Does anyone know how to use a Mackie 1202 VLZ?

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Quillian

Does anyone know how to use a Mackie 1202 VLZ?

Post by James Quillian »

This is an old mixer but it works fine.

I am trying to solve a latency problem. Will this work? I want to plug an instrument into channel 1 and send that channel through an M-Audio Delta 66 interface for recording. At the same time I would like to plug the Delta 66 audio out channnels into the mixer. Is there a way to hear channel 1 through the headphones at the same at the same time it is routed to the interface? I would disable live monitoring on the recording program.
Al Carey

Post by Al Carey »

I think you could use the effects sends from the Mackie to the delta's input. The delta's outputs could be fed into another of the Mackie's inputs.

I hope this is clear, I just woke up. :\
Sierra U-12, MSA Classic D-10, Gretsch 6120, Fender Tele, Gibson LP Jr, old tube amps, etc...
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

From your post, I get that you want to record another track along with an already recorded track but there is too much latency.

What you need to do is take the recorded track's output, feed it to one channel on the mixer, feed that track to a separate channel on your recording interface unit and to a new track in the recording program. Run whatever you want to record with that track to another channel on your recording interface and to a new track in the recording program. That should get as low/close as you can with the latency, since you will be recording both tracks at the same time. Set up your monitoring, on the recording device, so you can hear both inputs only.

I'm not familiar with the Delta 66, but I suppose it can be done. I have a Roland Octa Capture and an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R and I can do that with both of them (although I don't have the latency problems you are having and can record with a previously recorded track).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Mark Butcher

Post by Mark Butcher »

The way I used my 1202 was to hook the ALT 34 outputs to the input of my interface. The mute button on each channel directs to Alt34 when engaged. You can run all your sources and the output of the interface into the mixer inputs and simply press mute on the channel(s) you want to record. Made everything very easy. Does that fit with what you want to do?

MArk
James Quillian

Post by James Quillian »

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally got it to work right using the ALT outputs. But the main problem was that I had the setting wrong on the Delta 66 control panel