Hank Tompson album

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johan Jansen

Hank Tompson album

Post by Johan Jansen »

Hi every-one.
I'm doing sessions these days for a Dutch group that cuts an album with Hank Thompson songs, it this style too!
As I'm a player with another approach, it's very hard to get into the stuff. Who was his player on the albums, what copedant did he use, and what gear?
Please help me out.. Image
Johan
Hap Young

Post by Hap Young »

Johan
I believe Pee Wee Whitewing Played with Hank for a while. I dont know his chopedent.
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Bobby Garrett played with Hank on all of the live albums in the early 60's. I know that he was playing that D-10 shobud for some of that time. Some great music in those albums.

Rick Garrett
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Problem is, Hank T. has had many different steel players, including Chalker, Garrett, Whitewing, Rivera, etc, etc., all with different setups (some nonpedal, some pedal) and different equipment, especially as his career has spanned several decades. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 17 September 2002 at 04:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmie Brown

Post by Jimmie Brown »

Johan, Pee Wee did a lot of recording with hank in the early years.I talked with him a couple of years ago and he said he did most of it in the early fifties,Hope that helps

Jimmie
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Johan,
There is a simple signature lick for the Hank Thompson stuff. His first steel player(who I can't remember his name) played it and it works its way into quite a bit of the steel work. Sorta like that Tubb guitar riff.

It would be a good idea to buy your daughter the Bear Family box set of the Thompson stuff Image

Sombody out there know that lick and what tune it is on ?

Bob

BTW: I'm really enjoying your CD ! It is a real honor to be a small part of it. Thanks.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Bob White played a lot of Hanks big records.He and Pee Wee Whitewing both played for a time.Both are my favorites.Chalker wasn't bad either. Image So many greats.Anyone remember Hanks cut of John Henry and Red Skin Gal? Killer stuff. ----bb <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 17 September 2002 at 09:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

<SMALL>There is a simple signature lick for the Hank Thompson stuff. His first steel player(who I can't remember his name) played it and it works its way into quite a bit of the steel work. Sorta like that Tubb guitar riff.</SMALL>
check out this thread:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/002892.html

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Johan, for the signiture HT sounds and licks, you have to forget the typical E9 style. With a standard pedal steel set up, you'll find those sounds easiest on the C6. The "must" is the harmonic chord slide/volume pedal swell lick, ( Lefty Nason was the guy behind this ), which is usually used at the end of a verse. An important pedal sound is the major 7th change ( seventh pedal on a standard set up D10 ). All in all a major 7th sound and chord is very prominent in Hank's music, and you gotta remember, that many of his biggest hits were played on a non pedal steel. Bob White was the first to use pedals ( a Bigbsy ) with Hank, but it was Bobby Garrett ( D10 Sho Bud ), who really made it sound like a pedal steel. Funny, I've been listening to the box set for few days in a row now; there's some great and innovative steel work there! Curley's solo on "Stirring Up The Ashes" is a mindblower!
Jussi
John Young

Post by John Young »

theres a steel player in richardson tx herb davis fills in for hank doesnt have computer but heres his phone 972-690-4522 i do know he playes most of hanks tunes on c6