Reversing A and B Pedals

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Hubert Rogers

Reversing A and B Pedals

Post by Hubert Rogers »

Hello, I am a newbie to the Forum and need some info on reversing A and B pedals
I didn't know if it was just exchanging the push pull rods or is there more to it.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

If you are talking about changing from Emmons setup (A,B,C pedals) to a Day setup C,B,A, pedals), it's not that difficult, DEPENDING on what guitar you have and how mechanically inclined you are. If it's one of the more recent all pull guitars, it's not bad. If it is actually a push pull (you mentioned push pull rods in your post) it will be more difficult, again depending on your ability.

By the way, if you also have a C pedal, you really don't want to swap around A & B. The B pedal needs to be next to the C pedal. If you don't have a C pedal, then no problem. To switch from Emmons to Day setup, you switch A & C and leave B in the middle. Should just be a matter of moving he existing rods to the new changes. You may have to adjust the amount of pedal travel.

Tell us what guitar you have and someone will be able to help you in detail.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Hubert Rogers

Post by Hubert Rogers »

The mechanics is not a problem, I started out with a steel that A and B was reversed then I traded for a Sho Bud and took a course from Jeff Newman and was talking to him about the pedals way back when and he told me his pedals were reversed. Not a big deal just thought if it was easy, I would try it, anyway, I didn't know if anybody switched the Sho Bud pedals, and no they are not push pull rods. Just aluminum pedal rods with return springs
Richard Sinkler

When Jeff talks about his pedals being reversed, he is not talking about A & B, but is talking about A & C. B is the same.

Jeff's 3 pedals are (Day setup):
[tab]
C B A

F#
D#
G#............A
E.......F#
B.......C#.........C#
G#............A
F#
E
D
B..................C#[/tab]

To "reverse" them would be (Emmons setup):
[tab]
A B C

F#
D#
G#............A
E...................F#
B......C#...........C#
G#............A
F#
E
D
B......C#
[/tab]

If you have a Sho~Bud, it should just be a matter of changing the rods around, and assuming either a rack & barrel, or two hole puller with barrels, if the rods as they are placed now are long enough, just place barrels where you need to make the changes work on the other pedal. If they aren't long enough, you will need to switch the rods around. Then adjust the barrels and you should be good to go with the possibility that you may have to lengthen or shorten the pedal travel. If you have a permanent or Maverick, it will be different, or not easily done (the permanent is called that for a good reason).
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Hubert Rogers

Post by Hubert Rogers »

OK thanks for the info, it makes since now.
Ken Becker

Post by Ken Becker »

:roll: while on the subject of pull rods ,,i have found that a good, cheap and easy to adjust rod is alumnimmmm welding rods avaliabe at any local weld shop. they come in about 3' lengths and any collers will fit nicely,,they also bend easley for a 90 degree connection,,just bend them slow,,ken
Ken Becker

Post by Ken Becker »

OPPS,,,I forgot to mention they can also be threaded and put togather with a 6-32 internal threaded spacer and a lock nut ,,,maks for easy adjustments ,,,ken
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you change to the Day setup you will have to also consider the knee levers. You may have to change some of those. e.g. with the Emmons setup, normally the LKL raises the E's, if you go the Day setup you need that on the LKR lever, etc.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

Jack makes a good point. If your E raises and lowers are on your left knee, as mine are, you will have to switch them around also.