own for a short while!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Josh was Lynn's understudy,Got, me and my mom Ticket's Mom had adopted Josh as one of her own for a short while!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Are there charts availabe anywhere?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I did this show when it came to London's West End (at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane) in 1981. The production team from NY came over to rehearse and mount the show and we had the two Broadway 'leads' (Carlynn Glynn and Henderson Forsythe) for our six-month run.

Lynn's steel parts were - and still remain - an enormous challenge!!! I still love to play the show, though - there are some pretty good tunes in it.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Hi Roger,
I've been listening to the cast recording for days in a row now and Lynn's playing is just amazing. Again, I don't know how I've missed it for all these years. I never was a big fan of the movie and maybe I thought that they were one in the same. I'm glad to have discovered it. It really is one of my fave steel sets ever.

Robbie
Franklin Lehlbach

Post by Franklin Lehlbach »

Lynn Frazier rocks!!
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

I did this show at the Phoenix Theatre about 5 or 6 years ago for a run that lasted 3 months. I loved doing it!! Ben Brogdon played bass in the Broadway version in NY.

Billy Easton
Billy & Meriul Easton
Nashville, TN