I still miss Don Ritch

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ed Phipps

I still miss Don Ritch

Post by Ed Phipps »

Today is the anniversary of Don Rich leaving us 38 years ago.
He was just a few days short of his 33rd birthday.

For some of you younger guys he was the Bandleader of the Buckaroos, the backing band for Buck Owens.
While not a steel player, in my opinion he was a great musician, performer and entertainer.

A listen may be found here for their Carnage Hall concert in 1966.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmeuGASUfMo

A short bio is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Rich
Tim Moe

Post by Tim Moe »

Thanks Ed for your post.
I remember the sad news at the time, Buck was devastated. I know a little of Buck died that day as well, I guess more than a little. What a fine young man Don Rich was. I'm glad we can still enjoy him through his music.
Fred Martin

Post by Fred Martin »

Was just listening to the Together Again alblum yesterday. Don could make that telecaster ring and made those little runs that seem pretty simple until you try and incorporate them into your playing. How do you get to think like that. And the harmony with Buck made one voice that you cant forget. Thanks for the post.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Even though the Buckaroos had some great steel players, I really think Don made the Buckaroos and defined their sound.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dana Blodgett

anniversary of Don Rich's death

Post by Dana Blodgett »

I agree with Ed and Richard, Don was the Man! He had such a stage prescence that was solid as a rock,he also had a great voice too.I was living in Bakersfield at the time trying to scratch out a living,two years later I had moved to Los Osos which is about 5 miles from where he was killed.
He was one of the first people I noticed who could play more than one instrument well.
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

If Don had lived, would he have become a Superstar in his own right ? He certainley had the talent, good looks and personality. Would Buck have helped him along or kept him under his thumb and control ?
Sacramento Western Swing Society Hall of Fame, 1992
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I don't think so Billy. He seemed like the kind of guy that would like to hang back and make someone else, well Buck, a superstar. He must have known he was a superstar in all musician's eyes.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Don Rich was one of the best Tele pickers I ever had the pleasure of meeting when I was on the west coast doin' mah thang,I regret I never got to jam with him but I learned a lot just by listening to him.

RIP Donnie boy,you are missed.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Don was a super talent. I would love to hear him and old Buck sing together again.
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I remember as a kid going to the barber shop and seeing Buck Owens pictures on the wall. I had no idea who he was but today I appreciate the music he gave us. Hearing Don and Tom and the guys play demonstrates how unique their sound was. Thanks for the link because I sure had never heard it before and I will be listening again.
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Dana Blodgett

I still miss Don Rich

Post by Dana Blodgett »

I don't know about anyone else but I love it and appreciate you posting this,still makes me sad, he seemed to have it all goin for him...prescence, good looks, great voice, could play lead & rythym guitar and the violin...
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Jaclyn Jones

Post by Jaclyn Jones »

I started playing guitar after I saw Don and Buck at a county fair in WV. I was 12 and it took some doing to get my Dad to buy a guitar. Don and Buck got me going and I have not slowed down yet!
http://www.myspace.com/jaclynjones
http://www.youtube.com/user/jackiej1950
Lots of guitars, banjos, mandos and a Mullen G2-D10,PAC D10, 1966 Marlen D10,Line6 x3 Pro, Peavey Powerslide, Michael Kelly Dobro and a "Fox Vintage Amp" model 5F8A. Oh Yea, a very patient husband.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I won't count for much, but I do still recall what I was doing the moment I learned of Don's passing. It was a shock, but I'm pleased now to recall his wonderful music and showmanship.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Dale Bennett

Don Rich

Post by Dale Bennett »

I had met Don when I was in Ca. Then when I left Ray Price band I Moved to Okc, which is where i am from. After I settled down here and worked clubs,Buck and the guys were taping thier Buck Owens show here in Okc at Channel 4, after the day of taping, Don, Buddy Allen Tony Booth and the guys would come to where I was playing and jam and have a good time, I just loved being around Don and the guys. One day I went out and got in my car, the radio came on and I heard the annoucer say something about the late Don Rich, I was stunned I sat there and listen on and he said what had happened. I couldn't believe it, I just sat there for a while and cried. Like you guy, I still miss him so much and have great memories. I'm still in touch with Tony, Jerry. I'm sorry to make this so long but it hit a soft spot in my heart. db
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Dale, I have that story about you and Al Bruno and myself in my book that time we came to your house and Al almost hit your car driving backward in the snow on a one way street.Don & Buck was always cool with me.I miss them all too! RIP our friends. :cry: Uncle = Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.