Greatest steel builder

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Neil Rogerson

Greatest steel builder

Post by Neil Rogerson »

David, I had not heard of Chucks passing......I just want you to know that one of the most exciting and rewarding times of my life was the time I shared with Chuck at Sierra and hunting in eastern Oregon and the other things that friends do with friends....
I'm still wrestling that double twelve Sierra we built when Harlow boonswaggled us into going back to0 work after he lost his donkey........If Chuck is in heaven and we've all prayed he is.....several of us will be joining him soon.....Rudy Alexander is pretty ill also....God Bless,,
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Neil,
thank you , My Dad thought a lot of you, as I do, Love to see some pictures of the D12.... Very sorry to hear about rudy, what a great guy , stay in touch ....David..

Jeremiah Hanley

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

David, you sure have our condolences! I'm sure our words of sympathy can't take away the hurt in your heart. There's a gospel song that says, "Jesus cares, O yes, He cares, His heart is touched with our grief"! Back on December 16, 1993 we brought my dad home to live with us and the next day, I found him dead. My sister had just talked to him, 10 minutes prior to that. The hurt of his passing is still there! I guess maybe time will lessen the pain of his passing. Our prayer for you is that God will give you comfort! Death is something that will come to us all. It's a part of life!
Jerry and Venda
Dan Burnham

Sorry David

Post by Dan Burnham »

David,
Sorry to hear about your father passing, you are in my prayers,

Dan
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
Lee Gillespie

Chuck Wright

Post by Lee Gillespie »

David... Just read about your dad. I am truly sorry to hear about Chuck passing. I was with Neil in Gresham when we started to build the latest inovative steel. I did the machine work on the first 10 made. Being a steel player I was thrilled that I was going to work with "the man". He truly was the person who advanced the style and workings of a Pedal steel. Lee Gillespie
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

David, I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. I first met him in 1963 in Proberta, CA when he built my first Wright Custom after seeing Norm Hamlet's triple neck.
I loved going to his home in Citrus Heights-Orangevale area in Sacramento. He was working on his new changer from Wright Custom to the Sierra models.
In July of '69 at Dewey Groom's Longhorn Ballroom near Dallas, I was with him when He asked Curly Chalker to look at Vance Terry's tiered pedal guitar for his perusal. Oh how he would've loved for Curly to play a Wright-built guitar.
His passion for the steel guitar was only surpassed by his genuine warmth. Not only did he play but he was always thinking of how to improve his craft. The last time I saw him was at MSA in 1973. I'm sorry I lost contact with him over the years.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Lee I did not know that you worked there. I came in after Chuck left and stayed about 6 mo's before I went back to substitute teaching and coaching in the Portland Public School system.

Larry Behm
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

:D thanks guy's...
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Larry Behm wrote:Lee I did not know that you worked there. I came in after Chuck left and stayed about 6 mo's before I went back to substitute teaching and coaching in the Portland Public School system.

Larry Behm
.... I was hired after Larry decided to leave. In fact, he trained me to for the job. I worked there for about 3 or 4 years.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Sincere condolences to David and the rest of Chuck's family and friends. He left quite a legacy in the steel guitar community.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Lee Gillespie

Chuck Wright

Post by Lee Gillespie »

Hi Larry...Yes. I was there when the two brothers owned it. At that time Chuck was trying to figure out how to mount the removable pickups...One day he pass a toy store and noticed the tracks on a model railroad train and thats where it came together. We then put together a guitar for Red Rhodes to take to a show somewhere. But one day the brothers called me in and said they were broke and I was let go. Ahhh memories Lee
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

David.
Just read the post about the passing of your Father.
Robin & I send our sympathy to you and the Family.
Jimmy