Is this a good buy for a first steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Rorie

Is this a good buy for a first steel?

Post by Richard Rorie »

This is ending on ebay soon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130724151640?ss ... 500wt_1413

Opinions?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

There is no way of knowing how good condition the mechanics are.
it could be a marvelous guitar, or it could be a garbage scow.
I would ask the seller when's the last time it was lubricated, and whether it has been refurbished.
That said, it is f ing gorgeous.
In general, I would not recommend a 40 year old ebay guitar as somebody's first steel

The one picture of the underside makes me think it is probably good. But just probably.

EDIT: Chuck and Fred both make good points.
The Stage One or the new Justice model will have a guarantee of being mechanically sound.
And that rack and barrel system is a little clunky and a lot heavy.
Last edited by Lane Gray on 12 Jul 2012 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

Richard - Im far from an expert but I think for a beginner you would be much better served getting a brand new Stage One Steel for the same if not cheaper price.

Im sure guys who spend time working on and adjusting steels would prefer the vintage sho-bud.

Newbies just want to sit down and learn to play
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Richard this might be a better option for you, certainly a lot lighter. :D
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=229768
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

It might be. There are some non-stock (knee-levers) and later model ((2-hole pullers on RKL) parts, but it all looks well done.

PRO: probably great tone, easy to work on, beautiful cabinet

CON: These guitars need a lot of tweaking when it comes to holding in tune. Also, it's the "The devil you don't know"

If the guy will allow returns (say 72 hrs) I'd consider it, based on it's looks and probable tone.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

That could be a great steel. I own the same model, which I purchased for $1200 here on the forum 3 or 4years back. I bought from a very trustworthy seller, and was confident that the condition was satisfactory. I ended up rebuilding the steel, which took about 80 hours; it plays great, and the tone is incredible!

If I were you, and interested in an older Bud, I'd watch the forum and ask a lot of questions. You'll pay more than $1000, but for your first steel, you probably want to play it, not spend an eternity getting to play.

By the way, I posted similarly before buying my second steel. I was told to definitely NOT buy an old Bud by the majority, and that I should get something modern and lightweight. I didn't listen, bought for tone, and couldn't be happier.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

If it was me, I'd definitely buy one of Fred's guitars 8) ....no question about it!
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Dave Bertoncini

Post by Dave Bertoncini »

I'd go for Fred's guitar...without a second thought
Last edited by Dave Bertoncini on 12 Jul 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

that sho-bud would be great for learning and beyond. most people would be lucky to have that for a first guitar. sound would be good and easy to change set-ups on. what's the matter with all you snobs? you won't get anything better for 1k.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

The guy does have 1--% good feedback, 36 transactions, but you can't tell if he bought it, found it needed help, and is passing it on...you could try a phone call to have a real conversation about the provenance of the steel...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

If I was starting out, I'd probably go with the new Justice SD-10
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

That's some beautiful birdseye on that Bud.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

The more I think about it the more inclined I am to go recommend the Sho-Bud. I started out on one and only sold it to make room for a double-10 ZB . It was a great sounding guitar....plus exceptionally easy to work on. I was able to change my pedals and knees levers around within the first couple months of purchase. In my opinion, it's impossible to screw things up too badly. The SR/SL rack and barrel system is very simple conceptually. Usually any mechanical problems are easily fixed.

The fact that there are guys out currently making parts for these vintage guitars (Michael Yahl and James Moreland) is another plus.

Lastly, this guitar will probably hold it's current value better than a new student model. The latter typically de-value once placed in the used guitar market.

If you want to get the sound that made steel guitar famous in the early 60s, this would be a great guitar for years to come.
Allen Kentfield

first steel

Post by Allen Kentfield »

Rack and barrel pedal tuners suck. They slip out of tune. Get a Sho-Bud with the plastic hex tuners. 8)
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

My personal experience with rack and barrell Buds is the same as the estimable Mr. Kentfield. Ricky Davis can make them work wonderfully, but he's in Texas and not in NC. And he's really booked up. So there's the added expense and time factor involved.

If it's your first steel, I'd make a different choice and go with a guitar from a dealer. There's many, many Sho~Buds to choose from should you decide on one after getting a little experience with the instrument.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Herb Steiner wrote:My personal experience with rack and barrell Buds is the same as the estimable Mr. Kentfield. Ricky Davis can make them work wonderfully, but he's in Texas and not in NC. And he's really booked up. So there's the added expense and time factor involved.

If it's your first steel, I'd make a different choice and go with a guitar from a dealer. There's many, many Sho~Buds to choose from should you decide on one after getting a little experience with the instrument.
I respectfully disagree. Although I had to tune the guitar every night, my ShoBud "stayed in" reasonably well. It's perhaps not as reliable as newer guitars, but served may well for over 2 years....and sounded "killer". Most beginners play so out of tune for the first year, that they'll never noticed the shortcomings of a rack'n'barrel guitar anyway 8)
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

I'm a Nooby, and if I didn't own 3 Steels already I'd be on that like a duck on a junebug. I bought one of those light weight guitars, and chased it around the room every time I used the knee levers. Buy that Bud! You will love it. 8)
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i put ten years on a professional rack and barrel. very simple and worked well.
Alan Berdoulay

Post by Alan Berdoulay »

1050 = winner
Daniel Warner

Rack and Barrel

Post by Daniel Warner »

Hi,

I'm a novice player, but after reading the rack and barrel posts on the Forum and diving in, I found that my 6140 plays really well and stays in tune. I took apart and redid all of the brass barrels. I also lubricated all of the moving parts. I have to say it's one sweet guitar. I was tempted by the one on Ebay too.

That said, I certainly see the logic of a modern guitar if you're not a DIY type.

Best regards, Dan
Gear: Sho-Bud 6140, Sierra S10, SGI S10, Dekley S12, Fender Dual 8, Mel-O-Bar, Valco Lap Steel, Session 400, Nashville 112