David Barnes Vintage 47 amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Nottage

David Barnes Vintage 47 amps

Post by James Nottage »

There has been some discussion in the past, but I am wondering if any of you have recent experiences with the new-made amps done by this individual such as the Valco, Supro, etc.

James
Clinesmith S-8; Pettingill P6; Rick-Style Vintage 47 Amp
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

I'd like to hear some user-reviews by steel guitarists of the 'without pedals' variety, too. I was pretty impressed with his work when the original thread came up, but havn't heard much since.
James Nottage

Post by James Nottage »

Thanks, Ron. I should have been more clear in that I am particularly interested in this with reference to use of these with non-pedal steel.

James
James Nottage

Post by James Nottage »

I also should have posted his web site:

http://www.vintage47amps.com/files/
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

This may not be much help, but I have a one of their 2x12 extension cabs, and the cabinet construction is top-notch.

I have a few of the original amps that inspired their designs, and the clips I've heard of their new amps sound pretty darn close.
Rick Stratton

Post by Rick Stratton »

Here's mine:

I think they sound fantastic with my vintage lap steels.
Nice & warm octal-tube goodness!
I used it live, with a full band (mic'ed) and it kept up great.
I sold my 1st one to our other guitarist (I wanted tweed) and he loves it too. He plays it at band rehearsal un-mic'ed, and it's loud enough. 12 watts.

David's a great guy, and really stands behind his products.

I also bought a VanAmps spring reverb unit to match.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Moved to Electronics from Steel Without Pedals. Please post in the appropriate forum section.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jon Flynn

Vintage 47

Post by Jon Flynn »

I'll go on record here to say I absolutely love mine. I have the Dobro tweed style, 10 inch, 12 watt. It looks almost identical to Rick Stratton's. I use it with a Fender Champ and with a Rickenbacher B6. I've also used it in rehearsal with my Stringmaster. I've used it mic'd and not, clean and dirty (jumpering inputs, not pedal enhanced). Great, great warm, "vintage" tone. The amp gets lots of compliments from fellow musicians on its tone and its gorgeous looks.
Previously, I was using a Blues Jr. A great amp, but I was really having trouble finding "my happy place." I stumbled upon Vintage 47 and haven't looked back.
David is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable. This newsletter (third heading down under "Octal Amp Q&A") really piqued my interest in his replications of the old amps:
http://www.vintage47amps.com/files/index.php?id=57
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Those amps look so cool.

I wish there were some good audio demos of these played with lap steel and approached David about doing some but it never panned out.

If those of you who own them would be so kind, I'd love to hear what they sound like (both clean and dirty).