Carter Starter Pickup Rout

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Clinton Erb

Carter Starter Pickup Rout

Post by Clinton Erb »

Hey guys,

I've had this Carter-Starter for a while and I've been experimenting with different pickups. I've wound up sticking with a '50s Classic Telecaster Bridge pickup for the past couple years because it is so incredibly bright. The only problem with it is that it is designed for a 6 string, so the strings on the either end wind up being quiet or inaudible. At first I didn't care, but now I finally realized that it had effected my own playing so much that I only use 6 strings on a 10 string instrument.

I've got a '60s Fender 800 pickup here that I would like to put in, but the big issue is that the pickup is too big for the rout. My biggest concern in widening the pickup route is that (those of you who are familiar with this particular guitar will know what I'm speaking of) I believe the two pieces of wood on either side of the rout are under string tension. I'm afraid that if I chisel those two bits of wood out, then the bridge will rip off of the whole guitar.

I purchased the pickup for next to nothing so I'm not concerned if the enlarge-the-rout idea winds up not working. I figured that you guys would know better than I and could provide some advice.

Clint
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Hi Clinton. I would probaby not want to mess with routing out the neck of you carrter starter for a new pick up for 2 reasons.
1-You may get it in there and like the origianl one better. Carter starter pickiups are designed for maxiimun sound quality for this guitar otherwise they would have put in a tele pickup.
2- If you do this and make a mess with it you will be depreciatiing the value of the start guitar.

I would say t ostick with a pickup that fits the guitar, or like I did when I had my carter starter, save up money for a new steel. Of course this is just my humble opinion, there are going to be as many opionions as there are forumites here.
I,like you play a tele and love that super crisp twangy bridge puickup but I dont want my steel to sound like a tele. Hope this helps
:)
Last edited by Quentin Hickey on 12 Aug 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Altering the Carter may decrease the resale value. If you prefer a brighter tone, my recomendation would be to send the original pickup to Jerry Wallace at 'Truetone Pickups' for a rewind. He will wind it to the specs that will yield the desired results.