Reverb preference

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Murdoch

Reverb preference

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Do You prefer a digital reverb or a spring reverb when using a multi type stand alone unit?
Billy
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm using the "spring reverb" in my POD X3.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I like the Boss RV-5 and the Hall Of Fame reverb a lot. The reverb on all my amps sucks except the original Fender Princeton Reverb spring reverb which is excellent. There's a ton of really nice reverbs available now and I haven't tried a 10th of them so it's hard for me to say what's best!

Greg
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Sorry, I never found any 'box' that gives me a clean, real sounding reverb. The first and best amp to give me that reverb was the Sho Bud/ tube amp by Evans, then the Sho-Bud solid state by Kennenth Cain,now the best is the Session 500 (which is why I bought it in the first place).

Thanx,
Jim
Adam Sorber

Post by Adam Sorber »

I use the Holy Grail nanoverb.
Adam Sorber
Sho Bud PROII custom D-10
Sho Bud PROII custom SD-10
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Folks, in general, if you have an amp with a real spring tank in it and aren't getting the sound you like there are several options for replacing the tank. For one thing, there are little rubber dampers inside there that determine the option for short, medium, and long decay... when these wear out then you have a super-boingy ultra-long decay tank. During replacement you have the option to go with the aforementioned short,med, or long... the number printed on the tank will tell you what it was supposed to be from the factory.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/main/? ... 01_02.html

These folks run an eBay store too... each tank is made-to-order, so having the correct number is important.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

It really depends on the setting and the music being played, certainly the word "reverb" covers a lot of territory. There are a number of facets that make up the nature of a given effect, from pre-delay to early reflections to attack intensity to tail density to high- and low-frequency damping to stop slope and much, much more. The finest digital units provide for accurate control of many such characteristics, the cheaper ones offer less control (more simplicity some might say) and most spring tank reverbs, as well as some stompboxes, offer no control at all.

Although I have at one time or another used a number of fine digital effects processors, most of the time I record and perform with the pedal steel guitar using the long-decay Accutronics spring tanks installed my amps. It sounds "right" for most everything I do and I don't have to cart around a rack full of toys. The long-decay tank provides about 50ms of pre-delay and around 3 seconds of fairly smooth reverb tail; the Randall amp provides some EQ on the reverb send in addition to the usual level control, but there are otherwise no adjustable parameters to this sort of device.

There are times when a piece of music calls for something more detailed and carefully crafted, and for these effects a good digital unit with full parameter access - Lexicon's PCM70 and above, Klark-Teknik's DN780, several units from Eventide and a few of TC Electronics' high-end products - will deliver sparkling clarity and natural ambiance that the cheaper units simply cannot match, plus the ability to sculpt the effect to perfectly complement the rest of the mix, which is maybe no big deal to a player on stage but is the very essence of fine audio engineering.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I agree with Greg on the RV-5 as I keep going back to it for a pedal. However, the plate reverb in my GP-100 is sweet and so is the delay but using a stomp pedal is convienient.

Lenny
Jeff Valentine

Post by Jeff Valentine »

Yes, I agree with Dave. It all depends on the song. It also depends on what kind of equipment you have. Cheap equipment usually falls short on the spring or hall reverbs. Sometimes it's better to use some delay and cut the reverb out all together. I guess it also depends on the player and what they like. Sometimes the amp reverb is the way to go. With Guitar Center's 30 Day return policy you can afford to try some things out!
Ray McCarthy

Post by Ray McCarthy »

Is it my immagination or does reverb take something away from the original tone to create the reverb effect. Sometimes I use delay only and it seems I have a fuller tone.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Reverb doesn't take anything away from the original tone, it adds some richness to it.
George Macdonald

Reverb

Post by George Macdonald »

I used to think that the built in Fender reverbs in tube amps of many years ago were the best. After switching to Peavey amps 35 years ago I was always dissapointed in the amp reverbs. About 10 years ago I went to digital reverb pedals starting with the Boss RV-3, Boss RV-5, Hardwire RV-7, and currently a "Wet" reverb by Neunaber Technology. It's a matter of what flavor you find your ear likes the best. They all do the job better than most amp spring reverbs. My amps now are class D MB200s which don't have onboard reverb.
Philip Mitrakos

Post by Philip Mitrakos »

Im real happy with the RV-7 ...BUT...you need to use both inputs and both outputs...and forget about using a battery ...it only lasts about four hours...needs solid electricty.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Ray said:
Is it my immagination or does reverb take something away from the original tone to create the reverb effect. Sometimes I use delay only and it seems I have a fuller tone.
None of these time-delay effects - which is what reverb, chorusing and delay all are - take anything away from the original signal. They all take a copy of the original signal and play it back slightly delayed and on top of the original, in the case of reverb there are many delays very close together and how close together and at what levels is what gives a particular reverb effect its "sound." In the case of straight delay or "echo" the illusion of a large space is still created but there is a great deal less delayed program to cover up the original than with a reverb effect, no doubt this is the difference you are hearing.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I like using digital plate and hall reverbs. The digital spring reverbs that I have tried don't sound very good to my ears.
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Yeah....me neither.
Steve Humes

Post by Steve Humes »

Boss FRV-1
Ken Jameson

Post by Ken Jameson »

i like the danelctro spring king reverb unit.
Mike Archer

holy grail

Post by Mike Archer »

I use the plate setting on my holy grail reverb pedal its realy nice I dont care much for the name though.....surely they could have picked a better
name for the pedal.....
Emmons SKH legrande/ Nash 400 amps
Tele and deluxe amp
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Something new from Hardwire > > >

Here's some MORE INFO
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Another vote for the plate setting in digital reverbs. The spring simulation seems to fall a little short. I have two Lexicon Alex's that I have had for 10 years.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Atom Schmitt

Post by Atom Schmitt »

I like old Fenders for the most part, but those reverbs can be touchy and they sound better on some amps than others. The best one I had for steel is gone now, too. But, more importantly, if you're on a stage where the kick drum can cause your tank to rattle, it's really better to have a pedal no matter how good your spring reverb sounds. Even if that gig only happens once in a blue moon, I'd rather be prepared than stuck without reverb, especially if I'm playing steel.

I've used a Strymon Blue Sky, a Strymon Flint, and the plate reverbs on my Eleven Rack a lot in the past, but I'm most blown away by the Dr. Scientist Reverberator. It's got a nice boost knob built in, which seems to add something that's hard to define but really great. Did the weekend with that pedal, which I got on the way to Saturday night's gig. Just the Reverberator, a Malekko 616 delay for a couple tunes, my Sho-Bud, and my Webb. I've got to say, I've never been happier with the Sho-Bud/Webb combination, and we all know that's a pretty good combo to begin with. So, to get a demonstrable improvement from a pedal was pretty impressive to me.
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Yeah...I had a topic awhile back on that pedal HERE
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

The engineering staff at Strymon think this is their best reverb pedal. Just leave the tremolo off if you don't want it. I have one, and it's fantastic.

http://www.strymon.net/products/flint/

Brad