Traditional Hawaiian Music is here!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Montee

Traditional Hawaiian Music is here!

Post by Ray Montee »

Tommy O's is the place! This fine restaurant/lounge is located in downtown Vancouver, Washington, at 801 Washington Street.

Roland Espe appears in the dining area each Friday evening from 5-7 Pm while "AL", another great Hawaiian vocalist appears in the lounge every other Friday from 6-9 Pm.

I've heard that they occasionally include a Hawaiian Steel Guitarist on stage........so don't miss the show if you like authentic Hawaiian music.

Let's support our 'live musicians'.........
Ray Montee

Of interest to steel guitarists everywhere!

Post by Ray Montee »

Just got home after an evening of 100% pleasureable listening to one fine Hawaiian entertainer. He does a one man program and what beautiful music this Hawaiian puts out.

I've never ever heard ANYONE play accompaniment like he does. It sounds like SLACK Key but it isn't and
he does a lot of subtle jazz chords to move up and down the neck. I enjoyed his playing as much as his beautiful vocals. He emphasizes where appropriate and likewise retards similarly. He uses a 'harmonizer' on his vocals and it really gives him a BIG Sound.

I'll be playing with him tomorrow night, again over in Vancouver, WA.-USA,

Any steel player would enjoy hearing an evening of his music.
Ray Montee

I love that Hawaiian music for steel guitar!

Post by Ray Montee »

Well, the last thing I want to do is create an aire of hostility or situation whereby I would likely get flamed however, I must say:

I played Hawaiian yesterday afternoon in a picturesque, historical Ft.Vancouver with its' beautiful 'young' REDWOODS, early 1900's building structures and neatly kept lawns. I witnessed an authentic gov't Park Ranger complete with Smokey the Bear flat brimmed hat, giving a personalized tour to two tourists.

My little 7-string Rickenbacher and Fender Junior amp played our hearts out between 5-7 PM in a very relaxed, smoke-free environment with lots of eye candy, a full Hawaiian dinner and free drinks........

Oh, I nearly forgot! I went home with a full $200.00 in my pocket after having played for less than two hours.

Sure beats knocking one's brains out playing in some lousey/noisey beer joint or truck stop for $30-$40.00 bucks for four hours effort.
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

I wish I could be out that way to check it out Ray!
Brian
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

That's great, Ray!
What was the event at the Fort that you played?
Are you playing at the big Hawaiian event in Vancouver next weekend?
pete b.

Here's the link to the upcoming Hawaiian Festival.
http://hawaiianfestivalpnw.com/
Ray Montee

Hawaiian Music on the steel guitar.....................

Post by Ray Montee »

Hi PETE!

Hadn't heard anything about the event you were kind enough to mention, altho' earlier this afternoon, I was contacted and asked if I would be available on Saturday July 21st. No idea as yet what kind of event is scheduled.

Yesterdays program was a wedding reception done up all Hawaiian by a local couple that was married in Hawaii last May and they decided to hold this event for those friends that had not made the Hawaiian formalities.

It was indoors with air conditioning and no wind.....

Lot's of pleasant fun, to be sure.
Thanx for you comments.
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Ray
sound like you found a place to put your grate talent to good use --

whats chances you becoming part of the Hawaii’n gig ??
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I wish I were nearer, but it's a long haul from Oakland, CA. :(
Ray Montee

A wunnerful day for me...............

Post by Ray Montee »

Today, I enjoyed the visit of another Hawaiian Bruddah and his lovely Uke player, singer and dancer.
We played great music for about 1/2 hour then they had to leave. The ground work was layed for a summer of Hawaiian music events that I can hardly wait to experience.

Every song he sang, is one that I knew and had played over and over for years in my cobweb infested mind. What a great joy to be able to play the music one loves. No wonder JERRY BYRD was so happy to be in Hawaii.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Those folks In attendance were very lucky ... :mrgreen:
Ray Montee

What a great day!

Post by Ray Montee »

So very nice to hear from YOU, Rick!

I so truly value your friendship.