Stage One assistance

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Rorie

Stage One assistance

Post by Richard Rorie »

I'm picking up a used Stage One tomorrow, and I was hoping someone here could post some basic instructions for tuning it in case it's not self explanatory. (first psg) I'm going to try and get a manual from Doug, and I think I'll be able to re-string, basic tune, etc. but just may need a hand with fine tuning the raises and lowers. As in... which tuners do what!

Just maybe a simple diagram of the end plate pointing out the stops and adjusters for raise and lower, before I get it hopelessly out of whack.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

shoot me an email & i'll send you a manual Richard
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Rule number 1: Whatever you do don't adjust the red ones.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Edited due to possibly incorrect/misleading advice given.
Last edited by richard burton on 20 Jul 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Richard,

I think some of the comments here are incorrect, per the Stage One Manual. I am sure Doug will sent you one via email: he is always fast to respond. And there is Crowbear's offer. Get the manual and follow it. If for some reason neither comes through with the manual, contact me and I can send you a photo of mine. The "manual" is only two pages.

In a nutshell, you tune all strings open first, then tune the raises as with an all-pull guitar, at the tuning nuts. You can tell which nuts by activating the pedals and seeing which nuts move (and indeed, do not adjust the red ones). The lowers are adjusted with the socket-head screws in the top of endplate.

You should get (and will need) two wrenches to tune: a 5mm (3/16") socket and an allen wrench (sorry, I don't know the size, and the manual does not specify. If no one chimes in, a set of small Allen's should work, if I only new if it was metric or SAE!). These wrenches come with the guitar, so you should not need to buy them unless the owner has lost them (they do hold tune well enough you hardly need them!).

Good luck with the Stage One... I could tell you what a great guitar you are getting...but others (like Michael Douchette) say it with far more authority.

Cheers,

Doug
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Steve Humes

Post by Steve Humes »

Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Richard, you're going to want to wait until you get the manual either hard copy or emailed. The online tuning chart does not instruct you how to tune it. You need to know the combination of pedals to depress to tune them. Also there are two seperate tools to use. The hex driver and a small allen wrench for the different tuner adjusters. As mentioned before, the steel stays in tune exceptionally well, but if you don't know what is needed, it's best to wait for the manual.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Richard Rorie

Post by Richard Rorie »

Well, I picked it up today, and so far I'm impressed! Many thanks to Crowbear for the manual.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Glad to know you got the manual Rick
as you know Stuart gave you rule # 1
the Stage one is a reliable & easy steel to tune
give me ( or us ) a shout if needed...;-)
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Tune your 2, 4, and 8-string lowers with the small allen wrench. Activate the lever, then tune the stop to pitch. Do not use the nylon tuners (painted in red) for these lowers. These levers should be in tune anyway when you get the guitar.

A buddy of mine came by the house last weekend with his Stage One. He had moved the red nylon tuners, so the E lowers were out of whack. We had to roll them back until they stopped affecting the tuning of the string while open, then adjust the lower with the allen wrench with lever engaged.

Sounds like Crowbear has you all sorted out anyway.

These are great sounding steels.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Jos Roderkerken

Post by Jos Roderkerken »

Im a stage one player aswell..

I really enjoy playing but shes has serious issues with warmth :P Normally she doesnt need much tuning but when its hot ( like today) brr she really hates me ;)

Has anyone tell you the proper way of tuning your psg yet?

First normal, then the raises finaly the lowers and After that fine tune your open strings?

http://www.jeffran.com/tuning.php

Do NOT turn the small plasic screws (mine doesnt have Red markers ;) )
Why are you playing an ironingboard??

rriigghhtt