Ray Walker...RIP

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

My deepest sympathy's to RAY'S family and he will sure be missed on this forum may""GOD BLESS""
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Palmer

Ray's passing

Post by Palmer »

I was deeply saddened when I received Deb's call concerning Ray's passing.I truly felt as though someone in my family had passed away.I visited Ray many many times and never felt more welcome in anyone else's home than his. We worked and played music thgether for many years. I have never had a better friend. Thank you Ray and God bless. Mary Ann and my prayer's go out to Deb and the family.Jack Palmer.
Glen E. Lanning

Post by Glen E. Lanning »

I too would like to add my condolenceses to Ray's family. I remember meeting Ray at one of our first MASGA jams. And I believe about one year later he was presented a MASGA award for most improved steel player. He took his steel playing seriously. He was a very special person. I will pray for his family because we know where Ray is at this moment. He was ready to meet the lord!
Past Secretary/President, MASGA
Mullen U12 (2004)
ShoBud Professional (1970)D10 8/4
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112
Bill Erchul

Post by Bill Erchul »

Although we lived just a county apart, I never had the pleasure of meeting Ray. Given all the tributes here, clearly this was my loss. My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends who will miss him dearly. Here's the link to today's N & O obit:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsob ... =158100920
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

Talk about being floored. I can't think of anything to say that has already been said. I have talked to Ray many times in the room and on the phone and in person. He truly was one of a kind, and will truly be missed. My prayers go out to Deb and the family.
David Evans

Post by David Evans »

I owe a great dept to Ray, he got me back into music after I quit for 10 years. I met him at the MASGA show in Wilson 10 years or so ago and he invited me to play lead guitar at Robert McGees Beaver Creek Barn. We played together there for several years. Recently we played together in 2 different bands and recorded together on Eric Strickland and the B-Sides CD.He did a great job. I use to play steel and really enjoyed talking steel with him and about all famous pickers he knew. He was a super nice guy , good friend and I will really miss him.
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

So sad to read of Rays passing, he will be missed by all of us R.I.P.
Buddy Elkin

Post by Buddy Elkin »

My condolences.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

In the short time I knew Ray I was honored to know him. Ray was one of a kind, a man I admired greatly for his love of his fellow musicians, dedication to helping fellow musicians and his compassion for steel gutiar music. I will miss him very much. My condolences to the family.
doug jernigan

Ray Walker

Post by doug jernigan »

I heard of Ray's passing just last night. I am so sorry. Ray was a good friend of mine and a good Christian man. I know Ray is in heaven, but I will miss him. My condolescences to the family.

Doug Jernigan
William Gothard

A celebration of an honest man

Post by William Gothard »

I regret that I never had the pleasure to meet Ray in person. I purchased a steel seat from Ray three years ago. I told him that I only lived a short distance away down I-95 and I passed by his town frequently. I was willing to stop by and pick up my seat when it was completed to save the shipping cost and save Ray the trouble of packing and shipping the seat. Imagine my surprise a couple of weeks later when my seat arrived on my porch. Ray had shipped the seat and never charged me a dime. He called and explained there was no Walker emblem on the seat because he was ordering new ones and they had not arrived. Again, after I had long forgotten about the missing emblem, a package arrived from Ray, then a phone call to explain that he sent both kinds of emblems in case I didn't want to drill holes to install the new version. Last year the black plug on one leg of my seat fractured and fell out. I called Ray and asked to buy a replacement. He sent me not one, but a package of replacements and did not charge me. Ray was a skilled craftsman and an honest businessman. Not knowing what a complete amateur I am, Ray always mentioned in our phone conversations that he looked forward to getting together sometime and trading licks. Ray, I still look forward to that time in Heaven. My condolences to the Walker family
"America's Favorite General"
Johnny Howington

A Great Loss

Post by Johnny Howington »

So thankful for all the good times I shared with Ray. I remember the last time I went to his house and spent the day playing the steel to tracks. We laughed and played and had just a great day. Ray also showed me how he built steel guitar cases. We went out to eat lunch and just talked and told old stories and had a wonderful time. You wonder why things happen the way they do. I'm glad I took that day to spend with Ray and will always cherish his memories. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

I was so saddened to receive this terrible news. I have been away for over a month and was not on top of things. I only read and posted to Ray's worsening condition. My heart goes out to Ray's widow, Deb. May you find peace in the good memories you have of Ray.
To me, Ray was a new-found friend and a great man to talk to. This came as a shock to me and I will miss him dearly.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

I will miss my good friend Ray and I wish that I had a chance to spend a day in his Steel Guitar room and he and I jamming together but that did not happen and I wish I had done that one thing with Ray.I had been out into his shop and helped him with some of the seats he was building and then we went out to lunch with the girls and had a great time together.I will miss all those good times we spent together.I went to the memorial yesterday and when they played a song and Ray was singing it and it just tore me up.Some day I will be with Ray and playing Steel Guitar with him.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Ray Thomas

Ray Walker

Post by Ray Thomas »

Wayne Morgan

Post by Wayne Morgan »

One of my great memories of Ray were, no matter how much of a crazy statement you made to Ray, he would come back with an answer. You had to get up pretty early, to try an get something on Ray.
Loved his humor
Wayne
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I had the pleasure of meeting Ray at Chuck Campbell's place, a few years ago and I agree, he was just a super likable guy. I don't think that I ever forget anyone like Ray. My condolences to his family. And yes I believe that there is another life after this.
Lee Johnson

Deb& Derick& Family

Post by Lee Johnson »

I will be Praying for you and Family , I will also remember Ray , at the church with his song The Center Cross, GOD BLESS YOU <and all the Family Lee Johnson
Steel Guitar Makes Gospel Music Even Better
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

When Ray Walker new he was going to be with God about a month before his passing he wrote a song with his son Cody. Ray made up the music and his son and Ray wrote the words for this song. If I can get a copy form Deb or Cody I'm Hoping some one could put it on the Steeling on the Web. The name of the song is.

I WALK WITH THE ANGELS.

What a beautiful song this is and a beautiful sound with Ray Singing it.We all heard it at his Memorial and I don't think we will every forget that song. Ray will always in my thoughts.I have his Obituary along with two of my Steel Guitar Buddy's from Rhode Island who passed away on my Steel Guitar room wall right beside my Steel Guitar. When I sit and play I look over at the three of them and remember all the great times I had with these three Great buddy's.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Allen Howington

We all miss him

Post by Allen Howington »

Thanks Sam, we all do miss him very much, what a friend he was to us all---even to those that didn't know him, if you love steel guitar he loved you, and you would love him back when you met him.

Here is the YouTube link to his song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwrXaDjK-UY

Steel buddy,

Allen Howington
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Thank You Allen that was super. I will always go on and listen to Ray Playing that song.
Sam white
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

So sorry to hear this.... RIP Ray....
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Bob Simmons

rip

Post by Bob Simmons »

so sorry- a great great friend RIP
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hear I'am listening to my Buddy Ray Walker play his Rains Steel Guitar to the song he wrote and played. It also has words to it that I heard him sing My Walk With The Angles.I will do this every week as long as I live.I miss him dearly he was a great friend.
Sam White
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Here I am back again listening to my great friend and Buddy Mister Ray Walker and the song he wrote. I will always be honored to keep coming on this thread to listen to him play this song that he wrote and came up with the music for it on the Steel guitar. He also had the words for it.I will watch and try to learn this song that Ray wrote so I can play it every month in my Steel Guitar Room.
REST IN PEACE MY GOOD FRIEND.
Sam White